Regular Amry and Royal Marines

sean7375

Reaction score
Just a quick question,
How come for marines you can start training at 16 but in army you can apply only at 18?

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You can join the regular army at 16 i've got a few mates that have gone in and one joining in january.

will

Reaction score
me too mate. one of my friends is joinin royal artilarry in december for trainin and hes 16

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yeah thats right you can join either at 16, theyll be both the same though that you have to be 18+ to be deployed on a tour, and dont alot of 16 year olds that join the army go to that army college for a while before they start training etc?! (cant remember what its called!)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Just to clarify (& apologies if it appears I'm being pedantic)

You can apply for all 3 services from the age of 15 years & 9 months- Yes, whilst still in Year 11, with parental consent, you may undergo the complete selection process before you actually leave school.

You may not join until the completion of your academic year, after the last GCSE has been taken in the June of that year. This applies even if you consider yourself to have left school/opted out/or are not sitting any GCSE's.

As stated, you cannot be deployed operationally until 18 with the Corps. I have heard of someone under 18 being deployed with the RAF Regiment, but it is not policy to deploy under 18. For Army, same at the Corps, you will not be operationally deployed until 18- soldiers usually go to Bassingbourn or Harrogate.

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
So what do under 18s do in the corps? if i pass out of training ill still have :roll: :roll: :roll: .....4 months till my 18th

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
You will either stay with the unit rear-party back in the UK base, if they are deployed, until you hit 18 or maybe deployed to a "secure base" in support of the front-line troops.

Do bear in mind that it is not always the case that you will pass out of training exactly 32 weeks after you have joined the Corps, it often takes longer.