RM and Army Medicals

Firedrake

Reaction score
I have my medical next month and on paper I am fine. However I was browsing the site and I noticed you can fail for having slightly bent or overlapping toes, which unfortunately I do slightly have ( not in a way that has stopped me doing 16-20 mile runs). I know how strict capita are and as I am 32 I know that will write me off.
The question is... am I better off withdrawing my application and applying for the army while I still can as I have heard the army is considerably more relaxed about this issue as capita don't do the medical . Also would a pmu Navy/RM/capital bar me from applying to the army?

Chelonian

Reaction score
However I was browsing the site and I noticed you can fail for having slightly bent or overlapping toes, which unfortunately I do slightly have ( not in a way that has stopped me doing 16-20 mile runs). I know how strict capita are and as I am 32 I know that will write me off.

Others more qualified than I am will give you the details of medical standards for Royal Marines and hopefully an overview of options. @CHUB! and @Secret_Squirrel are best placed to do this.

Just one observation from me: be wary of failing yourself (literally) by withdrawing an application because of the self-diagnosis of a clinical condition.
Best of luck.

CHUB!

Careers Adviser
Reaction score
Overlapping toes are a bar to entry but everything is taken on an individual basis. I know one candidate spent 6 months wearing something that made his toe not touch. It took 6 months to do. There are also various other ways. As @Chelonian says let the professionals make the decision. Over 80% of medical appeals are successful. :)

Firedrake

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. Would a failed RM medical effect an Army application though?

CHUB!

Careers Adviser
Reaction score
No, 2 different paths. They do use the same rules but often interpret them differently. Medical information is confidential and can only be disclosed by you or between medical professionals.

Firedrake

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. It's just nice to know it may not be the end of the road if I fail my RM medical.

aiker123

Reaction score
If its not on your medical records and doesn't affect you at all then I wouldn't bother mentioning it. You'll only unnecessarily see yourself off

that guy 27

Reaction score
So I'm just going to lower the standards of this thread by posting a picture of my toes haha.

My second toe on both feet are bent. I've never had any issues with pain, running etc but would this fail the medical

Attachments

• 20180619_122935.jpg
    20180619_122935.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 40

Chelonian

Reaction score
So I'm just going to lower the standards of this thread by posting a picture of my toes haha.

You could have at least made an effort and painted your toe nails.

But seriously, I'm not qualified to comment on medical standards but I'll wager that functionality is a more important factor than aesthetics.

CHUB!

Careers Adviser
Reaction score
Even though your toe is 'minging' there seems to be no callouses as a result. It is considered to be a mallet toe. As long that this is just a freak of nature and not a result of trauma or you have never been prescribed orthotic insoles you should be hunky dory at medical. If for some reason you are made PMU please appeal as this advice has come direct from the Medical Cell. My personal advice is don't wear flip flops as chicks will not 'dig it'.
Hope this helps?:)

that guy 27

Reaction score
ive always been told that its my best feature. Now I think that's a reflection on my ugly face and not that they find my manky toes a turn on :(.

All good just a freak of nature, not caused by any trauma etc. id prefer webbed feet *text deleted* as that would help with the swimming . .

Hello6981

Reaction score
Hi mate I've got a similar situation to what your in, did you manage to get in the marines or not

New Threads