RM Issue Boots

rmc_86

Reaction score
Hello guys, is there a particular make and model of boot that the armed forces use, the reason I am asking is I would like to get used to running/walking with them? I have searched ebay and several surplus stores but they all have different kinds and I was just hoping to find a pair that people would get on RT.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance guys!

rogue royal

Royal Marine Commando
Reaction score
you will get a pair of boots if you pass your prmc train in.

rogue royal

Royal Marine Commando
Reaction score
well this never was the case when i did my prmc back in 1992 but my brother passed his prmc and was given a pair of boots to wear in.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I'm sure we've covered this elsewhere, but if you pass PRMC you get issued your boots to break-in at the end of the course. (see guidance notes below)

The guidance for those wishing to join as Other Rank Royal Marines is that you are advised not to run in boots before attending PRMC as you need to gradually develop your fitness first (which you will do in Recruit Training after you have joined), so that you do not injure yourself. If you are absolutely insistent on buying boots (it REALLY isn't necessary), then just break them in by wearing them for walking everywhere first for several weeks, if you must go running in boots, then it is recommended you only run on grass or sand & only do a few short runs in them.

Those attending POC can buy their own boots & have them fully broken in before attending POC, but will still be issued boots when they join for Officer training.

The POC guidance notes are as follows for Officers, but the same applies for Other Ranks with regard breaking in your boots AFTER they've been given to you on PRMC:

Officer's FAQ

Do I need to buy a pair of boots? You do not have to, but it's recommended that you do. Go to an Army/Navy store and get a pair of black combat high boots. Failing that, any boot with a decent (2cm) heel block and good ankle support will suffice. If you turn up without a pair, you will be issued some, but then your feet will not be used to them and this might impair you performance. Buy a pair, walk in them for weeks to break them in, apply liberal amounts of polish (do not brush the polish off though) to soften the leather, especially when they are drying. Then in the last few weeks prior to going down on POC, go for a few runs in them to familiarise yourself with the feeling. Be careful not to run too much in boots because people injure themselves by doing so. It's also recommended that you get them wet when you are running, again for familiarisation. You might also go for a run in wet trousers and wear a heavy rugby shirt instead of a T-shirt. All other kit is issued.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Why would you choose to run in boots!?

Stupid thing to do, you will allmost certainly injur your self and it has no benefit in preparing for PRMC.

So just get a god pair of trainers, not Nike suspension *text deleted**text deleted*e, or Reebok "hair gel" things. Proper running shoes which compliment the way you run.

But any one who is serious about PRMC will NOT buy boots and run in them.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I only use boots in the woods, when I run on the beach (sand and rocks), or on the cliff top because of the extremely uneven ground to which the boot supports my ankles (and because boots are easier to clean when you've got 5kg of mud, sand and doggy doo doo clinging to them!).

It's not a stupid idea it just takes an already broken in pair of boots and a pair of conditioned ankles and shins. I've been hiking in boots for several years and so I belive any injury to occur would have happened by now and I run once a week in boots.

P.S. I'm serious about PRMC ;)

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
I only use boots in the woods, when I run on the beach (sand and rocks), or on the cliff top because of the extremely uneven ground to which the boot supports my ankles (and because boots are easier to clean when you've got 5kg of mud, sand and doggy doo doo clinging to them!).

P.S. I'm serious about PRMC ;)

On your head be it

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
What's your problem? I've been running for 4 months in boots, in RT you run in boots (eventually but you do run in them), in war you run in boots. Like I say, all it takes is conditioning! The only major problem it can cause is shin splints because the lack of cushioning compared to a running shoe. Without failing to mention you can get shin splints from walking too.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
What's your problem? I've been running for 4 months in boots, in RT you run in boots (eventually but you do run in them), in war you run in boots. Like I say, all it takes is conditioning! The only major problem it can cause is shin splints because the lack of cushioning compared to a running shoe. Without failing to mention you can get shin splints from walking too.

My problem, your talking *text deleted**text deleted*. Its irritating

*text deleted* been to PRMC.....the one thing that was echoed time and time again. Was DO NOT WEAR YOUR BOOTS TO RUN IN!

If you think your a cut above that then be my guest, but trust me. Corp Ledger will kick your arse all over Lympstone and then the rest of the training team.

And if Ledger tells you not to do something, and you do......then man your braver than me.

Its advice lad, if you dont want to take it then your a fool, and a liability. And a liability gets people killed.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Firstly your problem is you don't think logically. You've been to PRMC and failed you didn't even stick it out to the end! Well done and good luck failing next time!

Secondly they tell you not to run in the boots they issue you.

