Returning from leave - Thinking of wrapping? Don't!

Chelonian

Reaction score
Also doesn’t anybody know the actual location for 40,42&45 quarters trying to look at the housing types/condition but can’t find any info TIA
The 'married patches' are likely to be within a reasonable daily commuting distance of the respective units.

ALDL9RM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
So there’s not a specific area it’s just somewhere nearby the base/barracks
I’m basing this off Army quarters and not RM quarters but from my experience they are well within walking distance of camp, but like I say that’s Army

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Are the lads back in next week?
If so as always, stick with it and work hard each week for the next leave period. Helped thinking you'll be 14/15 weeks further on by time the next leave period comes about. Keep chipping away!

Keep the phys up and enjoy the remainder of your leave!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
For those currently on leave due to return to CTC over the coming week, a few things to bear in mind.

Firstly, everyone feels the same when returning to work - there'll be quite a few civilians returning off furlough in the next couple of months who will struggle returning to work, particularly after being paid to do nothing for several months.

Secondly, if you've decided you are going to wrap, that's your prerogative, but DON'T exploit, manipulate or drag others with you to try to affirm to yourself that it's the right thing to do. Those who are coerced into wrapping by partners or friends will be neither a partner or a friend if they subsequently regret leaving and attribute that decision as being instigated and encouraged by you.

Be aware those that do wrap and then decide they want to return should not expect to be welcomed with open arms. Quite the reverse. Recruiting figures are on the increase and priority is toward first time joiners rather than those who have a track record of indecision. As with any job, any employee that gets trained, costs. About £100K on average for an RM OR. Once you quit, that money is lost and you are regarded as being a training risk...not an asset, as some seem to think.

Finally, stop listening to crap on the Nodvine if you pick-up a training injury. DON'T opt out when carrying an injury, let the service undertake their duty of care. For some bizarre reason there's a weird belief that if you opt out rather than be medically discharged, it increases your chances of re-entry. It is completely incorrect to believe this and you are ripping yourself off by believing anything to the contrary.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Spot on from Ninja. Remember why you joined lads. Look at how the Corps is changing. New rig, new kit, new weapons. You may not think it right now but there are some quality opportunities coming up in the Corps at the minute. Dont give it all up for a temporary emotional blip.

As Maj Paul Mattin said on COTFL "Look past the end of your nose!"

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
For those recruits currently on leave... Another tip:

Don't draw solace from other members of your troop that tell you they've done next to no phys whilst on leave.

Get off your backside and go for a run tomorrow and recommence your phys routine over the coming week. Don't make it difficult for yourself.

If you do nothing, you will make it psychologically easier to quit.

Rest assured, if you wrap upon return to CTC, you'll be kicking yourself for a year or more - even if you don't want to admit it to yourself.

ERFC

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
No one enjoys going back after leave everyone will be in the same boat. For me - if I wasn’t in a routine by the last week of leave then I’d make sure I started one. Get up early go for a run, come back eat some scran and crack on with the day. This made it so much easier to bear once I was back at CTCRM.

It’s been said many times but I promise it’s something that helped me so will definitely help you lot.

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Spot on from Ninja. Remember why you joined lads. Look at how the Corps is changing. New rig, new kit, new weapons. You may not think it right now but there are some quality opportunities coming up in the Corps at the minute. Dont give it all up for a temporary emotional blip.

As Maj Paul Mattin said on COTFL "Look past the end of your nose!"
Yeah lads look at the new kit you lot are getting!
Not us :(

Former AE

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Speaking to a rejoiner at the weekend, he wished he never pulled the plug and cracked on, a nasty case of Lympstone Blues got him and he wrapped, hopefully after my chat he will get his phys up and go for it. Now have 4 former cadets in the syllabus with another 2 wanting to join in the next 12 months, Ninja can I get money for this ?;)

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Speaking to a rejoiner at the weekend, he wished he never pulled the plug and cracked on, a nasty case of Lympstone Blues got him and he wrapped, hopefully after my chat he will get his phys up and go for it. Now have 4 former cadets in the syllabus with another 2 wanting to join in the next 12 months, Ninja can I get money for this ?;)
There was something running quite recently where if you recruited someone by getting them to text a number and they got to a certain stage in training the Corps gave you some money? Or I am imagining this?!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
There was something running quite recently where if you recruited someone by getting them to text a number and they got to a certain stage in training the Corps gave you some money? Or I am imagining this?!
True, there was a bounty of around £1000 (pre-tax) for those serving trained ranks who encouraged, influenced and helped prepare those joining as recruits...after they reached exercise Hunters Moon.

Sadly it is no more... I think, but I'm no longer a recruiter.

Perhaps @CHUB! or @The guide can confirm either way.

RCTJ0012

Reaction score
I haven't been on the forums for a while but I figured I'd put my 2c in... I left at week 12 last year, it was a short sighted decision and I didn't really fully understand why I left at the time, I suppose I wanted the "easy civilian life". Spoiler: I don't.

2 months after I left, all I could think about was how much of an idiot I was for leaving something I worked so hard to get to and I realised how badly I actually wanted to become a Royal Marine. I am currently rejoining and have a phone interview in a couple of weeks, I hope to be back in training by the end of the year.

If anyone is thinking of leaving, don't. Being in training you're so much closer to becoming a Royal Marine than you think, it may seem like 32 (34 now) weeks is a long time but I bet a lot of lads, including myself spent more than 1.5 years training just to get a PRMC pass. Just stick with it and take it day by day and you'll eventually get that illustrious green beret.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It would be interesting to hear from those who have quit this year and are already regretting their decision.