Reserve before Regular?

Stroll147

Reaction score
I am still not sure wether I'll attempt as enlisted or officer, but either way I am doing my A-Levels. I cannot wait to attempt to join the RM, so would anyone recommend joining the RMR in the meantime? And also the affect (if any) this has on my application for the Regulars? And no I am not joining for 'experience' or something I understand It's a fully functional force and it's one I want to be apart of. Any answers appreciated, thanks.

stoic_phys

Reaction score
That's what I am doing, Would recommend RMR will get your phys up and give you a good insight into RM life.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn’t bother going the RMR route your only 16 just go for the regulars or do your a levels then go for regulars .
I don’t understand why people who are going to have a lot of work/assignments to do would try choose the RMR as a side thing makes no sense to me but each to their own!

Stroll147

Reaction score
I wouldn’t bother going the RMR route your only 16 just go for the regulars or do your a levels then go for regulars .
I don’t understand why people who are going to have a lot of work/assignments to do would try choose the RMR as a side thing makes no sense to me but each to their own!
That’s why I’m asking really, still lots of stuff I’d need to figure out. And thanks for your info!

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
That’s why I’m asking really, still lots of stuff I’d need to figure out. And thanks for your info!
‘That’s no worries!
How long is your A-levels, what are you planning on studying: And was you planning on going to Uni after doing them?
You’ve got plenty of time to decide what you wish to do so I guess it pans down to what you see yourself doing would aspire to be doing 5/10 years from now?

R4Robotics

Spectator
Reaction score
RMR is a big commitment, but people have gone through it and university.

yes it will get your phys “up” and give you RM “experience” - if that’s the reason you are doing it then I suggest you either crack on with your studies or don’t admit that to anyone. After all the training team give up time with their families and other commitments to help you achieve your goal. They want to help dedicated and committed lads not those that are just there for a “jolly” (extreme wording but you get my point). Not only that someone openly “only there until I go regular” might find they are alienated from the troop.

you have nothing to lose and everything to gain if it is your dream progression. A lot of guys have been in RMR and either got a few years experience in the reserves and gone officer or back through recruit training. Some have even gone into training and decided that regulars are for them and transferred - just as some regular recruits transfer to the reserves.

Don’t underestimate the commitment - but equally don’t be put off by it.

good luck

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
My advice is do your Alevels and just join regs after. You shouldn’t need to join the RMR to get your phys up, and you will get plenty of insight when you join. The Corps will still be here once you have passed your a levels. You will have a couple more years of maturity under your belt and been able to muck around with your civvi mates while still at school. Joining RMR would take most of that time away from you, then only to join regs training again day one week one same as everyone else if you don’t complete training with the reserves.

Aerial

Reaction score
I would get your A-Levels in the bag and then join the Regs. There really isn't any rush, and if you want to get a little taster you could always ask to attend Holding Troop at your closest RMR unit for a bit of phys and familiarisation.

RMR is a big commitment timewise, and you'd be better off using these two years to study and have fun with your mates.

Stroll147

Reaction score
RMR is a big commitment, but people have gone through it and university.

yes it will get your phys “up” and give you RM “experience” - if that’s the reason you are doing it then I suggest you either crack on with your studies or don’t admit that to anyone. After all the training team give up time with their families and other commitments to help you achieve your goal. They want to help dedicated and committed lads not those that are just there for a “jolly” (extreme wording but you get my point). Not only that someone openly “only there until I go regular” might find they are alienated from the troop.

you have nothing to lose and everything to gain if it is your dream progression. A lot of guys have been in RMR and either got a few years experience in the reserves and gone officer or back through recruit training. Some have even gone into training and decided that regulars are for them and transferred - just as some regular recruits transfer to the reserves.

Don’t underestimate the commitment - but equally don’t be put off by it.

good luck
Thanks alot, I did say in my question I understand its a fully functional force and I'm not just joining for experience, phys etc. but something I genuinely want to be apart of . Thanks again!

Stroll147

Reaction score
I would get your A-Levels in the bag and then join the Regs. There really isn't any rush, and if you want to get a little taster you could always ask to attend Holding Troop at your closest RMR unit for a bit of phys and familiarisation.

RMR is a big commitment timewise, and you'd be better off using these two years to study and have fun with your mates.
I actually like this idea, I will have a further look as I didn't know this was possible, Thanks alot!

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
RM training is something you only want to do once!

Get some A-levels and some more life experience and join after that. You won't regret it.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I am still not sure wether I'll attempt as enlisted or officer, but either way I am doing my A-Levels. I cannot wait to attempt to join the RM, so would anyone recommend joining the RMR in the meantime? And also the affect (if any) this has on my application for the Regulars? And no I am not joining for 'experience' or something I understand It's a fully functional force and it's one I want to be apart of. Any answers appreciated, thanks.
RMR isn't there for a back door, or work experience. RMR has a job to do, recruiting and numbers is hard enough without them wasting time on lads doing it as a stepping stone.
While you can transfer sideways into Regular RM, I wouldn't recommend it, you should focus on your education and general all round fitness, then just go straight into Regulars from there.

You don't need any "experience" to join Recruit Training because thats exactly what its there for, to learn and be trained.
You would just be wasting everyones time if you went RMR, risked injury, and then onto Regulars.

Keep your youth for education and having a bit of fun. Keep up your fitness too. If you are considering RM Officer then you will likely be looking to go to university too?

Stroll147

Reaction score
RMR isn't there for a back door, or work experience. RMR has a job to do, recruiting and numbers is hard enough without them wasting time on lads doing it as a stepping stone.
While you can transfer sideways into Regular RM, I wouldn't recommend it, you should focus on your education and general all round fitness, then just go straight into Regulars from there.

You don't need any "experience" to join Recruit Training because thats exactly what its there for, to learn and be trained.
You would just be wasting everyones time if you went RMR, risked injury, and then onto Regulars.

Keep your youth for education and having a bit of fun. Keep up your fitness too. If you are considering RM Officer then you will likely be looking to go to university too?
Yes and as I tried to make clear this is not how I see it, I specifically said I would not be joining for experience but to be part of a fully functioning force which is how I see the RMR. Thank you though for the advice, and I am going to apply for university's so as to not put all my eggs in one basket but I am trying to gain life skills/experience through jobs, volunteering etc. so that when I try and join the batch after sixth form I present a enticing application and hopefully impress the AIB - but if not I would hopefully try after uni.