Reference problem

Wood93

Reaction score
Alright lads, I've got a bit of an issue with my application at the moment, unsure where i should get my references. I can get the personal friend reference just fine but the previous employer or teacher reference is a road block.

I've been two years out of high school so i cant get a tutor reference, i went to college this year but dropped out because it wasn't for me and i think its unlikely that my college tutor will be my referee. My dad's self employed and for the last 5-6 months I've been working for him. I'm not sure if i'm allowed a reference from a family member even if he is my employer so what can i do about this?

gym beast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
you can always ring and see what they say, *text deleted** used my best mate and my old boss, theyll find a way round it if you ask em

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
References from relations are not permitted for obvious reasons.

Those unable to find a suitable individual willing to vouch for their reliability, integrity & employability will be painfully aware of the reason they are required.

Wood93

Reaction score
Filled me with hope there haha. Would you suggest that i sought out a new job to get a valid reference then ninja? still determined to continue this process as soon as possible

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If there's no-one in a position of authority or of social standing willing to vouch for you, then it very much indicates something a checkered past.

GingerjoeRM

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure my references have been contacted, prmc in 5 weeks, SC's granted? Hmm

Blorange

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yes im 18 and well i dont know how to get a previous employers reference, the only job i have had was a paper round and i did that for around 4 years,

but my family member ran it.

what should i do

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
yes im 18 and well i dont know how to get a previous employers reference, the only job i have had was a paper round and i did that for around 4 years,

but my family member ran it.

what should i do
Try providing solutions rather than problems, adopt a 'can do' attitude.

It isn't school where teachers solve your problems, it's real life where you are expected to produce answers & solutions to make yourself employable.