Recruit Training

Morley

Reaction score
Alrite fellas just a few questions about RT. I've soon got Prmc coming up but i want to know if i'm aloud to bring any personal stuff. Basically very important things like my passport and some money i was hoping there would be somewhere for me to keep them. Also i don't have a bank account at the moment and obviously i would like to put the bit of money i have and the money i earn in RT into an account so will i get some help in this. Bearing in mind i pass PRMC first like *text deleted* but i'm confident. Also if you're wondering why i don't just leave my stuff at home it's because i'm living at a friend's house currently and don't fancy leaving everything just sitting there in case it gets lost.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the site, hope you find it useful.

You should not initially take any more personal belongings than will fit into a haversack or suitcase. You will be in uniform and won't need much by way of civilian clothes anyway. You cannot take a car, TV, stereo, or motorbike initially either. Your uniform items will take up most of your locker space, so if you have much gear you need to find a friendly relative to store your clobber in the loft.

You need to open a bank account ideally before you join as your money is paid by bank transfer, not as cash or cheque. Barclays Bank will very kindly offer to open an account for you whilst you are on PRMC. You do not have to join them as they are no better or worse than any other bank frankly, but it's your choice. There are free cashpoint facilities on the base for whichever bank you opt for.

mugen_power

Reaction score
Hey Ninja, you say "You cannot take a car, TV, stereo, or motorbike initially either" is there at any point during recruit training you can take your car?

This is what worries me most as I've spent a hell of alot of money on it and abit concerned about just leaving it sitting there for 9 months?

What about when you pass out and get sent to one of the Commando bases?

I only live about 20 mins from Lympstone so would be alot easier for me to drive home when aloud too.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The training team will advise you at what point vehicles are permitted, if indeed they are allowed at all in Recruit Training. I'd be very surprised if they were allowed during phase one training (first 15 weeks up to Exercise Baptist's Run).

When you join your Commando Unit you can usually take your vehicle with you. You have to consider where you're going to be based & whether it's worth taking it. If for example you join one of the ship based assault squadrons, you could be deployed for 6 months whilst your car sits on a jetty.

sooty795

Reaction score
hi guys

when i was at lympstone you couldn`t take a car as theres no where to park it, once you pass out and get to your unit thats a different story. some of the lads got friendly with the local ladies and parked cars at there houses for the week and used them at a weekend, but do so at your own risk as some of the locals can be a bit funny about RM.

re bank account, the barclays bank bird at lympstone was fit as when i was there!