Recent rugby injury, will it stop me?

FG1

Reaction score
Hello, recently i have had a injury while playing rugby for my school and was wondering if anyone knows if it would keep me from joining. My injury was a small fracture in my right eye socket, and i had orbital reconstruction surgery recently, my only problem was I had double vision when I looked to the right but the surgery should correct that and otherwise my vision is 20/20. Also i wanted to know how long the waiting period is between applying and getting your medical just because I want to take my medical when my eye is in good form, cheers lads!

Chelonian

Reaction score
Hello, recently i have had a injury while playing rugby for my school...
Someone will hopefully answer your specific questions.
Be aware that your school should be insured. I'm not suggesting a claim, merely that you should be able to consider all options open to you regarding treatment of your injury.
Best of luck.

FG1

Reaction score
Someone will hopefully answer your specific questions.
Be aware that your school should be insured. I'm not suggesting a claim, merely that you should be able to consider all options open to you regarding treatment of your injury.
Best of luck.
Cheers, but I have already had an operation from the NHS and am on the mend

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Generally, as long as there are no plates that need removing and your vision is fully restored without limitation, as long as you're 12 months clear, you should be OK unless there are complications.

FG1

Reaction score
Generally, as long as there are no plates that need removing and your vision is fully restored without limitation, as long as you're 12 months clear, you should be OK unless there are complications.
Does this mean that I should delay signing up for 12 months?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Does this mean that I should delay signing up for 12 months?
I'd apply now, but be aware there could be a pause at the medical stage for a few months. It could be less than 12 months, depending on location & type of fracture, but it could be as much as 12 months.

If you apply now the recruit test is valid 3 years. Tell your AFCO about the fracture & they'll probably send you to medical after the test to determine the way ahead. Once you know for sure, you can get your phys up to scratch whilst you wait.

Kangarooj

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I had surgery back in April, and I applied in September and after a call from the AFCO he asked me some eligibility questions and surgery in the past 12 months was one of them, he said unfortunately I can't progress my application any further from there.
Fortunately though he was kind enough to let me just phone the AFCO back up again in mid-end march next year and we can just continue the application from there so I don't have to start ALL OVER again.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Yep, the advice to get as far as the medical was due to the fact the double vision could be an issue if it still occurs and it would be a bummer to wait a year only to get knocked back at the end of it. Managing expectations and all that.

Not all surgery or fractures are 12 months, incidentally. Off the top of my head, broken fingers and toes or even donating a kidney is only 6 months.