Recruit injury pay?

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Ginglm, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Ginglm

Ginglm New Member

I was watching Royal Marines commando school the other night and ended up watching the one where they're all doing their commando tests, one lad breaks his leg on his second attempt at the 9 mile speed march and is sent home for a few months to recover before coming back to complete all four commando tests again. It got me thinking, would he receive any kind of financial support or pay from the marines while he recovered ? Can anyone cast light on this please?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Yes. You get paid a full wage whilst sat on your bum recovering. All medical treatment and rehabilitation is free. All necessary uk rail travel is paid by the service when on sick leave.

For those discharged due to a service attributed injury, losing their job because of it, there is an armed forces compensation scheme (AFCS) which, depending on the long term effects, can include a lump sum and a disability pension.

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  3. Ginglm

Ginglm New Member

Thanks ninja!

4. smackabear

smackabear Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Suppose the example of a broken leg, id imagine a year wait untill put into another troop, however how long would you spend at home? Maybe untill the cast comes off?

5. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

My lad fractured his foot whilst in RT at week 23. He spent 5 months In Hunter before he was loaded into another troop. 4-5 months for normal fractures is the norm I'm lead to believe. Such is the quality and delivery in Hunter it gets lads back into training very very efficiently. The facilities and rehabilitation services in Hunter were compared to that of a premiership football clubs.

• Like Like x 3