RM Book - Negative publicity/good publicity?

cc1

(former RM)
Reaction score
Just seen my second book still on sale from between 0.01p and 0.14p. Must be worth a browse. hehe

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Always-Marine-Return-Civvy-Street/dp/184596005X/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

SP

I pity anyone that buys your book. You're a fantasist that lives in a cry *text deleted* fantasy about what you think the Corps is about. What's your P0? Who was on your training team? Where did you serve? What's your real name?

You write books based on the perception of the Marines that bemuses actual Marines, because it's *text deleted*. I suggest you take your *text deleted* elsewhere.

That you have the tag of RM Cdo here dumbfounds me...

Rover

Reaction score
I pity anyone that buys your book. You're a fantasist that lives in a cry *text deleted* fantasy about what you think the Corps is about. What's your P0? Who was on your training team? Where did you serve? What's your real name?

You write books based on the perception of the Marines that bemuses actual Marines, because it's *text deleted*. I suggest you take your *text deleted* elsewhere.

That you have the tag of RM Cdo here dumbfounds me...

I would point out that ‘Steven Preece’ is a former Royal Marine whose books have been discussed with mixed feelings on OAMAAM.

Some agreeing with his outlook of his service at that time. Others disagreeing, having the view ‘not in my time’!

We all have different views on events within the service. Only those present at the time I would say being qualified to comment on the events mentioned.

May I suggest that any further comments be taken to a separate/new thread!

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/interview-former-royal-marine-alan-4430312

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
I would point out that ‘Steven Preece’ is a former Royal Marine whose books have been discussed with mixed feelings on OAMAAM

We all have different views on events within the service.

As the feedback from this forum shows!

Alan

Chelonian

Reaction score
Generally—not specific to the author mentioned—I question if it is possible to write any autobiographical book that is both a cracking good read and also utterly, objectively and entirely based on factual events.

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I dont get the point of this thread......I thought some of the stuff in the book rang fairly true when I joined as a sprog in a unit, there is a rang of lads in the Corp from phys ninjas, to lads that really are the neverland lost boys cracking one man run ashores almost nightly for years. Still some sprog routine but not seen any hardcore hazing/bullying, though some lads get a sad on doing anything they dont want to.... Lads still go to Thailand to fight...and dont like/trust the RMP...first 2 books were enjoyable which is really the point of reading a novel.

I doubt the books would negatively effect potential candidates wanting to join and after RT everyone has a comedown as they get to grips with the new pace.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I dont get the point of this thread......I thought some of the stuff in the book rang fairly true when I joined as a sprog in a unit, there is a rang of lads in the Corp from phys ninjas, to lads that really are the neverland lost boys cracking one man run ashores almost nightly for years. Still some sprog routine but not seen any hardcore hazing/bullying, though some lads get a sad on doing anything they dont want to.... Lads still go to Thailand to fight...and dont like/trust the RMP...first 2 books were enjoyable which is really the point of reading a novel.
Appreciated, it was split from the RM Books thread as it was digressing from the main thrust.

My response was I thought the same as @cc1 initially & if I'm honest, still think tales of bullying & initiation, real or imagined are toxic & damaging even if people find them entertaining.

I doubt the books would negatively effect potential candidates wanting to join
Certainly, back in the mists, when I joined, bullying in the Armed Forces was pretty much endemic & we frequently hear of parents voicing reservations, maybe as a result of these stories, be they fact (as stated by the author) or fiction.

Like you say, we see a cross-section of society within the Armed Forces, much as we do in civilian life. Equally it's important not to try and brush things under the carpet and just be honest & upfront.

cc1

(former RM)
Reaction score
Guys, I appreciate your opinions, but this seems to be the only forum where Mr Preece still receives a welcome without utter ridicule.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1529015992470.jpg
    FB_IMG_1529015992470.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 43

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Jesus, just got the first review in 8 years. *text deleted*

Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Read in one day
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 11 January 2021
Verified Purchase
Accidentally discovered this book. Downloaded sample and loved it. Bought the book and read in one day. Having friends who are/were in the Royal Marines it answers a few questions.

• Seen
Reactions: R

Latest posts

New Threads