Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Recruit test.

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by BrigRat, Aug 15, 2013.

1. BrigRat

BrigRat Well-Known Member

I found the first three sections pretty easy to be honest - although I was surprised at the vocabulary used in the literacy section, some 'big words' thrown in, that, to be honest, I didn't know the meaning of! The mech comprehension section had some shockers in it to be fair! No, everyone does the same test, in the same room, but I believe RM Officers need 75 percent in each section (not sure if the scores are different for some RN trades). Thanks, I will do and good luck on your own application mate.

Yeah Lewis, although the mech comprehension did still make the brain work. Bottom line is, if I hadn't revised I'd probably have failed miserably, and this feedback would be teeming with not very nice language haha! Thanks mate.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Active Member

Could you possibly give some examples in the mech section? Its my weakest aspect.

3. OSTV

OSTV Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Well done, crack on.

Rhys

4. BrigRat

Of course. There was a question on gears - the question only asked whether a gear at the end of a sequence of gears would turn clockwise or anti-clockwise, but I'd still say practice gears questions. There was also a question on seesaws, which was also a straightforward question. I remember two questions with a circle diagram asking which position a plane would be in after circling x amount of degrees, so as long as you know 360 degrees are in a circle that was two easy marks. There was also questions on tools, and which tools are useful for which task. Study things like technical studies to understand tools and their functions. The rest is a bit blurry as I was rushing on.
    Really, I'd just recommend studying physics and google 'psychometric test gears/pulleys/seesaws'', as well as be aware of the time. One guy said to me he answered about 10 mech comprehension questions, so timekeeping is essential in the mech comprehension section. Another guy asked me before we started the test, what the test actually involved. Lastly, don't stress terribly it was my weakest section also, and everyone else who I talked to felt the same. Best of luck.

Cheers Rhys, will do.

5. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Active Member

Thanks man. And if I can bug you for one last thing, how was the maths/numeracy section..?

6. grouse

grouse New Member

Hello, just to clarify do potential RM officers need 75% in each section of RT? Also any suggestions how to get my scores this high?
    Thanks

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

8. BrigRat

Sorry, that's me just back on!

Pretty basic, mostly long multiplication/division, sometimes in the form of problem solving questions e.g 'if a ceiling is 5 metres long by 4 metres wide, and each tile is 0.5m by 0.5m how many tiles would fill the ceilings area?' Things like that.

Some multiplication with fractions, didn't get any fraction adding/subtracting in my test but worth revising obviously. Multiplication of decimal numbers came up, as well as addition of them.

i found this by far the easiest section, as you have 16 minutes to complete it (which is a luxury compared to the other sections)! If you struggle at all or would just like to brush up on maths I recommend Bitesize, just click either Intermediate 2, Standard Grade or GCSE level.

9. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Active Member

Thanks for the reply.

10. grouse

grouse New Member

Thanks for that gents.

11. Kieran Munt

Kieran Munt New Member

Top job on passing mate,

Does anybody know how long the RT is valid for? I passed a couple of years back and was deemed TMU as I was underweight and was wondering whether I' be able to now just book another medical or if I'd have to start from scratch?

Cheers fellas.

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The Recruiting Test is valid 3 years.

13. What a Banana!

What a Banana! Well-Known Member

Congrats bud.

14. BrigRat

Medical tomorrow lads!

Wish me luck ;)

15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Howd'it go?

16. BrigRat

Passed, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  17. MikeD247

MikeD247 Member

Were there many questions with electrical circuits and multiplying volts, watts etc in the mech section? I have my test on Thursday and have been using the jobtestprep website some questions seem easy including electrical circuits etc but some of the questions seem alien! Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  18. Batman

Batman Royal Marines Commando

I remember there being some questions about simple circuit diagrams. You can revise them on BBC Bitesize if you need to.

19. Bulwark

Bulwark Member

Yeh it's fairly basic understanding of a circuit and what component is what part of the circuit diagram.. So the battery for example which was what was used in mine.

20. Kieran Munt

Kieran Munt New Member

Thanks Andy.