Recommended books of the Royal Marines history?

MountainChase

Reaction score
I had a look at Rover's list of all the books relating to the Royal Marines in the general forum. However, the books listed are strictly only title and author, I am not quite sure which are considered to be excellent and which are... so/so.

I have read John Parker's book; any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Woods115

Reaction score
I've read 3 more modern books on the RM and thought they were all boss! Going Commando by Mark Time being my favourite followed by Andy Grant's 'You'll Never Walk' as both of us being from Bootle it was hard not to buy his book, and 'Wearing the Green Beret' by Jake Olafsen which was really good too!

I know they're not really about RM History but not really seen them mentioned on here before but they deffo made a big impact on wanting to get my own green lid!

AngryArgie

Reaction score
“By Sea & Land” is a cracking one talks about the history of the Royal Marines and loads of major and minor battles, although I’m not sure if you can still get them, the version I have is from the late 80’s and was gifted to me

MountainChase

Reaction score
I've read 3 more modern books on the RM and thought they were all boss! Going Commando by Mark Time being my favourite followed by Andy Grant's 'You'll Never Walk' as both of us being from Bootle it was hard not to buy his book, and 'Wearing the Green Beret' by Jake Olafsen which was really good too!

I know they're not really about RM History but not really seen them mentioned on here before but they deffo made a big impact on wanting to get my own green lid!
Thanks! I reckon modern RM books are equally as great to read as the history itself. Will look out for the above

MountainChase

Reaction score
“By Sea & Land” is a cracking one talks about the history of the Royal Marines and loads of major and minor battles, although I’m not sure if you can still get them, the version I have is from the late 80’s and was gifted to me
I heard about that one too. *text deleted* try keep an eye out for it. I think I know where I can find one; might have to pay an arm and a leg for shipping costs but worth it. Thank you

Chelonian

Reaction score
@MountainChase As alluded to by @Caversham all the books in the list have merit otherwise they wouldn't be there.

But I'll express a personal opinion here. Where does one start when delving into a military history which formally begins in 1664? Arguably a good start is with Operation Frankton. The archetypical sneaky commando raid of the 1939-1945 war. It's all there: infiltration by submarine; defeating tidal and weather obstacles; achieving objective and then extraction by survivors across the Pyrenees. Just my opinion but it's as good a start as any. Maybe see where your reading interest takes you subsequently.

Rover

Royal Marines Commando. Crossed the Bar 13/04/2021
Reaction score
@MountainChase As alluded to by @Caversham all the books in the list have merit otherwise they wouldn't be there.

But I'll express a personal opinion here. Where does one start when delving into a military history which formally begins in 1664? Arguably a good start is with Operation Frankton. The archetypical sneaky commando raid of the 1939-1945 war. It's all there: infiltration by submarine; defeating tidal and weather obstacles; achieving objective and then extraction by survivors across the Pyrenees. Just my opinion but it's as good a start as any. Maybe see where your reading interest takes you subsequently.

Interesting to note that all members involved in Operation Frankton were none Commando trained Royal Marines.
Bill Sparks RMBDP..jpg
Bill Sparks RMBDP.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Interesting to note that all members involved in Operation Frankton were none Commando trained Royal Marines.

Yep, all blue beret Royal Marines. I'm no expert but the key word here is perhaps "trained". Paddy Ashdown suggested that the personnel of Op Frankton were classified as commandos to permit them the allowances and accommodation billets which were only available to commando trained ranks. The reasoning being that private house billets around Southsea better preserved the secrecy of the forthcoming operation than if the blokes lived in barracks. Now that is sneaky beaky.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Another example of arguably 'jobsworth' policies about accommodation and billeting even during wartime:

I think it was Bill Sparks who recollected that during training for Op Frankton the raiders were based for a short time at Britannia Royal Navy College, Dartmouth. The college had been evacuated of midshipmen because of the risk of bombing and consequently had plenty of available accommodation. Sparks looked forward to the relative luxury of occupying an Officer's cabin for a short spell but was peeved to discover that instead he and fellow Other Ranks were lodged instead within grotty huts in the college grounds!

Rover

Royal Marines Commando. Crossed the Bar 13/04/2021
Reaction score
Another example of arguably 'jobsworth' policies about accommodation and billeting even during wartime:

I think it was Bill Sparks who recollected that during training for Op Frankton the raiders were based for a short time at Britannia Royal Navy College, Dartmouth. The college had been evacuated of midshipmen because of the risk of bombing and consequently had plenty of available accommodation. Sparks looked forward to the relative luxury of occupying an Officer's cabin for a short spell but was peeved to discover that instead he and fellow Other Ranks were lodged instead within grotty huts in the college grounds!

Could have been worse........ a shell scrape by the River Dart springs to mind!-banghead-o_O
Just to get them acclimatised. :(

Chelonian

Reaction score
Could have been worse........ a shell scrape by the River Dart springs to mind!-banghead-

Makes sense. Down river between Totnes and Dittisham the shore side topography is remarkably similar to that of the River Gironde. I gently row the lower Dart chasing flounders on sunny winter days. So far I've resisted the temptation to burrow into the gloopy stuff and bank vegetation. :)