Recruit Training... harder *on you* than PRMC?

Ninja-to

Reaction score
I know that of course, the real Recruit Training is harder in terms of longer distances, tougher time limits etc. My question is though, once you're in, do you feel like you're doing another PRMC everday (or every other day) or does the training start *lower* in intensity than the actual PRMC, then build you up over time?

For example, are you burned out 3 times a week, feeling like you just did the PRMC 3 times, or do they take a step back and increase the training gradually? Or is it a step forward and then you get the crap kicked out of you consistently for 7 months? Is there anyone on these boards that has done RT and can compare it to the PRMC?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
There will hopefully be a few guys on leave from Lympstone currently in training, who will be able to advise their opinion with regard training.

Assuming you've studied the text & watched the videos on the official RM website in the Commando Training course content section, you should have a good grasp of what is involved & the frequency/intensity of the physical aspects of training. You won't be doing much walking, that's for sure.

Most candidates come away from PRMC left in no uncertain knowledge of which areas they need to further develop before starting Recruit Training. PRMC is viewed from AFCO's as the minimum base level of fitness required to start training from, you will be hugely fitter by the end of Recruit Training.

In short the standard of fitness increases over 32 weeks, but you must expect the threshold of training to start at a similar level to that required at PRMC. Anyone that lets their fitness preparations slip after PRMC will make life uneccessarily uncomfortable.

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The PTIs will tell you that there are two speeds in the gym, stood perfectly still or moving at 100mph.

In the first week of training there is a PT session which is similar to Gym Test One (pressups, situps and bleep test) as well a three mile run along the PRMC route. They use this to assess your current fitness levels against your performance on the PRMC. From then on the training is progressive, firstly aimed at getting the troop fit enough to pass gym pass out at week nine, then bottom field pass out and finally the commando tests.

Whether it is on a PRMC or during training you will always be expected to give 100% so it should constantly be difficult, however you will quickly become used to working at these levels and your fitness will go through the roof.

In my opinion it is the mental side of things that is much harder during training than on the PRMC. When you are doing a PRMC you know exactly what you need to do and you know it will only last a few days so it is easy to push through. However, during training it is much harder to see the end goal and it makes it difficult to give 100% at all times especially during the first few weeks.

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
All im going to say is they dont call its longest and hardest (bit like my penis) for nothing.

Prmc can sometimes seem like a warm up and that is the honest truth, it all depends on you stage of training.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
My mate who is back said his body just feels like it is constantly *text deleted**text deleted*ed. But you get used to it.

Ninja-to

Reaction score
Thanks for the insights guys. Focusing on PRMC at the moment, will keep all this in mind.