Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Recovering from ITBS

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by mufc122, Apr 7, 2019.

1. mufc122

mufc122 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Hi all, was wondering what method people found to be the most successful for ridding ITBS, I’ve been training for around 7 months now and feel ready, can pass all the gym tests apart from running, I’ve had to put off a PRMC as my knee keeps flaring up pretty much when I start getting good return times on the 3 miler I’ve been running 3 times a week howeve have changed that to only once a week doing a mile run and I plan to slowly increase mileage, I’ve been to see a private physio who recommended I did strengthening exercises such as squats, leg raises, resistance band walks etc I’ve done these for about 3 months 4 times a day however it still seems to keep returning, I’m finding it really frustrating as it’s the only part of the training I can’t seem to get over, I’ve also changed shoes about 3 times and had my gait looked at as I tend to pronate slightly when running, any advice or stories of how people got over it is massively appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Its a hideous injury but unfortunately it isnt a quick fix mine lasted 7 months and on occasion when I run alone I will feel it sometimes. However I never do when tabbing. Not sure why. But my physio said exactly what yours said. May have take out running for something else

• Like Like x 1
  3. mufc122

mufc122 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Yeah It only seems to flare up doing high mileage runs rather than sprints, did it flare up for you at all while you were in training, if so how did you manage it? Cheers

4. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

I was lucky in training it never flared up. Not for 10 miler or even 20 miler.Maybe it was the better preperation and stretching and we did plenty of strength and conditioning before any further distance phys.

It sometimes comes up when I do my own phys but rarely in work. No idea why

• Like Like x 1
  5. physiomum

physiomum Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Try deep squats (good technique ) with a resistance band round knees keeping knees rolled out x 20 (3x a day) and side stepping in a squat position to the right and to the left 10 steps x 4 (3 x a day) with resistance bands round ankles in a really good squat position ie bum right back chest upright very important to predominately recruit your glutes. Speak from years of experience as an ITB fellow sufferer and MSK physio of 30 years. Be prepared for the DOMS though and good luck

• Like Like x 3
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  6. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Some fantastic advice from serious professionals here!!

7. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I had itbs, it was a complete nightmare at the time but with a few small tweaks it has gone away.
    I think it is important that what works for someone may not work for you so don't feel disheartened if the strengthening exercises or foam rolling aren't working, they didn't for me either to be honest although lots of people really swear by them. The two things that personally helped me were,

- increasing hip mobility using a foam roller. I think this helped because if you don't have adequate hip internal rotation your knee is rotated outwards every time your foot hits the ground, which causes itb pain

- It sounds strange but what I found most helpful was walking in front of the mirror to see if there were any asymmetries with my walking/running. I found I was bringing my left arm right across my body which was rotating my body and causing my right leg to swivel outwards on the ground. Just fixing the arm swing made the pain go away after 27 months of it!

It may be worth trying those two things out but again because itbs seems to be cause by an individual's biomechanics although they helped me they may not work for someone else

Best of luck with your recovery mate, it's so frustrating this issue but the good thing with itb is you can still keep running with the problem to maintain fitness, as unlike tendonitis or a muscle strain medical research has shown the itb may hurt but there is no permanent damage being caused by the pain, apparently the stinging is caused by nerve filled fatty tissue being compressed by the it band, so there no permanent damage. Apparently it isn't possible to damage the it band because it is so strong!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  8. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Sorry for the rambly nature of my post, I am certainly not an expert and the other advice on this thread is better but as someone who had this issue for ages I just wanted to give my thoughts.

One of the things I did find was that although it works for some people the foam roller did not work for me, apparently the it band is so strong that using a foam roller won't change it or reform it in any way
    I think trying lots of different approaches like you are is a good idea because what may work for someone may not work for someone else,
    Best of luck with getting it sorted

• Like Like x 1
  9. mufc122

mufc122 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Thanks for all the advice & replies everyone found this info mega helpful

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1