Recovery Supplements

Yossarian

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I know it's been done to death in previous threads, but I'm only looking for a quickfire answer - any suggestions of what supplements you guys use for recovery?

I'm not worried about size/protein or anything like that, just planning to up my training next week in prep for RT and I'm curious in regards to cod liver oil, BCAA and all of that sort of stuff, and what might help.

Eyebrows

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I think Iskiate is pretty good. Not sure whether it's in my head but it makes me feel good.

Also I use Nature's Kiss recovery rub I think this stuff is pretty good (Obviously you don't eat this haha, it just helps you with aching muscles and it may) aid recovery.

I've been meaning to give moustache man's green drink a go too (funky music not included).

Just some ideas for some alternatives to the traditional protein shake etc.

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
* Cod liver oil is a must.

* Whey protein in the morning and post-workout - pretty standard and does the job.

* Casein (milk protein) before bed - good to slowly feed your muscles with protein overnight to enhance recovery.

* BCAAs before and after training - just received my order, but well documented to significantly reduced DOMS.

* A good vitamin supplement e.x. Alpha Men from myprotein.com

* I also have Glucosamine HCL & Chondroitin - not as extreme as it sounds, it serves as joint care - oiling up the joints and aiding in cartilage repair.

Edit : Any supplements should be used in conjunction with a good, healthy diet rich in nutrients and all the other goodness one needs. As is self-evident, they supplement.

Yossarian

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
* Cod liver oil is a must.

* Whey protein in the morning and post-workout - pretty standard and does the job.

* Casein (milk protein) before bed - good to slowly feed your muscles with protein overnight to enhance recovery.

* BCAAs before and after training - just received my order, but well documented to significantly reduced DOMS.

* A good vitamin supplement e.x. Alpha Men from myprotein.com

* I also have Glucosamine HCL & Chondroitin - not as extreme as it sounds, it serves as joint care - oiling up the joints and aiding in cartilage repair.
Thanks Vtom, exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Regarding the above, how much and often do you take of each supplement? I'm aware it's all pretty much available from myprotein.

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Vtom, exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Regarding the above, how much and often do you take of each supplement? I'm aware it's all pretty much available from myprotein.
Most of it you take as recommended on the site.

However, instead of 4 x vitamin tablets, I take 2. I have a good diet and no need to go overboard.

Fish oil, look at 1000-1500mg per day.

The proteins are generally one large scoop - 25-30g per usage.

I throw some Organic Spirulina Powder into my breakfast shake - an algae, extrememly nutirious and a powerful antioxidant.

S

stokey_14

Vito, do you feel the Alpha men helps? I?ve never used a multi-vit, always try to get vits via veg and as above occasionally play around with individual vitamins and minerals.

It all stems from having read some stuff on them that states they where heath negative or at best health neutral and very often over dosed and using poor versions of the vit/minerals (I notice the Magnesium is oxide which is only something like 6% bio-available compared to the much higher Bio-available forms, citrate and sulphate)

Other than that I agree there is good backing behind all of what you mention.

Stokey

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Vito, do you feel the Alpha men helps? I?ve never used a multi-vit, always try to get vits via veg and as above occasionally play around with individual vitamins and minerals.

It all stems from having read some stuff on them that states they where heath negative or at best health neutral and very often over dosed and using poor versions of the vit/minerals (I notice the Magnesium is oxide which is only something like 6% bio-available compared to the much higher Bio-available forms, citrate and sulphate)

Other than that I agree there is good backing behind all of what you mention.

Stokey
It is a good question, one which I cannot really answer.

As I obviously take a few things, it's very difficult to attribute positive/negative/neutral outcomes to one supplement. Even before I became uber strict on my diet etc, I ate healthily.

I should probably stop taking them and see if it makes any difference.. I would perhaps lean towards saying it wouldn't.. but I have a tub of them! Maybe I'll try coming off shortly and see if there's any difference.

Yossarian

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. Just registered myself on to myprotein so time for me to go shopping!

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. Just registered myself on to myprotein so time for me to go shopping!
Use the following referral code for 10% your first order :

MP198139

S

stokey_14

It is a good question, one which I cannot really answer.

As I obviously take a few things, it's very difficult to attribute positive/negative/neutral outcomes to one supplement. Even before I became uber strict on my diet etc, I ate healthily.

I should probably stop taking them and see if it makes any difference.. I would perhaps lean towards saying it wouldn't.. but I have a tub of them! Maybe I'll try coming off shortly and see if there's any difference.

If your eating enough fruit and veg the smart money would be on it not making any difference? or least ways that is what I would guess.

Either way they wont kill you but if you drop them and there is no change it could save you a few quid.

I certainly reckon if everyone who popped a multi-vit switched it for a different blended fruit and veg smoothie each day they?d be a lot better off. More bio-available nutrients, fibre, fluids, anti-oxidants etc

I even sneak good fats in they way of seeds (pumpkin, sun flower, flax etc) into mine.

Stokey

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
If your eating enough fruit and veg the smart money would be on it not making any difference? or least ways that is what I would guess.

Either way they wont kill you but if you drop them and there is no change it could save you a few quid.

I certainly reckon if everyone who popped a multi-vit switched it for a different blended fruit and veg smoothie each day they?d be a lot better off. More bio-available nutrients, fibre, fluids, anti-oxidants etc

I even sneak good fats in they way of seeds (pumpkin, sun flower, flax etc) into mine.

Stokey
Yeah, I probably won't get anymore when the tub is finished.

Indeed I put flaxseeds into my morning shakes and always have a tub of mixed seeds at home to add to various things.

I also have Superfood XS from MP, which has plenty of goodness in it (yes yes, I went a bit mad on MP)

S

stokey_14

Super food a greens product? I?ve herd lots of good things about them nice little addition to shakes if you don?t fancy putting real greens into your protein haha

Stokey

S

stokey_14

Looks like a solid supp. Only thing I?ve read that is a slight negative on greens supps like that one is they lose some of there nutrition in comparison to fresh (sure you guessed that already)

As far as I can see

Fresh fruit and veg> super market pre-packed stuff> greens supps > Mutli vit/ stand alone vits

to counter my own argument, it would also be very hard to get all of what you listed daily, it?s a catch 22 and in all honesty I doubt you?ll see a huge difference either way? so long as it?s coming from somewhere I guess to cover our backs it?s wise to use more than one form.

There?s been a ton of good research with regards to vitamin D3 recently for energy, immune function and other stuff. I personally think it?s a good idea to supplement with it if you don?t get enough sun light daily and/or in the winter. Vitamin D is something a lot of people are deficient in. There is even study?s that suggest the occasional sun bed in winter would be a healthy move? though I can?t quite bring my self to do that, I?d soon be on to veeting my body hair or wearing ridiculously love cut hyper metro T-shirts on the town.

Stokey