Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Recruit Orientation Phase

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Joeysquinson, May 18, 2020.

1. Joeysquinson

Joeysquinson New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/covid19

The Royal Marines has temporarily adapted its fitness testing requirements by conducting a strength assessment conducted over Zoom. Your careers adviser will be in touch with the details of how to prepare for the assessment and what the now virtual assessment (vPJFT+) entails. With regards to the PRMC, under COVID-19, it would be irresponsible to conduct the course due to social distancing protocols. To that end, RM Recruit Training has been adapted to allow for a graduated conditioning phase lasting 4 weeks on entry to CTCRM – the Recruit Orientation Phase (ROP) – which will culminate in the Commando Aptitude Assessment (CAA). Recruits successfully passing the CAA will progress to RM Recruit Training. The Royal Marines Careers area of the Royal Navy website will be amended to reflect any permanent changes in due course.

2. Advocado

Advocado Royal Marines Commando

Keep up mate, that's old news now! ;)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  3. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    First intake to that is today.

4. Advocado

The troop starting today consists of all PRMC passes, therefore they are conducting the 32 weeks training as usual, with no ROP.

• Seen Seen x 1
  5. Joeysquinson

Joeysquinson New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    So you're telling me that you now get a 4 week fitness build up program to get you over the line before you commence the Recruit Course?

6. Advocado

No it shouldn't be viewed as that, you should arrive at the ROP at the same fitness standard you would if you were starting RT and you had completed a PRMC. Don't use a ROP as a programme to get you over the line use it to build on your already high standard of fitness.

The Recruit Orientation Phase is designed to smooth over the transition from civilian to military life.

Foundation as it has always been is a brutal, hard and fast awakening to military life. The ROP is designed to be a gradual build up, to avoid the 'shock of capture' and ultimately produce recruits that are more prepared for the rigours of training.

The way COVID plays into it, is that the ROP achieves the gradual build up, an isolation period prior to actually starting training, and a mini PRMC (The CAA). So essentially it is all conducted safely avoiding any spread of COVID and recruits are in a good place when they start the 32 weeks training. Recruits that fall short of the mark can re-attempt the ROP or transfer to the Navy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  7. Powder Monkey

App Stage:
    Parent
    He's definitely doing ROP according to what his CA has told him. Some of the group are v-pjft and some were on the final prmc.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I've edited the thread title so that nobody is misled into thinking that PRMC has been abandoned. VPJFT and ROP are only being trialled.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TigerShark7

TigerShark7 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    This is all quite confusing.. I am due to start my recruit training in June. I have previously passed my prmc in febuary but have recieved Information that I will be starting the ROP.
    To my understanding the ROP is the replacement for the prmc?

10. Advocado

Its not a replacement for PRMC. The vPJFT followed by the ROP is a temporary procedure put in place as a result of covid.

All troops from 299 onwards will conduct a ROP regardless if lads have completed a vPJFT or a PRMC.

• Like Like x 1
  11. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

Timelines of troops actions are:

Those that entered on 4 May are the testers for the ROP and will complete 36 weeks training.

18 May – Normal 32-week course - all should have passed PRMC

1 Jun – mix of passed PRMC and Passed VPJFT+ All will take Commando Assessment at the end of 4 weeks and if successful continue in normal 32 week course (total of 36 weeks training).

This is the official line.!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Every day is a school day for me. I misinformed you @Powder Monkey

• Like Like x 1
  13. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

To be fair I think until very recently this was, shall we say fluid.!!-banghead-

• Like Like x 3
  14. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Me as well! I believed that 4th May was 32 weeks and the 18th was 36 weeks. Apologies to all who I have misinformed!

Alan

15. Powder Monkey

App Stage:
    Parent
    @Chelonian and @Caversham I think we're all a bit confused about this. Understandable at the moment and at least the corps are doing something to continue recruiting. It was only yesterday I spoke to one of his CAs who said he was on ROP. At the end of the day, they're all starting in some way shape or form and that's the main thing.

• Like Like x 3