Raynaud syndrome

Teddy_

Reaction score
If you have Raynaud do you basically have to say goodbye to you're dream of one day becoming a marine? Never been diagnosed with it but it's evident I have it, although it never affected my capabilities on skiing or playing ice hockey I did mention that to the recruiter who is assign to me but haven't heard anything yet! Anyone with information who knows people that still got in or any other branches I could join?

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I believe it is a no to all three services as its on the army website and navy website as being a bar to entry, but I could be wrong.

I believe you can have nerve surgery to correct it, does anyone know if you have that surgery you are still unable to join or is the condition then considered fixed?

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
If you have Raynaud do you basically have to say goodbye to you're dream of one day becoming a marine? Never been diagnosed with it but it's evident I have it, although it never affected my capabilities on skiing or playing ice hockey I did mention that to the recruiter who is assign to me but haven't heard anything yet! Anyone with information who knows people that still got in or any other branches I could join?

Be very carful with self diagnoses. Your medical notes will reflect formal observations and diagnosis.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
If you "actually" have it - it is a bar to entry nil exceptions- if you have it and say nothing - you will certainly know about it in Norway or even on the moors , and when looked at that point and you have it you will be discharged. A rock and a hard place as not diagnosed by a Dr. A careers advisor will not / can not advise on the basis of you saying you think you may have something it is for the medical teams to say yes or no to entry.!

If in service it is viewed differently by each service depending on the working environment -but for RM it a big fat freddie i,m afraid.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

mate. If you haven’t been diagnosed with it and it’s not on your medical record.... then why even mention it....

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
I know I *text deleted*ed up big time bud :/

Unless you are a doctor, your unqualified opinion is just that, and hopefully will given the appropriate attention.

This of course depends on what you’ve actually declared. This is the issue with self diagnosing with Dr Google. Evidence should always come from a medical practitioner.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I know I *text deleted*ed up big time bud :/

I confess that I'm struggling to decipher what is missing from this thread. To be honest, partial information only yields partial answers.

Although you may have mentioned your "evident" Raynaud's to your Careers Adviser what matters is:

1. What you formally declare during your medical interviews.
2. The content of your medical records.

Some observations:

As alluded to by others above your application can only be judged on the basis of factual evidence. Honest disclosure is required but not speculation about conditions which exist only in the imagination.

You mentioned in another thread that you lived in Canada before moving to the UK. If your medical records in Canada state Reynaud's but your UK medical records do not you remain obliged to formally declare your Canadian medical records. If undeclared they will catch up with you eventually.

Although there are sometimes hereditary issues associated with Raynaud's it is probable that you will be assessed on your personal medical records, not those of your kin. This is my understanding but I am not a CA. @The guide might clarify if he spots this.

Teddy_

Reaction score
I confess that I'm struggling to decipher what is missing from this thread. To be honest, partial information only yields partial answers.

Although you may have mentioned your "evident" Raynaud's to your Careers Adviser what matters is:

1. What you formally declare during your medical interviews.
2. The content of your medical records.

Some observations:

As alluded to by others above your application can only be judged on the basis of factual evidence. Honest disclosure is required but not speculation about conditions which exist only in the imagination.

You mentioned in another thread that you lived in Canada before moving to the UK. If your medical records in Canada state Reynaud's but your UK medical records do not you remain obliged to formally declare your Canadian medical records. If undeclared they will catch up with you eventually.

Although there are sometimes hereditary issues associated with Raynaud's it is probable that you will be assessed on your personal medical records, not those of your kin. This is my understanding but I am not a CA. @The guide might clarify if he spots this.
Okay so I'm waiting for my Canadian medical record and I remember mentioning it to my doctor like 5byears ago but I know for a fact she never diagnosed me with it and never did test on me, of my record comes back and no sign of Raynaud what I said to the career advisor will be forgotten? Or are they *text deleted* ask for more details?

Chelonian

Reaction score
...of my record comes back and no sign of Raynaud what I said to the career advisor will be forgotten? Or are they *text deleted* ask for more details?

Your comment to your CA is unlikely to be of any consequence. What matters is the content of your Canadian med records.

My suggestion is that you wait for those to arrive and move forward based upon their contents rather than speculating.

Stick to the facts during all med interviews.

As an aside, one scenario which has cropped up in the past on this forum goes like this:

Candidate casually mentions during telephone or face-to-face med interview:

"Ooh, my aunt once thought that I had an allergy."

What the med examiner hears:

And the application grinds to a sudden halt until the actuality is established.

Teddy_

Reaction score
Your comment to your CA is unlikely to be of any consequence. What matters is the content of your Canadian med records.

My suggestion is that you wait for those to arrive and move forward based upon their contents rather than speculating.

Stick to the facts during all med interviews.

As an aside, one scenario which has cropped up in the past on this forum goes like this:

Candidate casually mentions during telephone or face-to-face med interview:

What the med examiner hears:

And the application grinds to a sudden halt until the actuality is established.
*text deleted* I don't even think it was a career advisor but I could be wrong!! That's his title:

Commonwealth and British Overseas Office Supervisor Royal Navy & Royal Marines Commonwealth and British Overseas Office, Yeomanry House, Handel Street, London WC1N 1NP Email: NAVYCNR-RFF OVERSEAS

Rheebound01

Reaction score
*text deleted* I don't even think it was a career advisor but I could be wrong!! That's his title:

Hey, I know exactly who you're talking about. I'm commonwealth too (Hoping Sec Clearance is all good and have interview next month)

Honestly, with how busy he is and how jam packed his schedule seemed to be, I highly doubt he'd have let them know about what you said. Fingers crossed though, hopefully you dont have to go out of your way to prove its a mis diagnosis or whatever.