Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Reapplying after PMU for migraines

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Spartan3, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Spartan3

Spartan3 New Member

At the end of last year I was made PMU after the triage call due to a history of migraines. I am planning to reapply later this year when I will be two years free from any headaches or migraines, in line with the JSP950 criteria. I am throwing everything into preparing for the application process, so I want to be sure this won't cause any problems in future medicals.

In my GP medical records my mum had written that I had a "history of severe migraine-type headaches" around age 13. I recall having two or three severe headaches at that age. Since then I have only suffered from one migraine attack, aged 22, but it was extremely painful and lasted for 6 days. During that time I went to the GP, A&E, and a hospital for tests. I was also prescribed triptans.

Does the two year rule apply to any and all migraines/ headaches, or could the recurrence or severity lead to further issues?

Thanks for any guidance

2. Trooper149

Trooper149 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Can only offer words of encouragement: there are people on this forum who have had history of sciatica, back surgery and migraines, and they have had their PMUs appealled and/or have had a written letter from a GP, stating they are medically ready for RT.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Unless the pain was so intense that it required a trip to A&E (or whatever it's called this week) and further tests were required, then two years symptom & prescription-free is usually enough.

I got knocked-back for migraine myself and upon re-applying, the Doc just said that if it happened again whilst serving then I faced discharge. It didn't, I didn't.

4. Spartan3

Spartan3 New Member

Thanks @Trooper149, respect for those who have overcome medical delays

@Ninja_Stoker that's my concern, I have only had one migraine in the last 10 years but I did go to the hospital three times for it... Do you think that would be a bar to entry even with 2 years symptom and prescription free?