Regarding Boots, for any lads in training already

dbar8886

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
There are a lot of posts about this and have scoured them all and from what i gather, the general consensus is for PRMC
you grab whatever boots you can that fit you,
Dont buy your own boots and train in them before hand
dont double up on socks or you get punished,
wrap up with zinc oxide tape if you want..
And Insoles are ok
get through the pain.

Then if you pass that, do you get issued boots after PRMC ready for RT? Or are the same ones you picked up earlier FOR the PRMC?

Same rule then applies... dont train with the boots prior to RT just walk in them and make them as comfy as poss.

Insoles all good for RT training as is foot care and Tape.

Anyone want to add anything to this?

Cheers for any help guys.

Yossarian

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You can take your own boots to POC - as long as they have a heel block as far as I'm aware. And you can wear as many pairs of socks as you want, as well as zinc oxide/insoles/vaseline etc.

Once you pass, you get a nice shiny new pair to take home and break in for RT. The training team did actually say we should go for a few runs in them to get used to them.

GingerjoeRM

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I was thinking you could wear as many socks as you want, they'll hardly punish you for two?

dbar8886

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Nice one thanks for the info.
Think some tape and 2 pairs of socks should help!

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Training teams can get a bit funny about you taking your own insoles down to RT, unless proscribed to you or whatever by a medical professional, physio etc.
It might be for insurance purposes, or perhaps because lads were causing themselves more damage than they were solving by self-proscribing "comfy" insoles, that might lead to foot-rot from poor ventilation/water absorption, or shin problems.
I don't know.

And if your body is a bit lob-sided, the physio's there can sort you out with some custom insoles (worth quite a few bob in civvy street.)

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Remember when doubling-up on socks, thin ones underneath thick ones. It doesn't work so well the other way round.

Anthony_H

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
1000 mile lining socks well worth the investment I think. I have always got bad blisters and they solve it for me, I swear by them. I even where them on there own in trainers, because the double lining stops me getting blisters and there only thin.

Eyebrows

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
One thing thats helped my feet with blisters is barefoot running. It really toughens the soles of your feet up as you can imagine. Doesn't make much of a difference to blisters on the back of your heel though.

Digerydog

Reaction score
1000 mile lining socks well worth the investment I think. I have always got bad blisters and they solve it for me, I swear by them. I even where them on there own in trainers, because the double lining stops me getting blisters and there only thin.

Yeah i use these as well....they're great for stopping blisters etc!

dbar8886

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just looking up these 1000 mile socks, most people seem to be raving about them, so RT dont care what socks you wear right? If they really are preventative when it comes to blisters then i might a few pairs! Anyone got any advise for using zinc oxide tape?
Do you just wrap any potential problem areas up and then hope for the best?

Grimmey

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
you basically just wrap your soles and edges of your toes with it, basically the parts that are most prone to blisters. Anywhere on your feet is prone to get blisters you just cant help it, because you are going to get them wet and your feet are going to take a hell of a beating.

My cousin told me about a bit of sick story, when he was on basic for his navy engineering he told me when ever they used to go for runs and big walks they'd wrap their feet up in tape. This girl had massive blisters on her feet and had to wrap the tape over her feet, and at the end of the day when she ripped the tape off she ripped off all the blisters with them accidently...Yum:dinner:

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
1000 Mile socks are the beast. I also swear by them and they can take a beating - they held-up nicely in the jungle for a week of daily slippy, muddy hills and river-crossings, no issues at all.

Ednie

Reaction score
You get issued socks in training Im pretty sure you wont be allowed to wear you're own.. I wasnt when in training for the army so very much doubt the royal marines will let you mate. There good for walking in before you go down to Lympstone though.

wickedmikey

Reaction score
On my PRMC (20-23/03/2012) we got issued socks for the bottom field/ endurance course day with our field kit for the night out they said we had to wear them.

zinc oxide tape is good for the morning while you are relatively dry, but on the endurance course you feet get so wet the tape stops sticking, and can actually contribute to blisters.

compeed etc are brilliant for afterwards though.

Kiddeh

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You get issued socks in training Im pretty sure you wont be allowed to wear you're own...
wickedmikey said:
On my PRMC (20-23/03/2012) we got issued socks for the bottom field/ endurance course day with our field kit for the night out they said we had to wear them.
I was on that PRMC and heard no such thing... what room were you in?

Anyway no you don't HAVE to wear the socks that are issued... I wore 2 pairs of my own... one linen inner sock and a woollen outer sock... no blister issues or anything of the sort (Unlike my first PRMC pictures to follow perhaps)... I did use my issued socks on the night out though and they weren't to bad at'all...

wickedmikey

Reaction score
I was in the top room furthest from the showers etc... one of the lads asked the corporal why we were issued the socks (because we all brought our own) and he said we were supposed to wear them for endurance course, night out.

yeah, it's not like they go around checking what socks you are wearing, and I found the ones they issued to be ok!

Dyss

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Thought I'd clear this up for you lads, you get issued 5 pairs of pussers socks along with all your other kit, this includes another pair of spankers boots which will become your camp boots! I went running in my boots we get given after prmc before RT for every run I did, all running in boots does is make it harder, the harder it is the fitter you'll get! Plus you get stripped of your comfy ?100 Nike running shoes and they are replaced with a pair of silver shads anyway! With regards to wearing your own socks- they technically can't stop you but phase 1 is all about proving to your training team you can administer yourself successfully with only pussers issued gear! PLUS if you go down massively in the field and are wearing your own gear then you can't do anything about it! You can get zinc oxide tape at sick bay in RT and if you don't tape your feet up regardless of how well worn in your 'field' (prmc issued boots) are your *text deleted**text deleted** find yourself re trooped backwards due to blisters! Not taping your feet up is just bad admin! And painful! Hope this helps lads

dbar8886

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thought I'd clear this up for you lads, you get issued 5 pairs of pussers socks along with all your other kit, this includes another pair of spankers boots which will become your camp boots!

Thanks for the info mate, thats real helpful, so just to clarify, the 5 socks you get issued and boots are all new and given to you once you pass PRMC right?
Any by pussers, you mean?? *text deleted**

So you reckon its worth using zinc oxide tape for prmc or just RT?

and your advise would be to just fall in with only isssued kit to begin with right? The boots arnt that bad are they?

thanks again

Dyss

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You'll get issued a pair after passing prmc which you will break in and they will become your field/ phys boots. You dont get issued any socks though! And then upon arrival to RT you get issued another pair which will be your camp boots! And tape your feet up for prmc if you can mate definitely, mine were in pieces after the run back! And pussers issue is just another way of saying issued by the corps! Cheers