Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Reducing run times.......

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by Lshort1988, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Lshort1988

Lshort1988 New Member

Got my prmc in 3 weeks now and just trying to get quicker particularly on the 3 mile run, What is the best way to do this and progress quickly without risking injury heres what ive been looking at and why I'm not sure...

*changing technique, instead of heel-ball run ball-heel-ball
    (some say changing to this increases likelyhood of injury ie.shinsplints due to impact on legs/shins others that it decreases strain on shins/calves etc.)

*increase stride length or increase stride rate??

might seem a stupid question but i want to shave some time off my scores but dread getting injured just before!

Cheers

2. Shiloh79

Shiloh79 Royal Marines Commando

interval sprint training is something you might want to consider ...

or if on a treadmill start of at say, 6mph and run at that for 1 minute then increase speed by 1mph to 7pmh and continue to run at this speed for another minute and just keep increasing the speed every 1minute till you cant run any longer ... rest for a couple of mins then start all over again ... repeat this a total off 3 times in succession.

3. Lshort1988

Lshort1988 New Member

oh ok cheers, i dont really do any treadmill running only time ive done that was for my pjft but would you say doing something like that method of training benefits for road running too yeh?
    just done my 3 miler in 21 minutes flat and it has a fair ammount of uphill so I'm ahppy with that, think I'm on the right track for my prmc now :)

4. Mr T

Mr T New Member

Have you looked into Tabata training?

This is a very good effective way of training, and you can use ti for anything not just sprints, i.e. push ups etc

5. Ty

Ty New Member

I'm looking for some help running too. Currently I run 4 miles in about 30 minutes, and 3 miles in the 24.30 minute range. I have been running for 2 months with NO improvements. Sometimes I get 24.00 in 3 miles, and then a few days later, I get 25.00. It's kinda discouraging. I run on an all flat dirt path, 3 - 4 times a week. Any suggestions ??.

6. mlewis123

mlewis123 New Member

Hill sprints! hill sprints! hill sprints! not only will these improve your run times they will help loads for the determination test.

Find somewhere on some back fields thats about 35 - 40 degree incline, and about 15 - 20 meters long and just sprint up and down them, you can always make it a circuit session and add push-ups, burpees, sit-ups ect.

If you live in a city and aren't near any back fields just use a normal hill, you will look a bit funny to the general public but its all worth it.

Matt.

7. Globe-Trotter

Globe-Trotter PRMC Passed

Try mixing it up with different lengths and speed of runs.At the moment all you are doing is training your body to do the 3-4miles in those stated times.