Recruiters Banned from Schools

Zefan

Reaction score
I can understand that youngsters are mislead easily, however on the occasions I've spoken to careers officers they have ensured that I am 100% aware what I am getting myself in to and that I know I will deploy on active operations - putting my life at risk.

The ban may even cause the prospect of joining the military to become forbidden fruit, effectively completely reversing the effect that the ban is trying to cause.

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately I cannot watch the video at work but I was just reading the text version (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/7311917.stm).
Paul McGarr, a teacher from east London, said only when recruiting materials gave a true picture of war would he welcome them into his school. These would have to say: "Join the Army and we will send you to carry out the imperialist occupation of other people's countries," he said.
Surely this is just as bad as promoting the armed forces in only a positive light.

Shouldn't teachers be educating their pupils, not forcing their biased (be they right or wrong) opinions on them.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
You join the ARMED Forces with intentions, you don't join the ARMED Forces for an easy life nor do you join the ARMED Forces with the intention of never going to war. Anyone who thinks otherwise will be corrected by their ARMED Forces Careers Office (AFCO).

All this boils down to is religion! I don't care what anyone else says this is an excuse by the government because we have so many races in school, if we're fighting against a country of their religion they're going to say it's offensive.

The UK governments needs to get a grip, we're the sloppiest and by far the *text deleted**text deleted*test in the world. If this was Russia, you'd dissapear without a trace one night. If the was Australia you'd be told to shut up and get on with it. If it's the UK, they change their law, their rules, their way of life and their ethics and turn the country into a pile of *text deleted**text deleted* for everyone to walk over.

Seriously what is going on?

Aussie89

Reaction score
i think its just stupid and agree with what Ashley said. In Australia recruiters are not banned but however hold sessions during lunchtimes for which only people who are interested attend. I think this works but banning them all together is just insane

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I can understand that youngsters are mislead easily, however on the occasions I've spoken to careers officers they have ensured that I am 100% aware what I am getting myself in to and that I know I will deploy on active operations - putting my life at risk.

The ban may even cause the prospect of joining the military to become forbidden fruit, effectively completely reversing the effect that the ban is trying to cause.

Completely agree, a good point-it may well have a reverse-psychological effect.

Well done politically extreme teachers or adding a hidden depth to our "sophisticated" and "underhand" recruiting arsenal!

The truth is the NUT, whilst they can object, cannot ban us as we and many other employers) contribute freely to the curriculum providing a "mock-interview" program, Enterprise/Team Building days, careers conventions and many ex-servicepeople run Public (or Uniform) Service Courses and Skillforce work full time in schools.

One of my jobs is to liaise with nearly 200 local schools directly. We visit on average about 2 schools per week, so it takes us 2 years to spend a couple of hours in each school. One visit every two years is hardly "brainwashing children.

jimmy mal

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I watched this on the news and it made me really angry at the ignorance of the people responsible for making these decisions:

Firstly do they not understand the importance of the military and the benefits and privilages it has given them.

Secondly it is there right to disagree with it however the responsible parties failed to look at both sides of the coin and have taken a completely biased view in the opposite direction. Making reference to the guy saying "join the army and torture fellow humans" etc etc... surely this view is jsut as biased as not highlighting the danger (whenever ive seen an army/navy careers advisor they have made it clear to me what to expect)

In some ways i liken it to a university or a company when you go for an interview there they will only highlight the positive side of life at the university/company this is the nature of advertising, why must the military, which should be an institution we are all proud of, be singled out.

Rant over!

Jim

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I think it is quite ironic that the teachers recruitment adverts on TV show only the positive side of teaching – happy, smiling pupils ready to learn, always laughing and doing experiments and listening with respect to the teacher.

Where are the pupils giving the teachers verbal abuse, not doing their homework, ignoring the teachers, fighting amongst themselves, walking out of lessons, playing with their phones/mp3 players, teachers spending hours of their own time marking work and preparing for lessons just to have it thrown back in their face?

I am pretty sure when I was at school it was nothing like it is shown on the advert – I used to give my teachers a hard time and I was one of the good students!

