Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

RM Look at Life course

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Ozzy93, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Ozzy93

Ozzy93 New Member

Hi, I've been browsing the site for quite a while now and thought it was time I signed up. I'm 17 and am currently studying a Public Services course at college. They have given me and 2 others the chance to go down to Lympstone in May for the [email protected] course where I imagine another college will be attending. I've recieved my paperwork today in the post and apparently the Marines will be paying for a travel warrant for us to get down there on the train, just got a few questions really, any help would be much appreciated.

What should I wear on arrival? I'm contemplating shirt and tie but don't want to feel uncomfortable getting there to see everybody else in casual civvies. Same in the dining area at Lympstone, on the paperwork it says 'ripped jeans, sportswear or trainers not to be worn in the dining area' so I'm not sure what I should wear for that, when I did a similar course with the Army we all just wore jeans and t-shirt, not sure if this would be acceptable even for this course down at Lympstone. As well, does anybody have any idea when I should recieve my travel warrant? Or any other experiences from the same course or advice.

Thanks a lot, cannot wait to get down there to be honest :smile:

2. LD14

LD14 New Member

Welcome mate.

I done the same course at college and went for the Look at Life course.

When we got there we got given an RM rugby top which we had to wear all the time. Some lads just wore normal jeans and others wore smart trousers with smart shoes.

Its a really good course. Gives a great insight as to what life at CTC will be like. We got to go in and speak to the lads just starting training, two lads in Hunter and one in week 28 or something. Also getting a run through of the bottom field and endurance course is awesome!

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers
    Liam

3. RMcDonagh

RMcDonagh New Member

I'd say if you're worried go smart casual, good jeans and a v neck top or something similar. I wouldn't be to concerned though about being overdressed, I'd have no problem showing up in slacks + shirt & tie as it's better to be overdressed rather than underdressed. I couldn't give a crap for others opinions anyway, the only people whose opinion will matter down there are the RMs and they'll appreciate the effort.

4. Barry McGuigan

Barry McGuigan Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

Agreed with above.
    If you want, go smart, tie, shirt etc..
    But however i think Smart jeans and t-shirt would be fine as it's a look at life course. Someone might have a better input than that!
    If in doubt could always ask your college tutors etc..

I also read somewhere: Tell everyone on the Look at Life course to pick your food quickly instead of taking ages to choose your food as this annoys recruits who are in a rush. (something along those lines)

,Tobes

5. cpitt

cpitt New Member

Look at Life course

I'm in the same posistion , got my course in January. Not sure what to expect , however am looking forward to it.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Spot-on.

One sure-fire way to upset several hundred recuits on a very tight schedule is to plonk a load of students ahead of them in the servery queue whilst they dither instead of letting those behind through the food counter ahead of them.

It drives everyone bonkers, rest assured.

7. john smith

john smith New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    how old must you be and what must you do in order to get a place?

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Speak to your careers teacher, as advised yesterday - if there are sufficient numbers from your educational institution who are interested, he/she can request a Royal Marines Look at Life course via the local AFCO.

9. john smith

john smith New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    could I do this as my work experience in year 10? I am struggling to find anything else that interests me for it.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Many do, but the difficult bit is getting it when you would wish. The sooner you speak to your careers teacher, the more opportunities to attend will be available.

11. john smith

john smith New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks I will look into it