RM life

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m part way through the application process and until yesterday was buzzing at the prospect of starting RT ASAP.

However, yesterday I was reading a thread on here about whether the Corps really offers all the benefits that they are known for - people saying they are very unsatisfied due to being ‘pinged’ to a crap SQ (will SQ’s such as clerk even still exist given all the FCF changes announced in the defence review?).

I’ve also heard that some people get denied AT (which is a big thing for me) or even told they can’t take leave even when not away on deployment/exercise! A huge reason for me wanting to join is for travel/experiences that are hard to come by elsewhere, so I’m hoping there is still opportunity to do so in the corps.

Was wondering if ninja or any serving royals (or anyone else in the know) can shed some light on these?

Thanks in advance guys

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I can't talk for the pinging side of things since I'm in a role that provides a considerable amount of away time, but as for AT; I've been gradually getting lads away for AT as the schedule and interest permits. It goes through peaks and troughs, but the 1st Sea Lords directive is for AT to be provided

Reaction score
I can't talk for the pinging side of things since I'm in a role that provides a considerable amount of away time, but as for AT; I've been gradually getting lads away for AT as the schedule and interest permits. It goes through peaks and troughs, but the 1st Sea Lords directive is for AT to be provided
Fair enough pal thanks for the reply - good to hear about AT that it’s still encouraged. Did you choose your current role or did you get pinged, and did you get to spend much time at a fighting unit beforehand? I’ve always thought you spend 2 years as a GD rifleman before an SQ, but recently I’ve read that many people get much less time before being pinged which is pretty gutting to have spend 9 months in RT just to get sent to be a driver or similar shortly after pass out.

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You say “getting lads away”. Do you mind me asking what rank you are sir?
Is there a set time of the year for adventure training I.e summer or can you go anytime?

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I know plenty of lads who are toppers with skydiving and scuba diving quals from doing AT, the opportunity is definitely there.

With regards to being pinged for something less desirable, it isn't as common a thing as it used to be but I'll manage your expectations now and tell you that you will not always get your preference drafts, jobs and locations.

The system has changed now, when you pass out you either go straight to a Commando unit for 2 years or you'll go to a support role such as a driver at CLR, 30 or CHF for 2 years with a guaranteed 3 years at 40/42/43/45 after that.

I think the stuff you're reading about lads getting pinged is out of date info.

You're joining the military mate, you won't always get your way, if your main motivation for joining is to travel and do AT, go and join an airline as an air host or a pilot. Your main motivation for joining the corps should be to deploy on operations and do the dirty business that is soldiering.

Reaction score
Good to know, thanks for clearing that up. Feel like there’s lots of out of date info online regarding the Corps.
You're joining the military mate, you won't always get your way, if your main motivation for joining is to travel and do AT, go and join an airline as an air host or a pilot. Your main motivation for joining the corps should be to deploy on operations and do the dirty business that is soldiering.
Of course you’re right, I should’ve been more clear. I’d absolutely choose going on Ops over AT or any other perks of serving any day of the week, but am only thinking about if I didn’t get a chance given that the RM to my knowledge are not on any major combat ops currently.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Points to remember

40/45/42 all have fighting companies that need to be manned by lads. That's a hell of alot of lads who haven't been pinged. Dont be worried about tales from the minority. I know several lada who have got second drafts as GD in fighting companies.

Also, define Ops?

• There are companies overseas doing things that won't be publicised.
  • 42 are constantly siezing millions of pounds worth of drugs. They dont have blank rounds in their mags for that.
  • There are multiple small teams working in country with partner nations training and liasing with foreign Special Forces.
  • There are lads based at Poole on standby for any Maritime Counter Terrorist jobs.
  • Drafts at SFSG.
Just to name a few situations. But a few of these jobs would have been exclusive to SF 20 years ago. Suddenly we're getting access to it lads. The plans for the future are exciting. In my opinion lads will be deployed alot more than we have been in previous years. Of course we cant create Ops out of nowhere, but it will come and we're doing all we can to be ready for when it happens.

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The world is in a far worse place now than it was 10-20 years ago when the corps was fully immersed in large scale ops. The way in which future ops are conducted will definitely be different but make no mistake there will be some kinetic ones to come!

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
You say “getting lads away”. Do you mind me asking what rank you are sir?
Is there a set time of the year for adventure training I.e summer or can you go anytime?

You can ask away, as long as you never call me sir again.

I am a JNCO, so don't think it falls on the shoulders of SNCO's or orifices to jack up AT.

AT can be conducted at any time throughout the year, although you're unlikely to be skiing in June. Likewise, you won't get much skydiving done in December as the weather is gash.

Reaction score
AT can be conducted at any time throughout the year, although you're unlikely to be skiing in June. Likewise, you won't get much skydiving done in December as the weather is gash.
How does the process for AT actually work? Is there a set list of sports and locations or could I have a sport and location in mind, e.g snowboarding in France and be given permission & funding to go? Apologies if I’m looking at this in completely the wrong way.

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
So I've been in the corps nearly 10 years and only done AT twice (once in training, just mountainbiking so doesn't really count).

