Rhodiola - Increases physical and mental performance, reduces fatigue

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Any one ever heard of Rhodiola? I found some in my medicine cabinet today and apparently they help improve mental and physical performance, reduce fatigue as well as improve mood and many other uses. Apparently is and was used by the Russian Army.

It is herbal and entirely safe, lot like other stimulants such as nicotine or caffeine. Though they stink a bit I will take one tablet with every meal and see what happens....

Rhodiola rosea is effective for improving mood and alleviating depression. Russian research shows that it improves both physical and mental performance, reduces fatigue, and prevents high-altitude sickness. In one study, the Rhodiola rosea group decreased proofreading errors by 88% while the control group increased proofreading errors by 84%. Rhodiola rosea's effects are attributed to its ability to optimise serotonin and dopamine levels, due to monoamine oxidase inhibition and to its influence on opioid peptides such as beta-endorphins.[citation needed]

Substances like these are referred to as adaptogens. They differ from stimulants, and do not have the same health consequences as nicotine, etc.

In Russia, Rhodiola rosea, also known as golden root, has been used for centuries to cope with the cold Siberian climate and stressful life. It has also been used for centuries in Scandinavia, both by the Vikings and the Sámi. Note that Rhodiola is sometimes inappropriately referred to as "Arctic Root", which is a trademark product name held by the Swedish Herbal Institute for an extract SHR-5 which contains unique Rhodiola rosea extracts tested in human clinical trials. Publication of a double-blind, placebo controlled clinical trial shows a significant effect for SHR-5 Rhodiola extract in cases of mild-to-moderate depression.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
No one got anything to say? I just took one and proceeded to do 8000 press ups in 2 minutes!

I'll post back to see if it really works.

S

Sotiris

I dunno man...I'm very much the organic, free range chicken kind of guy. No alcohol, tea, coffee, chocolate.

I like to think that if you can train your bollox off and adapt to life with no external stimulants you're more likely to cope better when the RM's take everything away from you.

But then that's just me...I don't believe in medication or stimulants. Others of course will differ. But in answer to your post, I'd say leave them. You can do it without them.

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
No one got anything to say? I just took one and proceeded to do 8000 press ups in 2 minutes!

I'll post back to see if it really works.
Come again 8000 WHAT, that sounds like some good shizzle.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I kind of agree with you there. But I recently had a stomach virus and have not left the house for an entire week and with lots of vomiting I have lost a lost of weight, so I really want to get my self back up to my old levels and then come off it again as it has sapped my strength.

Did myself a 4 mile run and was incredibly screwed after it, never felt so bad. But if its entirely herbal and not excessively taken it should be okay.

S

Sotiris

Hehe I see. Well it's all circumstantial to a point I guess.

If you're disciplined enough to moderate it like that then you should have no problems.

Get well soon!