Thirdly, don't you ever *text deleted**text deleted*ing tell me what to do and what not to do.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Firstly your problem is you don't think logically. You've been to PRMC and failed you didn't even stick it out to the end! Well done and good luck failing next time!

Thirdly, don't you ever *text deleted**text deleted*ing tell me what to do and what not to do.

Little boy,

Yeah i failed but i got the bollocks to admit it. And stick my chin up high and have another go. What you dont realise matey, im a man....i have to provide for some one, the prospect of me not having another job is a important one. You on the other hand. can go back home to mommy and suckle, i have people who depend on me. So me going home early wasnt a light decision.

And if you cant take criticism Ashley, the Royal Marines isnt for you. Your going to be told what to do, and when to do it.

So young man, shun before you make yourself look silly.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score

O dear *text deleted*, the way I see things stacka was giving you firm advice, I see your above reply as a pretty *text deleted**text deleted*ing below the belt, childish and completly dickheadish thing to do.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
O dear *text deleted*, the way I say things stacka was giving you firm advice, I see this as a pretty *text deleted**text deleted*ing below the belt, childish and completly dickheadish thing to do.

Hey flecth mate, dont stress.

Lets not argue about it.

But yeah please dont run in boots much as it may seem tmepting, i have to admit i was tempted. But its just not worth the hassle.

There is a long winded medical/physical reason behind it, but god id sound sad blurting it out here

Good luck with your training chap

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
Id agree with you stacka. running in boots regularly and for heavy periods of time wont do you much good in the long run. I was advise to take a short run once a week just to make sure they didnt rub when i got to my POC. I agree that you have to make sure the boots are well worn in but that doesnt mean you must run in them. Bearing in mind you spend much of your time in the gym to begin with, you will have time to wear them in.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
.... running in boots regularly and for heavy periods of time wont do you much good in the long run. I was advise to take a short run once a week just to make sure they didn't rub when i got to my POC. I agree that you have to make sure the boots are well worn in but that doesn't mean you must run in them. Bearing in mind you spend much of your time in the gym to begin with, you will have time to wear them in.

I think that is most definitely the key here: If you don't need to run in boots, then don't. Either way, your boots must be well broken in & even those attending POC are advised only to do a few short runs to check they don't chafe as the issue is injury.

Another top tip is when you do get issued your boots after successfully completing PRMC, is if you intend wearing insoles-take them with you to ensure you get a good fitting boot - I've lost count of the amount of times someone has found out their boots are too small for thick socks or insoles because they didn't try them on with them when they were issued.

With regard strong personal opinions either way, the thing to simply do is follow what you know is right by what the training staff at Lympstone advise you. Don't expect everyone to agree with your point of view guys, it doesn't mean anyone is wrong, it's just they may have a different take on it than you may have.

alphamale

Reaction score
NINJA when selecting the size you want after PRMC pass, would u suggest getting a size or half size bigger than what you normally are? as i have been reading this is advisalbe due to peoples feet SWELLING during the Recruit training?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
NINJA when selecting the size you want after PRMC pass, would u suggest getting a size or half size bigger than what you normally are? as i have been reading this is advisalbe due to peoples feet SWELLING during the Recruit training?

It's a bit of a difficult call to advise specifically as some people may find their feet swollen, others may not. If you know your feet are swollen then a snug fit is probably advised as you want the boots to support your ankles etc when the swelling reduces.

I'd be inclined to ask the advice of the training staff on that one (apologies for the cop-out!) The interesting thing is that I've had loads of successful candidates complain that their boots are too small when they try them on at home, but none have said they're too big.

alphamale

Reaction score
It's a bit of a difficult call to advise specifically as some people may find their feet swollen, others may not. If you know your feet are swollen then a snug fit is probably advised as you want the boots to support your ankles etc when the swelling reduces.

I'd be inclined to ask the advice of the training staff on that one (apologies for the cop-out!) The interesting thing is that I've had loads of successful candidates complain that their boots are too small when they try them on at home, but none have said they're too big.

whats the reason for this ninja? type of socks worn at PRMC? 2.5 days of training before selecting *text deleted* size?

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well I wouldn't imagine your feet would swell that much unless your not used to using your feet daily, the day you choose your boots you will have had a good 8ish hours rest too of which atleast 5 or 6 off your feet.

I'd say when you get to try the boots on wear a thick pair of socks anyway as this is probably what you'll wear with your boots during RT and if your feet do swell chances are they'll probably swell in RT too so atleast your boots will fit.

Ninja, do people complain their boots are too small because they go for their normal foot-size?