Regarding the Corps knowledge interview questions

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I was wondering if you could just clarify the answers to some of the questions from this thread:

http://www.prmc.co.uk/showthread.php?t=151

I feel that I know the majority of answers but would like to see others answers. Particularly these ones:

5. What happened at Walcheren?

7. What was the Corps last major battle honour?

15. Where in the world are the Royal Marines currently serving?

16. What is the name of the personal weapon currently used by the Royal Marines?

18. If on completion of training, you are given a trade or branch you do not want, what is the minimum compulsory time you have to serve in that branch.

20. What are the names of the Royal Navy’s Assault Ships?

21. What is their role in regards to the Royal Marines?

22. What are the roles of HMS OCEAN?

23. Where is the Headquarters of the Royal Marines situated?

29. Which Commando Unit has recently returned from Afghanistan

30. Which is the next Commando unit to go to Afghanistan

Like I said, I feel that I know the answers but would just like clarification on these questions in particular by some other users on here.

Thanks alot!

chelseafc

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
ite mate,

not sure about all answers to the questions so here is what i no

5. try this for the battle of walcheren (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walcheren)

7. falklands 1982

15. afghanistan

16. SA80

thats all i found out so far i'll let u no when i have found out the rest

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
ite mate,

not sure about all answers to the questions so here is what i no

5. try this for the battle of walcheren (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walcheren)

7. falklands 1982

15. afghanistan

16. SA80

thats all i found out so far i'll let u no when i have found out the rest

Thanks mate, appreciated. I'm pretty sure I'll do fine in the interview but it doesn't hurt to revise that little bit extra eh. :]

smithy85

Reaction score
Howdie, here's a few i'm pretty sure i know:

16- SA80 (A2)
18- i'm not 100% but i think its 2 years minimum
20- HMS Albion, HMS Bulwark and HMS Ocean
21- to carry Embarked Military Force (EMF), transport, and deploy and recover (by
air and sea) troops and their equipment, vehicles and miscellaneous cargo, forming
part of an Amphibious Assault Force. (taken straight from RN website)
22- again straight from RN website- The ship's primary role is to carry an Embarked Military
Force (EMF) supported by 12 medium support helicopters, 6 attack helicopters and 4
Landing Craft Vehicle Personnel (LCVP) Mk 5 Landing Craft.
23- HQ of RM is Portsmouth, HQ of 3 Commando Brigade is Stone House barracks Plymouth
29- 40 Commando are there now about half way through their tour, before them it was 42
Commando who were last out there
30- again not 100% on this one but i'm fairly sure from what i read in the Globe and Laurel
is that 42 are next to go out on OP Herrick 9

hopefuly some one will be able to confirm my not so sure question for ya *text deleted* hope this helps.

Skippa

Reaction score
10- Where are the Commando Units located?

I'd appreciate it hugely if someone got back to me on this one so I should know a fair few of the Q/A.

-Cheers.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
There seems to be an issue with question 7,
some are saying it is the Falklands and some are saying it is Iraq,
any confirmation from someone 100% in the know?

Joe

R. M. Pitt

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I heard all the commando units were going to Afghanistan soon is this right?

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
5. What happened at Walcheren?

A google search will bring up loads of info on this

7. What was the Corps last major battle honour?

I was asked this in my interview and my response was Iraq and the Chief had no problems with it

15. Where in the world are the Royal Marines currently serving?

Afghanistan currently, however Royal Marines are also serving on Royal Navy ships arond the globe assisting in catching drug smugglers, people trafficers etc so essentially they are everywhere. Also news section on each Commando is available here : http://www.royalmarines.mod.uk/server/show/nav.6614

16. What is the name of the personal weapon currently used by the Royal Marines?

All the info on Marine Weapons and Equipment are on Royal Marine Website
http://www.royalmarines.mod.uk/server/show/nav.6914

18. If on completion of training, you are given a trade or branch you do not want, what is the minimum compulsory time you have to serve in that branch.

Depends on how long and what it cost to train you i have been told

20. What are the names of the Royal Navy’s Assault Ships?

Available on Royal Navy Website:
http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.1771

21. What is their role in regards to the Royal Marines?

To carry, deploy and support them.

