Reserves or Full Time?

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by storms101, May 19, 2017.

1. storms101

storms101 New Member

Hi,
    Would like your guys advice, I am 18 and I'm am currently about to start recruit training as a reservist, as joining the marines is something I've always wanted to do. I currently am currently in an office job(apprenticeship). These are the questions I have:

I would like to go full time but do not know if it is best to leave my apprenticeship to join?

I would like to complete a degree in the marines, is this possible?

What is day to day life in the marines like once RT finishes?

Would I be put up in accommodation if based away from home? And will I need to pay for it?

What are the working hours of a marine?

Sorry for the many questions and if anyone can offer their opinions and any information that they have then it would be great!

2. robbo2270

robbo2270 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Happy to be told I'm completely wrong but ill try answer these for you:

1. Believe it wouldn't be wise to leave your apprenticeship until you have a confirmed PRMC or maybe even RT start date.
    2. Yeah I believe so.
    3. Use the search bar on the forum and it should throw up some decent answers from lads serving in the Corps.
    4. Yes and yes.
    5. Believe its 8-4 (ish) with an early finish Friday and 3/4 weekends in a month off.

As I've said, more than happy to be corrected and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

If you want to go full time, why join RMR? Why not just go straight for it? Otherwise you will have to do training again, even if you pass the Commando course with RMR.
    Don't leave anything until you have confirmed dates to start RT.

It's up to you, what do you want from life? A career in the Royal Marines, or a career as a times served tradesmen?
    I know several lads who left the corps and took an apprenticeship.

It is possible to do an open degree, there's a plethora of learning facilities and funding available for further education. Degree based and trade based.

There's a few threads already about day to day life. In short, you wake up, you go to lines for 0830 for a role call and daily jobs, a stand easy for a wet and a chocolate biscuit at about 10. Then more training, or lectures, then lunch, then afternoon training or jobs, an afternoon tea, then sports or continuation of jobs. There's usually some circuit or phys based stuff there too.

You will have a grot(room) on camp, you will pay a small fee for it but it comes out of your wages, you can become an outlier if you live close enough and don't have to pay. You get a couple of lockers instead.

Working hours depend on the unit, your daily jobs, your chain of command, and where you are in the world.
    On operations there's no set hours, on exercise there's no set hours.
    But on camp, it's usually 0830-1600/1700 and Wednesday is early finish for sports. Weekends aren't a given, but you usually get most weekends off. Unless you have been a bad boy and have to polish something.

In my honest opinion? Young lads should bin off RMR and go fulltime. Make the most of a good career and set you up for life. RMR is for older blokes who have families or demanding/tying jobs. Forget the "best of both worlds" line.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  4. wellmemedmyboy

wellmemedmyboy Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Why not go reserve in another branch while doing your apprenticeship?

5. ry07

ry07 Member

Helped me clear up a few thoughts of my own with that post mate although aimed at the other lad. Thanks mate. :)

• Like Like x 1