Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Returning to running after shin splints

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Griff149, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Griff149

Griff149 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Hi gents,

Just thought I’d seek some advice.

I’ve suffered from a bit of a nasty spell of shin splints. On the most part now it’s a huge amount better and I’m slowly starting to return to running.

Today I did a 3 miler (stopping every few mins to stretch) and I have a little bit of sensitivity / pain when I prod around in the effected area, but nothing dramatic. I’ve been trying to get stuck in with foam rolling and a lacrosse ball to get rid of any scar tissue as I know this can cause some pain. On the most part my run today was pain free but at no point did the pain in the one sensitive spot go over a 2/10.

Just curious as to what other people who’ve suffered have done. This has been going on a few months and I know sometimes pain can be associated with muscle weakness as opposed to injury. Just very difficult to know the right course of action!

Cheers lads.

2. anon1234

anon1234 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Only had a 2 week spell of it, and it quickly went.
    -Only do a little bit of foam rolling and stretching, too much can actually create tissue damage!
    -Be really careful with you increases in running volume, log it down in a notebook/on your phone, only make very small increases so you can adapt to the stress.
    -If you feel pain, then stop, use that as a signal to rest. Come back to it another day.
    -Stay at a certain volume of running (e.g 8k/week) until it's 100% fine to progress then go to e.g 8.5 or 9k/week. Gradual progression, you don't want it returning .
    -Keep up your CV through swimming/cycling/circuits as a temporary substitute while you build up the runs.

All the best

• Like Like x 1
  3. dudley21

dudley21 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Had a really nasty case of shin splints about 6 months ago and something which really helped was a massage gun. Does a similar job to a foam roller but allows you to really get in the required area.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dudley21

dudley21 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I would also avoid running on road or concrete for a bit as I find running on those too much is what caused mine in the first place

5. JWR94

JWR94 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I'm certainly not an expert but this worked for me when getting over running injuries in the past:

Start by breaking down runs in to x4 run/walk splits based on the duration of time you can run without experiencing any pain. You may be able to run for 10 mins + without pain, or it may be as little as 4/5mins mins before the pain sets in, so an example for that would be to start with split of Walk: 3min - Run: 1min.
    If you can run for 10mins then do Walk: 3mins -Run 2.5mins etc.

Do this 2/3 times a week, then add 10% onto the running parts each week (keep 3mins walking time the same).

I found that these run/walk splits have been really helpful in getting back into running following an injury. It's initially really slow at first and the temptation is there to just crack on and run for longer but stick with it.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020