Raynaud's Phenomenon/Chilblains - A bar to Entry?

DBenn01

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Lads Hope alls well,

@Ninja_Stoker This ones for you if you have the time,

I read on here you recently telling a lad who described symptoms of Raynaud's Phenomenon in his hands and feet that it can be a bar to entry, is this the case with even very mild symptoms?

In February of this year it was still very cold after the winter and I was feeling pain in my fingers at times and then at other times my fingers were white and very numb - now I knew this was something to worry about because I have never really had great circulation in my fingers and my hands were always ice cold to touch, which I guess was because of my horrible diet and literally no exercise ever back then and in the past. I have always been drawing too and at the time I had been working through the winter on an assignment for college, so my hands were never really protected, they were always out in the open as they have been for years.

I went to get it looked at and sure enough I was told by my GP that I am showing signs of Raynaud's Phenomenon and it could get worse if I didn't take proper care of my hands. So as he put it I was prescribed with gloves!!

I had the gloves for at most a month I'm sure, and soon enough the pain, numbness, icy hands and even the dark red nearly purple fingers that I've always had were completely gone! Thankfully I might add. I haven't felt it and I haven't had any signs ever since and especially recently because of all of the Cardiovascular exercise I've been doing and the changes to my diet, yeah my hands get painful in the cold but nothing different to anyone else in the cold I'd imagine! Otherwise its all been good and I think its clearing up, I have a nice healthy colour in my fingers, but to be safe I'll wear gloves coming into the cold weather now. Just to add my feet have never really been effected.

I was just asking if it is a bar to entry and could it potentially render me PMU'd if it hasn't cleared up or if I haven't gone to the GP to give an update of my situation for my medical records (I have read that if your medical records are updated like that it could be ok in the eyes of the Medical Examiner?).

Because I do understand the nature of the job I want and I know youd be getting wet and cold and warm and wet and cold all over again most of the time during Recruit Training, especially if you become a Royal Marine and go off to do the Mountain Leader course, and I just want to know if this could potentially put a stop to things for me - I hope to God not but just to be sure.

As I said to my girlfriend yesterday, its not about whether I want to be cold and wet or whether I want to be warm and comfortable, its about who I want to be - but if its a technical thing and it says it on paper then I'm afraid my attitude wont be enough!

Thanks Ninja, I know its a lot.

And if there are any lads who have experienced this I'd gladly welcome any comments.

DBenn01

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

DBenn01

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
That message was sent Ninja, just waiting now.