Reserve for the 08 batch and selection again for sep 09

gerrard86

Reaction score
Firstly i would like to thank people who have posted their experiences of POC and AIB on this site. I can say that it certainly helped me pass both POC and AIB this year.

On a more gutting note, as i said i passed poc and aib but unfortunately my score just missed out on the top 50 pass mark and i was placed as a reserve for the batch. I have been encouraged to undergo selection again for the 09 batch and that is what i fully intend to do!

Was wondering if their is anyone on here in the same position as myself? any thoughts about your plans, apparently we will have to retake POC again this year...that is a real mental stinger!

Also as this site helped me, I am happy to answer any q's on poc and aib that are not answered by other posts and any tips about training etc...

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hi & a warm welcome.

Really sorry to hear you weren't selected this year- I'm sure there's a member on here that passed selection but was unable to join through injury & like you has to undergo POC again & will doubtless be going through the same angst.

Not that it's of much consolation, but about 4 years ago there were around 200 guys who passed POC & AIB, but only 50 (ish) were selected. Some of the guys elected to join as OR, many re-applied the following year for Officer.

noveldex

Reaction score
Thats is gutting mate, but if you really want it crack on and I will be grabbing you as my oppo at our next POC! On a more serious note, congratulations on passing two of the hardest selection events in the UK - you got further than a lot of people I am sure. Did you write a diary for your AIB/POC? Thats always useful, I know that is what I am going to do after how much this site has aided me in preparing for crawling through 'pete's pool'!

Crack on, get your head down and be better prepared for next time so you can ensure that top 50 spot next AIB.

Hopefully see you at a POC!

Novel

gerrard86

Reaction score
cheers bud, like u said crack on and prepare as well as you can for aib.

POC

Sorry im not going into much detail about the none assessment parts, will just say that u get on with all the other lads really well, its impossible not to bond when the physical on that 2nd day is so intense. Also goes without saying drink and eat loads wen u can.
Noveldex if u want a detailed account read mummbles 88 entry he covers it all really well.

RMFA

Bleep test: u know wats coming...dont stop til u drop
Press ups: 2 mins at *text deleted* own pace push them out for the whole 2 mins
Sit-ups: same again
Pull ups: to the commands. I slipped off the bar at 5, *text deleted* so sweaty u will do well not to slip. To give u an idea i could do 3x10 wen training on the exact same bar.

I would add that *text deleted* a mess after the bleep test so u wont do as well as in practice, dont let it bother u and never worry about *text deleted* score!

I think u could pass an rmfa with level 12 on the bleep, 70 sit-ups, 45 press-ups and 6 pull ups, not that i would advise people to scrape through, im just letting people know that u dont have to be Mr. Fitness, though remember some people there are.

Interveiw and essay
Simple u should know wat q's they will ask, essay common sense. Advice is to prepare on naval and RM knowledge and current affairs.

2nd DAY

Right this is the day in which u pass or fail POC, good scores on rmfa mean nothing if *text deleted* not prepared to keep going, just remember it will end...

Bottom Field
Doesnt matter how fit u are it will hurt!
Warm up is painful and a real 'extra phys'
Assault course listen to the instructions and run hard.
Command tasks speak lound and clear.
After the command tasks there is a period of some serious 'extra phys' its a bit of blur because i was a mess but just chin up and keep going.
Firemans carry, in my opinion the hardest part the 200m feels like it wont end but it does :) just dig deep and get there within the time.

Throughout the bottom field dont think about *text deleted* performance just complete all the phys and also dont let wat the course staff say to u get u down, they will have a go at anyone for any reason, they just want to see how u react.

Lecture
Prepare 3 mins on yourself, simple get it out the way.

Endurance course

Warm up before hand is pretty tough just get it out the way.

Remember before u start the run everyone is hurting right now and its just 6 miles between you and AIB.
The run is up and down, the tunnels are really painful on *text deleted* knees and u spend alot of time in the mud. The pace is steady and constant for the whole 6 miles (again u dont have to be ultra-fit), keep up and get a plod on. From my memory the tunnel and mud section where u do alot of crawling lasts for wat seems like forever, get through that and *text deleted* halfway there.
Hare and hounds, sprint it and give it everything, its over quickly just keep running hard and try and be towards the front.
3 mile squad run is on the road and is either relatively flat or downhill, this is where people started to drop off. Its 20 mins and u will find the pace picks up, just stick with it and dont ever stop just keep *text deleted* legs moving and u will see the 500m sign.

Discussion
Simple, make contributions and stay alert, current affairs and common sense.

From my experience of POC as long as u dont do anything shocking on the none physical aspects eg. essay, interveiw. Then if u finish the endurance run within the time limit u will pass.

Remember POC is just about meeting a standard and gaining a stepping stone to AIB which is another set of completely different experiences and challenges.

Good luck to all and NOVEL when is *text deleted* POC?
I have to organise myself another, still not sure if its better to be blissfully unaware or to know wat is coming...

noveldex

Reaction score
I agree with you with regards to knowing or not knowing and which is the best one... At least having done it before you can prepare in your own way. For example I have been doing some crawling training. I have also been doing some training with logs: the log rolling both leopard crawling and with *text deleted* feet was a real bugger for me! My POC is in the end of November mate. I did a POV in july which was amazing. It was also quite a test because it was a mock POC and none of us realised this! So it entailed quite what you are saying about just getting your head down and going for it. If I am honest I found the mileage back to lympstone the easier part because, like you so well explained, I got my plod on!

Are you going to rebook your POC then mate?!

Novel

gerrard86

Reaction score
POV!? never heard of that, sounds like great experience though before the real thing and should also come across well at AIB...

yep! not sure wen i want to do it, maybe around feb or march because that gives me 4-5 months to really step up my training again. That is true it is an advantage in terms of doing specific training for the 2nd day but again no matter what u do I think it will be very hard as always.

Best of luck in novemeber, it sounds like u know wat your doing so be confident and give it everything. All the best