Residency waiver required?! (Ninja)

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Right,

So I have just received an e-mail requesting details on living abroad (even though its always been due to my fathers position in the military, apparently that no longer counts).

Portsmouth have contacted my CA asking for dates and addresses etc as they will be applying for a residency waiver for myself.

Main question, will this distrupt my upcoming PRMC or will it be a case of no RT until verified and checked?

Cheers

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Residency waivers are usually required for UK citizens, over age 18, resident outside of UK for periods of over 6 months in the preceding 5 years. Waivers are usually relatively straightforward if living in a European, NATO or Commonwealth country. Oddly Ireland is the exception to the rule and can take yonks.

When under 18, living overseas with your parents, because of your parents government occupation, there isn't usually a problem.

The only thing it may delay (slightly) is gaining security clearance for entry into recruit training - in the majority of cases an SC waiver can be granted once basic checks are completed and you can start RT. SC is not required before RT, so there should be no other delays.

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
3 years on an RAF base in Cyprus from the ages of 15-18 in 2008-2011.
Shouldn't be much of an issue in an SBA.

Just didn't want any commupence on my PRMC in 4 weeks.

Thanks

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
3 years on an RAF base in Cyprus from the ages of 15-18 in 2008-2011.
Shouldn't be much of an issue in an SBA.

Just didn't want any commupence on my PRMC in 4 weeks.

Thanks
Shouldn't be an issue.

Having a relative in the RAF could be a bit embarrassing, admittedly, but it won't stop you gaining SC.

Jcdoran

Reaction score
Join from the states

Hey guys

*text deleted** looking for some advice. I currently live in Florida been here most of my life I was born in London. I am a british citizen, with an American resident card. None of my close family lives in the uk anymore,I'm turning 26 at the end of this month so I can't join as an officer. Which sucks. I can easily pass the physical test I do a 82 push-ups in 2 mins about 80 sit ups and about 15 pull ups. I was wondering how long is application process from the states and would I have to work out my own accommodations through the application process.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hey guys

*text deleted** looking for some advice. I currently live in Florida been here most of my life I was born in London. I am a british citizen, with an American resident card. None of my close family lives in the uk anymore,I'm turning 26 at the end of this month so I can't join as an officer. Which sucks. I can easily pass the physical test I do a 82 push-ups in 2 mins about 80 sit ups and about 15 pull ups. I was wondering how long is application process from the states and would I have to work out my own accommodations through the application process.
Welcome. It's worth contacting the overseas desk at London AFCO to confirm eligibility with regard residency: NAVYCNR-RFFGLSEOVERSEAS@MOD.GOV.UK

Accommodation is provided during the actual PRMC and once you enter training. Travel to UK & accommodation at any other time is at the individual's expense.

Good luck.

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Residency waivers are usually required for UK citizens, over age 18, resident outside of UK for periods of over 6 months in the preceding 5 years. Waivers are usually relatively straightforward if living in a European, NATO or Commonwealth country. Oddly Ireland is the exception to the rule and can take yonks.
Bumping this thread so as not to create a new one on same subject.

Reference the bold text - I submitted my residency waiver this week having lived for more than 6 months in both Hong Kong and the UAE (which don't fit the bold description). Visas were tied to employment which I believe helps and I got Character and Employment references for everywhere (due to lack of police checks my employers verified that they're aware of no police issues and I wrote a self-declaration). A serving RM mate also pulled a blinder and sent a Character Reference so definitely owe him some drinks for that.

Is there a rough timeframe I should expect this to take? I'm led to believe that the waiver is decided by someone within RN/RM HQ at Portsmouth but may be wrong.

Many thanks in advance

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Bumping this thread so as not to create a new one on same subject.

Reference the bold text - I submitted my residency waiver this week having lived for more than 6 months in both Hong Kong and the UAE (which don't fit the bold description). Visas were tied to employment which I believe helps and I got Character and Employment references for everywhere (due to lack of police checks my employers verified that they're aware of no police issues and I wrote a self-declaration). A serving RM mate also pulled a blinder and sent a Character Reference so definitely owe him some drinks for that.

Is there a rough timeframe I should expect this to take? I'm led to believe that the waiver is decided by someone within RN/RM HQ at Portsmouth but may be wrong.

Many thanks in advance
If working directly as a UK government employee overseas or for an overseas arm of a UK business there's seldom an issue gaining a residency waiver however, if not and the country of residence does not have a reciprocal agreement between government security services (unlikely with HK & UAE) a residency waiver is less likely to be granted on risk.

That said, nothing surprises me with security clearance as they seem to be turning them around pretty swiftly at present for UK citizens resident in UK so either there are fewer people requiring SC during the Covid 19 lockdown or they are accepting greater risks because of it.

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If working directly as a UK government employee overseas or for an overseas arm of a UK business there's seldom an issue gaining a residency waiver however, if not and the country of residence does not have a reciprocal agreement between government security services (unlikely with HK & UAE) a residency waiver is less likely to be granted on risk.

That said, nothing surprises me with security clearance as they seem to be turning them around pretty swiftly at present for UK citizens resident in UK so either there are fewer people requiring SC during the Covid 19 lockdown or they are accepting greater risks because of it.
Great stuff, thank you.

I'll keep fingers crossed then - they were British-owned companies but not actually British companies if that makes sense, so we shall see.

If declined is there any possibility of appeal or will it be off to the FFL for me? o_O

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If declined is there any possibility of appeal or will it be off to the FFL for me? o_O
I doubt a residency waiver would be declined for a UK passport holder however entry could be deferred until all necessary checks have been fully completed and full SC gained.

For those joining for the first time, and resident in UK for the 5 years prior to entry, a SC waiver can be considered after the basic police/finance checks are completed, to enable entry pending completion of the full checks. For those granted a residency waiver, an SC waiver is unlikely.

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I doubt a residency waiver would be declined for a UK passport holder however entry could be deferred until all necessary checks have been fully completed and full SC gained.

For those joining for the first time, and resident in UK for the 5 years prior to entry, a SC waiver can be considered after the basic police/finance checks are completed, to enable entry pending completion of the full checks. For those granted a residency waiver, an SC waiver is unlikely.
Ah understood, thank you. Should hopefully be no drama then being a UK citizen in the UK, also an untrained rejoin if that may have any influence in any direction.

Many thanks again for your help.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Ah understood, thank you. Should hopefully be no drama then being a UK citizen in the UK, also an untrained rejoin if that may have any influence in any direction.

Many thanks again for your help.
As a rejoin, full SC is required before an entry date can be requested, an SC waiver is not possible. That said the Covid situation may influence the decision.