22. What are the roles of HMS OCEAN?

On royal navy website:
http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.00h001001005001

23. Where is the Headquarters of the Royal Marines situated?

Whale island if i remember right

29. Which Commando Unit has recently returned from Afghanistan

40 Commando
http://www.royalmarines.mod.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.12609/changeNav/6628

30. Which is the next Commando unit to go to Afghanistan

All three i think for op herrick

I would also recommend reading the descriptions on Royal navy website about some of the other ships and just learning a little more about the Royal Navy.

Gazkane

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
40 commando – taunton
42 commando – Plymouth
45 commando - Arbroath

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Remember reading somewhere on here that you are allowed to ask for a specific commando and if they can accommodate you they will allow you into it, however depending on unit strength, your specialization etc they will put you where they decide you are most needed

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
A lot of people get confused with regard the Royal Marines (28/10/1664- should be ingrained on your mind!) & the Royal Marines Commandos.

The PRMC Extra site as instigated by GW is a very user-friendly way to access FAQ's, rather than reading reams of bland text.

Work is still in progress, but it's worth a visit guys.

In addition an excellent reference for the history & origins of the British Commandos, particularly for Officer Candidates, covering the later formation of the Special Air Service, Special Boat Squadron & Parachute Regiment from the British Commando Forces can be found here on Wikipedia.

At AFCO level we're looking for evidence of research, at PRMC they are measuring your motivation

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Can I just say as well that im pretty sure the marines are NOT currently serving in Afghanistan, 40 came back (they had a parade and my next door neighbour is in 40 and I see him most mornings).

There are also currently no Marines abroad on training (ALTHOUGH THE YO's are in Belize)

The last Battle honour was Iraq, I believe it was for the invasion at the Al Fawr Peninsular.

Blanio

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
continuation of interview questions

Just another few questions as i've got my interview and medical on Monday and am more worried about this than the PRMC!

Do I need to know the commando ethos - I know you have to know them for the PRMC interview but am not sure about the one at the AFCO?

And are many history questions normally asked, as I seem to be spending most of my time learning history word by word from a sheet of paper trying to remember it all!

Really appreciate your replies,

Cheers.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Just another few questions as i've got my interview and medical on Monday and am more worried about this than the PRMC!

Do I need to know the commando ethos - I know you have to know them for the PRMC interview but am not sure about the one at the AFCO?

And are many history questions normally asked, as I seem to be spending most of my time learning history word by word from a sheet of paper trying to remember it all!

Really appreciate your replies,

Cheers.

You are not expected to be able to recite the Commando ethos at this stage.

As for corps history, all you really need to know for the interview is when they were formed, Walcheren and Falklands and some of the dates of when certain elements of the badge were added. (although I wasn't asked any history questions)

Of course you should also know all the elements of the badge and what they stand for.

Blanio

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, i've got one more :D

Was speaking to the adviser in my local AFCO and he was just quizing me about PRMC requirements.

I remembered the obvious:

Sit ups - min of 20/ max of 60
Pull ups - 6
Sit ups - Min of 30 or 40..(which is it? *text deleted*) and max of 80.
3 miler: 12.30 mins as troop then best effort back...minimum of 10.30.

He then asked me for more... and went totally blank!

The only other one I can think of is the assult course...but I don't know the time required? Anyone know?

Any other set standards I should know before my interview?

Also, is it true that 45 are currently training in the Arctic?

Cheers :)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Ok, i've got one more :D

I remembered the obvious:

Sit ups - min of 20/ max of 60
Pull ups - 6
Sit ups - Min of 30 or 40..(which is it? *text deleted*) and max of 80.
3 miler: 12.30 mins as troop then best effort back...minimum of 10.30.

He then asked me for more... and went totally blank!

The only other one I can think of is the assult course...but I don't know the time required? Anyone know?

Any other set standards I should know before my interview?

Also, is it true that 45 are currently training in the Arctic?

Cheers :)

Whoopsie, you need to do a little bit more revision possibly. Around 60-80 sit-ups and 40-60 press-ups would be more accurate.

You need to be aware of the other elements such as Bleep Test, swim 50 metres breaststroke, high obstacle course, gym test two, determination test etc.

If you go to the news section on here or on the RM website under News, you can see what each unit is up to.

You need to also be aware of what Commando Training involves & what the tests are.

Good luck.

parker

Reaction score
Hi, im new here (been looking around for a few weeks) and when it says explain the different features of commando training, does that mean name each module (foundation, individual skills etc.) or do they want me to say what happens in each module? thanks.

New Threads