Reduced 2012 Intake?

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I understand Ninja is the only person here qualified to answer this question, but is it possible to find out the number of officers required for this years batch? The reason I ask is because a friend who recently attended a POC was told by a YO that there were only going to be 30 YOs on this years batch.

Before anyone asks I'm not trying to figure out how hard I need to try! I'm simply trying to understand the situation a little better.

Thanks in advance!

Kiddeh

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I'm not to sure about YO's but my CA informed me that the number of Marines being recruited this year is an increase on last year... this doesn't answer your question in itself but it stands to reason that more Marines means more YO's

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I think the increased recruiting numbers are an effort to maintain manning numbers, rather than a result of increasing the size of the Royal Marines.

There may of course be a reduced demand for YOs to fill the ranks, particularly if outtake at Troop Commander level is low. It may be a change in the ratio between direct entry candidates, corps commission candidates and bursary applicants. On the other hand it may not be true at all!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Not heard anything from my side, but I'll ring my "mole" tomorrow to double check.

I was only talking about YO numbers for this years batch a couple of weeks ago with my AIB guru & there was no mention of reduced numbers for YO.

As Kiddeh states, RM OR numbers required are increasing significantly, so it seems unusual to reduce YO numbers.

I'd be suspicious of a fellow potential recuit suggesting numbers are reduced - perish the though but he could have failed POC, he could fear you're have a better chance of selection or he could be winding you up.

I'll get definitive guidance before you deck him...:cool:

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hold me back, hold me back!

Thanks, this lad was full of confidence but seems less so, despite passing POC, after being told this by a YO at dinner. Obviously a YO would never be so evil to lie about this...

Thanks muchly!

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I do hope this isn't the case, hard enough to make the batch as it is.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Just checked - 43 YO's this year as compared to 48 last year.

Bear in mind there will be a few "back batched" in addition to the entry of 43.

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Thanks for checking, Ninja. That's a little better than 30!

byrney

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just checked - 43 YO's this year as compared to 48 last year.

Bear in mind there will be a few "back batched" in addition to the entry of 43.
What are the injury requirements for back-batching as YO? Clearly it can't be as simple as with OR back-batching so I'm assuming that a YO back-batched for injury would have to excel in all aspects of training in order to be back-batched and not medically discharged. Is it possible to be back-batched due to professional failures (admin/drill/tactical awareness etc.)?

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
What are the injury requirements for back-batching as YO? Clearly it can't be as simple as with OR back-batching so I'm assuming that a YO back-batched for injury would have to excel in all aspects of training in order to be back-batched and not medically discharged. Is it possible to be back-batched due to professional failures (admin/drill/tactical awareness etc.)?
I think it is very much case by case. But I believe last year there were up to 5 back-batchers.

So, 43 places. For argument's sake, 2-4 back-batchers, 2-3 corps commission.

We're looking at +-35-37 places up for grabs.

Hm, this should be fun..

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
"Back batching" is all to do with cost. The further you are into training & the closer the next entry you reach, the higher the probability. if the chances of recovery are high.

Number crunching for this years entry:

So far 4 passed POC & AIB, 25 booked for AIB, 70 booked on POC, 27 yet to get as far as being booked on POC.

Statistically the attrition rate is about one in three pass POC & AIB.

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Indeed, so the Batch will be at least double over-subscribed, if not triple.

Time to hit the books methinks.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
To be honest I wouldn't be that pessimistic - only a third of those applying are likely to pass both POC & AIB, if they get that far.

From the recruiting side of the fence, the general consensus is there are not enough applicants to fill the batch. But then again, they say that every year.

foggers

Reaction score
I've a friend in the current YO batch and two guys have been back batched due to stress fractures.

jungle-man

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Indeed, so the Batch will be at least double over-subscribed, if not triple.
It looks to me like they're actually under-subscribed. From those numbers it seems like there are only about 125ish guys still in the running for the batch. If only 1/3 of those make it through POC/AIB, then that pretty much leaves the required number for the batch.

To be honest, I was expecting there to be a lot more applicants.

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
It looks to me like they're actually under-subscribed. From those numbers it seems like there are only about 125ish guys still in the running for the batch. If only 1/3 of those make it through POC/AIB, then that pretty much leaves the required number for the batch.

To be honest, I was expecting there to be a lot more applicants.
There tends to be a surge toward the late stages of the application period, going by last year. Ninja, might be able to give an indication if such may be the case again.

Numbers were looking ok last year, then 100+ went and pass AIB.

Rufus111

Reaction score
These figures do seem surprisingly low, especially considering the resent changes to elements of the selection process for which people on here have explained is due to there being too many highly qualified people applying. It appears that this isn't the case?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
These figures do seem surprisingly low, especially considering the resent changes to elements of the selection process for which people on here have explained is due to there being too many highly qualified people applying. It appears that this isn't the case?
Not aware of any changes to selection which would suggest we're overborne by highly qualified applicants. The recruiting test score is just a coarse filter.

Graduate starting pay & seniority will be aligned with non-graduate pay & seniority so that RN & RM officers are paid & promoted exactly the same - precisely the same as Army & RAF YO's have been for many years.

Possibly the reason we've been oversubscribed in previous years was because we were the only service that offered higher pay & faster promotion to grads.

jungle-man

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Graduate starting pay & seniority will be aligned with non-graduate pay & seniority so that RN & RM officers are paid & promoted exactly the same - precisely the same as Army & RAF YO's have been for many years.

Possibly the reason we've been oversubscribed in previous years was because we were the only service that offered higher pay & faster promotion to grads.
I thought that grad and non-grad salaries were aimed to align for the 2013 batch, but that the old system would still hold for 2012. Is this not the case?

Rufus111

Reaction score
Does this mean everyone arriving for the YO 2013 batch will hold the rank of Officer Cadet and not 2Lt then?