Raynaud's syndrome

lewio

Reaction score
Hi,

It's my first post and really I’m just looking for some general advice or even an answer

I have Raynaud's syndrome (secondary Raynaud's), in terms of my feet I’ve never had any signs of raynaud's present and have only once seen my fingers go white (playing in the snow about 7 years ago) and returned to normal after about 30 seconds. Its never troubled me in anything I’ve did - running in all weather, ski holidays, cold climates - that kind of stuff. I've herd you can grow out of it or just have such a mild case that it will never really affect you.

Basically my question is, Will this pose any problems during the medical?

I’m also aware that Raynaud's disease (which I don’t suffer from) can bar entry.

Any advice or answers would be great,
Cheers,

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Hi Mate,

Welcome to the site, unfortunately can't help with the question but someone should be able to give you a bit more help shortly.

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Have you been down to your AFCO? Also it miht be wort gong t a doctor to check if you still have it. Even if you do i heard somethig somewhere where you can try and get doctors to do you a "note" to get you in etc.

hobbsy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
One of my friends has this and he failed his medical. Depends how severe yours is i suppose, best bet is to ask AFCO or just get medicalled.

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi mate, i've got a copy of the Medical Guidlines sat in front of me. It does mention Raynaud's disease as making a candidate unsuitable for entry into the Services.

But, it also says "the list below is not exhaustive and is for general guidance only," and that "AFCO staff are not medically qualified and that the decision regarding medical suitability for enlistment is determined by selection medical staff."

I'm not sure what i would do mate........ How easy would it be to keep quiete about it all, and hope it doesn't get picked up on?! Or is it on your medical record? Can you try and get this overturned?! Try anything mate and good luck!

lewio

Reaction score
Cheers for the replys,

It's not actually on my medical record and the only person I've ever mentioned it to was my dad. It's never troubled me at all and easly hidden (not that theres been anything to hide for years now). I think ill just go with the flow and not mention it, im pretty sure ive just grown out of it.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Being totally pragmatic as Pendo has highlighted some of the downsides, if it's not on your med docs, what makes you so sure you have it?

I was terrible as a kid with the cold, however now I am older, the colder it gets the more I like it, although that is the benefit of being 6ft and 15 1/2 stone and having some kebab type insulation around my waste.

lewio

Reaction score
I just remember that 1 time when I was like 12 playing in the snow and the fingers on my right hand went completely white then back to normal after a minute or 2. All be it I was plying in the snow with no gloves for a good 2 hours, that still shouldn’t have happened should it? Prior to that my fingers where always felt the cold (not that it bothered me). I went home told my dad and that’s what we came up with (Raynauds).

Maybe I don’t have it and it was just some 'freak' thing

Just tried to force an attack by sticking both hands in the freezer on top of frozen veg for 5 mins while in my shorts and t-shirt (to make sure I was feeling the cold all over my body). When I took them out I just watched my hand return too normal within seconds.

If things go balls up and I do have it I could always knock out of training and try some experimental procedures to sort things :P read a few interesting medical papers on it.

To be honest it only ever gave symptoms that once unless you count cold fingers a lot which I’m sure everyone gets when there sitting in a cold room typing away :P

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to get it checked by the doc.

It sounds like it is minor and hasn't troubled you for years...Best possible scenario is that you go to the doctor and you don't have it. Worst scenario is you are diagnosed with the condition. = Career as a Royal Marine over before you even apply.

As you have never been diagnosed with it, i'd keep quiete at the medical, rather than making things difficult for yourself, and if you are later diagnosed with it in a cold place like Norway on excercise, then tough t*tties, but it means you are/were a Royal Marine and achieved your ambition...

But that's me, and i'm not sure that is the "responsible advice" reply:biggrin:.:dontaskme:

I bust my jaw and knocked 5 front teeth out a month or so ago. Got told today i have to wait 12 months from the date of my last bone operation (still waiting for it!) before i can apply argh!

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* how has no one said this yet? RAY's NADS! *text deleted* so sorry but i just had to say as soon as i saw the thread title!!!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Worst scenario is you are diagnosed with the condition. = Career as a Royal Marine over before you even apply.

Au contraire Blackadder.

The medical standards for entry have a degree of latitude with regard severity of some conditions, so the best bet is to get it checked. The standards for entry are set for the wellbeing of the individual & those that work & rely upon your being able to function in extreme climates.

The worst scenario is someone's life could, in extreme circumstances, be endangered so it's worth getting it checked.

Taggart91

Reaction score
When i was on my PRMC there was l a guy staying in my room whose cousin was in his Recruit Training and i think he had this.
The lad in my room was telling me how he had been in recruit training for about 2 years i think and that they were going to have to medically discharge his because it was getting worse.

So i think it depends how bad it is that stops you from applying or not.

Worth a shot tough eh :)