Rehabilitation Offenders Form

christiaan

Reaction score
I got the forms for RMR application
I filled the normal one ok but the offenders form, im in trouble *text deleted*

I havent even spoken to a policeperson (politically correct! 8) ) haha...so how do i fill it out? What are spent/unspent convictions?

Thanks, i know the question is really dumb but i dont get it.

Christiaan

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hiya Mate,

Assuming your referring to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (MOD Form 493- written on the top right hand corner), if you have no criminal convictions, or spent convictions, you simply sign & date it.

If you have any convictions which are unspent (read the explanation inside the form) you must declare them.

When you complete your Security Clearance form (MOD Form 1109) ALL convictions must be declared. BUT if you have anything to declare, you may detach the page & place it in a sealed, signed & attached (stapled) envelope.

You should be aware:

CANDIDATES WHO ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR ENTRY
1. Candidates are not eligible for entry into the Naval Service and are not to be processed with any of the following unspent convictions:

a. Hospital Order.

b. Sexual offences (including those listed on the Sex Offenders Register).

c. Offences involving loss of life.

d. Arson.

e. Misuse of Drugs:

(I) Any offence relating to Trafficking or Supply of drugs.

(II) Any offence relating to the use of Class A drugs.

(III) More than one conviction for "possession for personal use" of a Class B or C drug. (See drugs classifications)

f. Three or more offences against persons, property, dishonesty or serious motoring offences.

christiaan

Reaction score
Thanks yeah thats the form and your reply helped.
I knew it'd be something as simple as that *text deleted*

Thanks

foss

Reaction score
joining

last year in august i was foin basic training in the army but i DAOR (dishcharge as of rite) would this stop me from joining the marines at all

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
erm i dont think it does mate but when Ninja is on he will sort you out :D

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hiya Foss,

You are perfectly entitled to apply for the RM, however you MUST remember the reasons you submitted DAOR from the Army (RM equivalent of Premature Voluntary Release- PVR or submitting notice after completing training & minimum return of service) - it certainly won't be any easier as a Royal Marine. Be aware, it takes quite a long time to process re-entrants.

You may well have already seen this, but it gives you an idea of the process, which isn't as straightforward as a first-time applicant:

To process your application you must first provide all of the listed documentation (1-9 below), the onus is on you to provide them at your earliest opportunity.

1. Discharge Certificate

2. Last RORRS Report (RN/RM only). This must indicate whether you are recommended further service.(If the report states you are not recommended for further service then we can not process your application, if it says after "x" months, you must wait for that time to elapse before you may re-apply)

3. Your last pay statement (This ensures you get paid for your service seniority were applicable).

4. Passport (You must have a valid one as a condition of entry into the service)

5. NHS Number

6. NI Number

7. Birth Certificate

8. Red Book- ARMY ONLY

9. Testimonial- Royal Marines

When you provide above listed documentation, you should complete a new application form, sign the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act & you MUST sign your consent for the release of:

a) Your former service records.
b) Your former medical records.

The AFCO can not accept application forms without first taking copies of the above documentation.

The AFCO will then apply for your former records. (Typically this takes about 3-4 weeks for former RN/RM & RAF applicants, former ARMY applicants is approx 6-8 weeks). On receipt the AFCO will then apply for permission to process your application- this takes a further 3-4 weeks & is granted by the Royal Marines Branch Manager. Providing you are considered a viable candidate for re-entry, the AFCO can then proceed with your application.

If you are a Trained RM Commando re-entry, you have to be interviewed, pass medical, PJFT & have your Security Clearance renewed before the AFCO can apply for permission for you to re-enter service. Your Branch Manager will advise what additional training you must undergo upon re-joining, subject to when you left the service.

For all others: Your Royal Navy Recruiting Test (RT) has to have been passed within the last three years, and have scored high enough for the Royal Marine Commandos. ALL former RAF & ARMY candidates, together with RN/RM applicants who have underscored or are out of date will be required to sit the RT. If you score high enough, you will be interviewed & if found suitable you will be medically examined & if you are passed fit for service you will undergo the pre-joining fitness test.

If you pass all of that the AFCO will then re-apply for security clearance, which takes about 6-8 weeks. After being granted security clearance the AFCO then apply for permission for you to re-enter the service.

You should be aware that the waiting time to enter the service can vary from month to month and is subject to variance because of the limited amount of training places available and the number of applicants at any given time.

There are several things you should also take in to consideration when re-joining the Service, but two major considerations are as follows:

1. You will be required to undergo phase one training at CTC Lympstone if you are a former RN/RAF/ARMY applicant or did not complete phase one training to an adequate standard previously.

2. You will re-join the service on the AFPS 05 pension scheme regardless of which scheme you left on - this is significantly different to the earlier AFPS 75 scheme and you would be strongly advised to investigate further how this will affect you.

The thing to remember is that re-entry is by no means guaranteed & your former record of service is a key factor in your being permitted to re-enter.

Good luck!

foss

Reaction score
cheers for the info *text deleted* much appreciated and i have my appointment at the afco 2morro so il give it a look over there do you think i should tell them strait away that i DAORor wait until they ask or a appropriate time?
once again cheers

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hiya Foss,

You have to declare you have former service on the application form anyway. Take your Red Book & the above documentation when you go to the AFCO- you can then submit an application form whilst you are there.

Good luck.

foss

Reaction score
ryt cheers *text deleted* il have a look 4 me red book dno were it is *text deleted* what should i do if i cnt find it?

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
foss said:
ryt cheers *text deleted* il have a look 4 me red book dno were it is *text deleted* what should i do if i cnt find it?
you can write (and write only) and get another sent out.....takes about 8 millions years..but should take 6 weeks....

foss

Reaction score
i have been told seen as thoo i only served 6 weeks i didnt get a red book would this get in the way of me serving in the marines or should i just take in my discharge papers next time i go into the AFCO?

frankthetank

Reaction score
hi there. thinking of applying but have a suspended sentence. it was an 18 month suspended sentence for possessing an offensive weapon. the 18 months has just finished but i understand it is not spent for 10 years. would this effect my applying for the corp?

Matt4017

Reaction score
Short answer is probabaly yes. How old were you when the sentence was given?

If you were under 18 then the rehabilitation period is halved so it would be 5 years instead of 10. Even if you weren't under 18 then if your AFCO thinks it's appropriate they can apply for a waiver to reduce it from 10 to 5 years but that is by no means guaranteed.

I don't think it could be reduced further than 5 years but i'm not certain. For a definitive answer best bet is to contact your nearest AFCO.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The advice, as Matt has stated, is to talk to your AFCO.

Generally speaking you are looking at 10 years rehabilitation from date of conviction - if it was a suspended prison sentence.

Waivers are neither a right, nor are they considered for most offences which result in imprisonment unfortunately.