Recruit Training - Weekends Off?

Ninja-to

Reaction score
I read on the royal navy site a post by the girlfriend of a recruit in training saying her boyfriend had 'most weekends off' and so they were able to meet most weekends. Can anyone confirm this? Is it true recruits get most weekends off? I'm assuming 'off' means you're free to go home and off base?

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
There's two types of leave 'Local Leave' and 'Home Leave' during local leave you can basically bugger off within the given range of what the RM call 'local' and home leave meaning you can go anywhere in the world you like.

During RT I very much doubt you'll get many weekends off at all, there's family day which I belive is the start of a long weekend leave and another leave typically around 7 months into training? Not sure of the leave you get inbetween but I shouldn't imagine there's many weekends and it'd be useless unless your family lived very close anyway. Why would you want to see your girlfriend anyway?

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I think you get 5 long weekend leaves during training (according to the syllabus my AFCO gave me) week 3, week 10, week 15, and not sure of the other two. I think these are the type where you get to go home. You also get your "runs ashore" on some weekends but I imagine (I havent experienced it yet, just what i've read) these might only be saturday afternoons etc. I'm living with my girlfriend at the minute so these are essential!

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
There are three 'levels' of leave pass that you will receive during training and how long you can go ashore depends on your stage of training.

I think the first leave pass lets you go ashore on Saturdays and Sundays but you have to be back each night at 20:00.

It is the third leave pass that lets you go home at the weekends however I can't remember the exact details. I still have my old leave pass at home so I will check it when I get home if no one else has been able to provide an answer.

mattina

Reaction score
yea you do get most weekends off, if not all weekends.
At the end of week 3 you have families day followed by a long weekend(you can go home). But every normal weekend you can go into exeter and chill a bit. from week 1-3 you get leave from 14.00 to 20.00(you normally work in the mornings)
from weeks 3-15 you get leave from whenever you finish work(if you have it) to 22.00
from week 15 I THINK depending on the training team you get the whole weekend off but you cant go home, I THINK. And then you obviously get the assigned holiday leave.
All of these depend on your training team so dont be surprised if it isnt as above when your there.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
All of these depend on your training team so dont be surprised if it isnt as above when your there.
Good advice.

Leave is dependent on how your troop are performing. The better you perform as a team, the more leave you earn and vice-versa. If remedial training is required, it is more likely to occur over a weekend.

I've actually heard of someone submitting their notice because they "got fed-up taking the blame for other peoples' mistakes." The fact is that if someone is making mistakes, then it's everyone's job to help them succeed for the benefit of all. The fault is as much with everyone if you aren't collectively achieving.

Ninja-to

Reaction score
The main reason I was asking is that my girlfriend is waiting to come over here from Japan. I was hoping I'd get at least a little time each week during training to go 'home' if we could rent an apartment or something near the base.

It looks like that might be possible, although I realize there wouldn't be much time it's better than nothing at all.

Thanks for the info guys.

jimbob4004

Reaction score
im an ex nod (week 20) rejoining in april. at weekends *text deleted* generally aloud to get of camp at lunch time on a sat and have to be bk on camp by midnight. after week 15 unless u have wk sunday (mega rare) you can *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted* of sat and not return til the sunday at 8. if *text deleted* lucky enough to get sat and sun off its practically a long weekend and u can leave friday night and not come bk til the sunday night. weekends are generally seen as *text deleted* time to recope ready for the hard weeks training. its not like prison u still have quite alot of freedom.

any1 joining april 19th