Recruit to Officer

Spud

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone give me an honest opinion on whether or not it is a good idea to join a as Regular Marine, then go on to try for Officer Selection when I have a degree? I meet the academic standards and (Hopefully) the fitness levels for POC, but I reckon serving as a Marine for a couple of years might make me a better Officer in the long run. Is this a reasonable idea or am I just being a complete muppet?

maophia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It is possible but very very very difficult the last I heard anyway. But im sure the ninja will say the best way get to be officer is to start out as one.

Garethr123

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I was reading up on this last night on here and there are a few threads.

It is possible once passed out to go through commissioning via recommendation which are few and far between,however as stated by ninja once you start the officer training you must pass in order to be sure of your position. What I mean is if you fail there is no guarantee that you'll slip back into your unit.

It was advised that you should join at the highest possible level from the outset if your qualifications allow that. Never the less yes it's completely viable to do it other ways.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Firstly you only need 5 GCSE's (including maths & English) for a Corps Commission, A Levels & Degrees not required, nor do they strengthen the prospects of selection.

Obviously it is possible to join & later apply for a Corps Commission but it is a numbers game & by no means certain.

As correctly stated the only way to ensure you become an Officer is by joining as one, but many who are academically qualified recognise they may have little leadership & management experience, which it's appreciated is difficult to acquire at age 21, let alone age 18.

For those who need to develop their leadership skills, joining as an Other Rank is a viable option, the obvious advantages of experience within the Corps & advancement to Corporal will certainly pay dividends in relation to a similarly aged civilian. However, the number-crunching odds limit the number required - only 10% of RM Officers are Corps Commission & the recruiting pool from within the ranks is very deep as you are competing against fellow trained ranks, who are already "rather good".