The other time was hoofing it was a dedicated 10 day package where lads were skydiving, white water rafting, scuba diving and all sorts, all in the UAE.

Truth is you're too busy a lot of the time to even consider AT and when the rare white space comes around where the scope is there to jack up AT most lads decide to use that white space to take any extra leave, spend time with their families, go on a lads holiday or just put their feet up and chill out for a bit.

That's just my experience relating to AT anyway, I haven't been in brigade for the past 5-6 years so perhaps the culture has changed a bit.

Just regarding funding, for the guccier types of AT you usually have to dip into your own pocket a bit.

Vine

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
How does the process for AT actually work? Is there a set list of sports and locations or could I have a sport and location in mind, e.g snowboarding in France and be given permission & funding to go? Apologies if I’m looking at this in completely the wrong way.
If it’s a easier life with AT, sports and travel your after mate the army offers loads if your any decent level in almost any sport you’ll end up a tracksuit solider. I’m still a massive sprog as far as it goes (army) and I’ve seen lads away skiing (that one where you do the shooting as part of it as well) I turned it down won’t lie I was kinda jealous after I seen it, climbing in Italy, various white water stuff, rugby lads off too Japan (before COVID)etc etc even done a few bits myself. If it’s to be a “fighting solider” that does the sharp end things your after go marines top end soliders who I’ve yet to even hear a suggestion that there not top of the tree on what they do. As you get older what you want changes if at 20 the mere suggestion of me going anywhere other than marines in the military I would have rejected the idea straight away. Now at *cough cough* over 30 it’s a far more viable option, got myself a good trade that transfers to civvy street got into sports that gets you days off work to play and some decent opportunities on the horizon regards deployments horses for courses really depending on what you want.

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If it’s a easier life with AT, sports and travel your after mate the army offers loads if your any decent level in almost any sport you’ll end up a tracksuit solider. I’m still a massive sprog as far as it goes (army) and I’ve seen lads away skiing (that one where you do the shooting as part of it as well) I turned it down won’t lie I was kinda jealous after I seen it, climbing in Italy, various white water stuff, rugby lads off too Japan (before COVID)etc etc even done a few bits myself. If it’s to be a “fighting solider” that does the sharp end things your after go marines top end soliders who I’ve yet to even hear a suggestion that there not top of the tree on what they do. As you get older what you want changes if at 20 the mere suggestion of me going anywhere other than marines in the military I would have rejected the idea straight away. Now at *cough cough* over 30 it’s a far more viable option, got myself a good trade that transfers to civvy street got into sports that gets you days off work to play and some decent opportunities on the horizon regards deployments horses for courses really depending on what you want.
Hi mate what do you do in the army? Are you in the infantry?

Reaction score
Appreciate the advice - I did look into the army originally but the idea of the marines just seems much more appealing. I think I didn’t phrase my original post quite right, my main interest is going on ops, which is hopefully more likely now due to the FCF. I only ask about AT and travel in case there was never an opportunity to deploy while I served, or if I got pinged to a shitty SQ! I’d still want to be able to take something away from my time in the Corps.

Vine

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hi mate what do you do in the army? Are you in the infantry
I’m in the engineers was late 20’s when I joined so was more concerned about a decent trade and some quals for civvy street. As it stands I’m looking at the job long term assuming I do ok on the promotion front and I’m still enjoying it a few years down the line, depending on where family life etc takes me but so far even with COVID it’s been good and I can’t complain at all.

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I’m in the engineers was late 20’s when I joined so was more concerned about a decent trade and some quals for civvy street. As it stands I’m looking at the job long term assuming I do ok on the promotion front and I’m still enjoying it a few years down the line, depending on where family life etc takes me but so far even with COVID it’s been good and I can’t complain at all.
Cool. Do the engineers have a commando unit? Would you consider it?

Vine

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Appreciate the advice - I did look into the army originally but the idea of the marines just seems much more appealing. I think I didn’t phrase my original post quite right, my main interest is going on ops, which is hopefully more likely now due to the FCF. I only ask about AT and travel in case there was never an opportunity to deploy while I served, or if I got pinged to a shitty SQ! I’d still want to be able to take something away from my time in the Corps.
Yeah fair one mate each too there own and that. As I’ve said if it’s fighting your after RM is definitely the way to go.

Vine

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Cool. Do the engineers have a commando unit? Would you consider it?
Yeah you can either do 23/24 23 is para and 24 is commando. I’ll let the royals on here give there opinions on what they think of 24 ones I know are good fit lads. Personally opinion is it’s a tough course and there’s no extra pay so it’s solely for a green lid if that’s your bag. I’d recommend posting in as an external and doing it that way. If it’s purely an arduous course I’d say do pcoy/divers they get extra pay or maybe go EOD but it’s more difficult to get. Again it’s down to what your preferences are where these units go and what they do etc.

Vine

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Have you ever worked with the Paras?
23 lads yes I’ve worked with a few on various courses para blokes from elsewhere no that’s a whole can of worms in its own. @Chelonian I’m sure will have an opinion on 23 and the parachute regiment

Last edited: