Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Replacement Forum

Discussion in 'Site Issues, News and Developments' started by Harsh, May 9, 2016.

1. Harsh

Harsh Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I woke up today to an email that was a real shame as you all did as well. This forum is closing soon, now that doesn't mean the end and I'm determined for that not to be the case. So if this is allowed and all okay we can make a replacement, obviously there will be some core differences. It will entirely be a training advice forum, and a method of relaying official information, due to the abcsense of someone with the insider knowledge. Now there are some things that need considering: Initial Costs, Staffing and name. This will not be an easy thing to do. However the objective is to start now so as much information as possible can be ported over. This will require some give from you guys i am willing to put down £100 to start the ball rolling but will need some help. At this stage all is up for discussion.

Costs:https://xenforo.com/purchase/,https://www.nimbushosting.co.uk/cloud-hosting/entry-level and the domain name.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  2. Shadow Frog

Shadow Frog Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Don't wast you're money.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Rest assured we'll give as much notice as possible before we pull the plug, if that's what happens.

You need to be aware however, it isn't cheap. For those aiming to join, time is the most costly element after the financial aspect. Those who fail selection or training are not going to be wanting to continue to invest.

Either way, before you spend a bean, wait until all avenues are genuinely exhausted. We will keep you posted, I promise you that - and you will have time enough to canvas support to create a viable social media platform.

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Is it not possible to hand the reins over to another careers advisor? Although, they need to have your sense of humour :D

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

It's not quite that easy unfortunately. We tried that on the RN website a few years back & it crashed and burned. It's still there, and there are unanswered queries dating back many months. It died a death. https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/forums/f2.aspx

6. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Ha, I remember!!

I just hoped you'd be hand over to your successor, even if they only used it during offfice hours

• Like Like x 1
  7. venator

venator New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    It would help if the owner of this forum provides the database for this forum. I will be willing to write a script that will port the data on this forum's database to the new forum's database so that everyone's login will remain unchanged. Obviously all the passwords are hashed so they are secured.

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

When/if the fateful day comes, any forum or whatever replaces it will have to be clean sheet. We previously gave the keys to the site for free, but the administrators did not have the technical knowledge to maintain the site software. It's not happening again due to reputational risk.

The format and functionality already exists at the link above so, in the event things don't go as most hope for, users can register/re-register and crack-on. I originally created it, copying the layout from our site, but the software is not particularly good and it's less 'user friendly', hence the reason we relaunched this site, with ten-fold contributors & activity.

The only downsides are the RN website version is only administered to point you in a direction where you can find the advice -ie: 'Speak to a qualified careers adviser' or 'call our helpline'. In short, the community can prevail, the technical advice cannot as the admin team are not careers staff and it is unlikely in the extreme anyone seconded to help would wish to do so outside office hours - and that is what makes a forum work. (He says, posting at 5:29 am)

In the meantime, stick around, it ain't happened yet.

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
  9. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

Just to echo that and add a little bit more. Hopefully people followed persec but there will still be some data on here others will be unhappy about passing on to any third party.

It is just so much safer if that is never released to anyone, plus it is sort of against the data protection act to do it without the consent of each individual.

It just makes it unworkable in truth even if we wanted to.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 4
  10. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

I much prefare this "train of thought" than a notion of Replacement forums.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Guest

Guest Guest

Random one Ninja, could you not join the RNR once you leave the regs and apply for an FTRS contract? That way even if you don't get a contract as a CA, you'd still be in the service and able to maintain the content on here, to a certain extent.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

It is certainly one of the options I'm looking at.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Banshee

Banshee Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Good luck with everything been on the forum for awhile. Been a very good source of information. It's been a bit quite as of late since @"Sandy" started training no one seems to be bickering anymore ;)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I'm pretty confident @"Sandy" will change his outlook considerably...if he achieves his goal. One of two things will happen along the route to success and I'm fairly sure he's smart enough to toe the line when required. Equally it would be dull for everyone else if the site membership didn't have spirited contributors :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1