Recruit Test 31st

The Creature of the Night

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all.
As the title suggests, got my recruit test on the 31st (Tuesday).

For revision (on maths and mechanical comprehension) I've used the BBC's bitesize for fractions (with arithmetic), decimal points and standard form. There are also ace tips there with regard to multiplication and long-division. The most challenging aspect was the standard form component and it is just a bit confusing. In regard to long multiplication? I would always use the grid method. It is straight to the point and does the trick of any large multiplication number. In regard to converting fractions etc? It really is not too bad. You just have to read and read and practise (e.g., have a pen and paper in front of you, and literally make up numbers to practise). One trick with multiplying decimals, if the R.T test includes that; simply treat it as a whole number (e.g., remove the decimal points from the sums) use the grid method, and put the decimal back to where it was once you've computed it. (e.g., 4.4 x 2.7. Remove decimals so it becomes 44x 27 = 1188 then simply add the decimal point back in to give = 11.88)

(side note: with English/reasoning, the link below can be used to revise for all aspects of the Recruit Test)

From what I gather; it is principles only with the mathematics section that I require, as opposed to complex formulae etc?

With the mechanical comprehension revision (which I will admit, I know nothing of!)? I have used this site (https://www.jobtestprep.co.uk/free-aptitude-test) -- you can register for a half-hour free version trial and it has all the revision material you need there (for everything, I hasten to add). It would be unethical for me to say to use @example email addresses numerous times if one requires more time.......

So I think, some pointers I can give re: revision of the R.T. is to revise the maths and mechanical comprehension for around an hour a night (I had three weeks to prepare for my R.T); so basically put in 21 hours' worth of studying and to literally practise them.

If you're short of time (say by a week) again, just study what you can and practise.

Create your own sums, and time yourself to complete them. It honestly works, lads. And the best example of the R.T is going to be obviously the book the Royal Navy sent you. And as opposed to using websites (which will fleece you for cash); I would honestly use the examples in the Naval book (for maths only) and create your own. Then? Time yourself.

So now? I am going to revise now for 2 more days and hopefully, pass the R.T (fingers crossed, lads! I am not underestimating this test by any means! I am treating it as what it is: a serious test of aptitude for entrance into the Naval service) also? I would wear a collar and tie going there (I always do wear one, daily, in anycase!) to show commitment and respect for your potential future employer etc. Then? I am hoping I can arrange the interview/medical fairly quickly. Fortunately? I have not been to the doctor for around 23 years or so, so I am anticipating that the medical should be done fairly quickly. I am also hoping the interview can be arranged quite quickly after the R.T.

A final point regarding the R.T? Do not be afraid of it. All the resources are available for it for absolutely nothing. You can buy books etc. but, at the end of the day? You're lining someone's pockets for something that they, themselves have probably taken off the internet! Preparedness is everything!

Remember what Benjamin Franklin said?:
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"

Hopefully, next time I'll be replying to this post, I'll be saying I've past the R.T but, for now? I am simply living by the premise of: "we must wait and see, my dear boy"

Best wishes:
The Creature of the Night.

Dvv63

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all.
As the title suggests, got my recruit test on the 31st (Tuesday).

For revision (on maths and mechanical comprehension) I've used the BBC's bitesize for fractions (with arithmetic), decimal points and standard form. There are also ace tips there with regard to multiplication and long-division. The most challenging aspect was the standard form component and it is just a bit confusing. In regard to long multiplication? I would always use the grid method. It is straight to the point and does the trick of any large multiplication number. In regard to converting fractions etc? It really is not too bad. You just have to read and read and practise (e.g., have a pen and paper in front of you, and literally make up numbers to practise). One trick with multiplying decimals, if the R.T test includes that; simply treat it as a whole number (e.g., remove the decimal points from the sums) use the grid method, and put the decimal back to where it was once you've computed it. (e.g., 4.4 x 2.7. Remove decimals so it becomes 44x 27 = 1188 then simply add the decimal point back in to give = 11.88)

(side note: with English/reasoning, the link below can be used to revise for all aspects of the Recruit Test)

From what I gather; it is principles only with the mathematics section that I require, as opposed to complex formulae etc?

With the mechanical comprehension revision (which I will admit, I know nothing of!)? I have used this site (https://www.jobtestprep.co.uk/free-aptitude-test) -- you can register for a half-hour free version trial and it has all the revision material you need there (for everything, I hasten to add). It would be unethical for me to say to use @example email addresses numerous times if one requires more time.......

So I think, some pointers I can give re: revision of the R.T. is to revise the maths and mechanical comprehension for around an hour a night (I had three weeks to prepare for my R.T); so basically put in 21 hours' worth of studying and to literally practise them.

If you're short of time (say by a week) again, just study what you can and practise.

Create your own sums, and time yourself to complete them. It honestly works, lads. And the best example of the R.T is going to be obviously the book the Royal Navy sent you. And as opposed to using websites (which will fleece you for cash); I would honestly use the examples in the Naval book (for maths only) and create your own. Then? Time yourself.

So now? I am going to revise now for 2 more days and hopefully, pass the R.T (fingers crossed, lads! I am not underestimating this test by any means! I am treating it as what it is: a serious test of aptitude for entrance into the Naval service) also? I would wear a collar and tie going there (I always do wear one, daily, in anycase!) to show commitment and respect for your potential future employer etc. Then? I am hoping I can arrange the interview/medical fairly quickly. Fortunately? I have not been to the doctor for around 23 years or so, so I am anticipating that the medical should be done fairly quickly. I am also hoping the interview can be arranged quite quickly after the R.T.

A final point regarding the R.T? Do not be afraid of it. All the resources are available for it for absolutely nothing. You can buy books etc. but, at the end of the day? You're lining someone's pockets for something that they, themselves have probably taken off the internet! Preparedness is everything!

Remember what Benjamin Franklin said?:
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"

Hopefully, next time I'll be replying to this post, I'll be saying I've past the R.T but, for now? I am simply living by the premise of: "we must wait and see, my dear boy"

Best wishes:
The Creature of the Night.
@SarriesFan I just saw this, maybe will give you some answers :)

Eafy

Reaction score
As above, solid advice, but honestly - the main thing is not to get yourself too worked up about it. Just don't panic and you will be fine.

New Threads