When I originally joined the Royal Marines at 17 I was told the day I first stepped into the AFCO (before I even filled the form in) that I would be going to Afghanistan and I was told the same thing the day I joined my troop. With all the media coverage of operations over the last few years and programmes such as Commando: On the Front Line on TV it doesn’t matter if the AFCO were brainwashing people, you will still need to be an idiot not to know the reality of being in the Armed Forces.

Midnight_assassin

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
On my break at work today I was reading the newspaper over my cup of coffee and couple of hob *text deleted** biscuits, like the itellectual person I am (*text deleted* BS), and it was saying one of the other reasons was quite alot of teacher were agaisns't the current war, they felt all there hard work teaching these kids would be wasted if they just went to war. they also feel the recruitment ban would make it harder for us to operate in this war which means we would have to pull out.

This makes my blood boil! grrrr......

jimmy mal

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
And these people are responsible for educating the young of our country. Surely by them imposing this ban it is a form of censorship!!
jim

Midnight_assassin

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Lets wrap kids in cotton wool! and hide them from the reality of the world. I hate these *text deleted**text deleted*ing pansies in this country! Grow some f'ing balls!

MeridiaNx

Reaction score
All this boils down to is religion! I don't care what anyone else says this is an excuse by the government because we have so many races in school, if we're fighting against a country of their religion they're going to say it's offensive.

I agree with your point that the very notion of an 'armed' force suggests the inherent risks involved and that this may well represent yet another attempt to wrap us all in cotton wool.

However I fail to see how 'this' - the banning of recruiters because some teachers feel they are being misleading - can be blamed on religion. It is a call for transparency and whether they are right or wrong is worthy of debate. From my past experience of recruiters in schools I disagree and would argue that they are very candid about things and so I oppose the ban. But it doesn't work to yoke two different debates together stating that they are the same and that you 'don't care what anyone else says'. If you could make a case for it being primarily Muslim teachers calling for the ban due to a grudge about out involvement in Afghanistan and Iraq, while Christian teachers oppose it, you would have a point. I haven't read anything to suggest this so far.

The UK governments needs to get a grip, we're the sloppiest and by far the *text deleted**text deleted*test in the world. If this was Russia, you'd dissapear without a trace one night. If the was Australia you'd be told to shut up and get on with it. If it's the UK, they change their law, their rules, their way of life and their ethics and turn the country into a pile of *text deleted**text deleted* for everyone to walk over.

Again, I agree with the general point you're making that it seems inappropriate for our laws and customs to be changed/circumvented etc. etc. to suit parts of an immigrant population who do not want to integrate. Fair enough.

But again, compared to most nations in the world we have an extremely efficient and well-run government. The grass is always greener, but we judge by relative standards...no matter how efficient the government, there will always be something to criticise and so, when our media bombards us with stories of mess-ups left right and centre, we take that to mean we have a crap government. But we take for granted the general security we have. We complain about petrol prices where other nations complain about freedom of speech or access to basic sanitation. I'm not letting our own off the hook here, I'm just saying that we aren't the worst in the world, not by far. Look at any of the corrupt/overbearing nations in the world and say they're better than us. I certainly don't think the idea of 'disappear[ing] without a trace one night' in Russia is something to be admired when they apply it to silencing journalists working to expose corruption at the very highest levels.

I think you've got a point on some of the things you wrote Ashley, but *text deleted* the generalisations get in the way :)

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I know my Russia example was very extreme but the fact is, Russia won't change, Australia won't change, the UK always will.

Although I read carefully and I understand your point in comparison - I have so much to say about it (good and bad - for and against) but I don't seem to have the ability to put it into words the same way I think it.

I don't really know how to end my post to be honest except I wish the government could be stricter.

MeridiaNx

Reaction score
I don't really know how to end my post to be honest except I wish the government could be stricter.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, it's a very good summation and I know exactly what you're getting at :)

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Bring back National service :)

I think politicians should be forced to serve on the front line for a minimum of 2 years before being allowed near the house of commons.

Preferably put in the most dangerous areas of Afghanistan with nothing but a pencil as a weapon.

lewiss

Reaction score
the video isn't working for me, does anyone have any idea why??

thanks.