RM Officer- Educational standards for entry. (UCAS & BTEC, explained)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
For RM Officer selction, as well as 5 GCSE's A-C(including Maths & English)
the minimum standard for UCAS points is to be increased from the minimum level of 140 UCAS points to eliminate candidates who clearly struggle at AIB, and to better align RN recruiting standards with the other services. The minimum requirement for educational qualifications is to be raised to 180 UCAS points, subject to certain constraints.

The revised minimum standard for non-graduate Officer entry to the Royal Marines will be 180 UCAS points for all candidates from Fri 29 February 2008, subject to the constraints that:

1. the total must include at least two non-overlapping subject areas;
2. each subject must be allocated at least 45 UCAS points;
3. If unsure of overlapping subject areas AIB should be contacted.

The minimum for each subject will be increased from 40 to 45 UCAS points so the following will no longer acceptable:

1. A-Level Grade E;
2. AS-level GradeC;
3. Scottish Higher Grade D;
4. Scottish Intermediate any grade.

The full UCAS points tariff, showing equivalent qualifications, is available at UCAS.com

You cannot add AS & A level UCAS points in the same subject & the subjects must include at least two non-overlapping subjects scoring over 45.

The grades that count are:

A Level/Advanced Highers: A=120, B=100, C=80, D=60
AS Levels: A=60, B=50
Scottish Highers: A=72, B=60, C=48

BTECs Certificates are only valid at level 3 (Distinction, Merit grade pass or better).

BTEC Diploma (Merit, Merit, Merit)

All BTECs, HNDs must be verified by the Admiralty Interview Board as accepted non-overlapping subjects of sufficient academic content.

EDUCATIONAL PRE-FILTERING

Educational pre-filtering is used to identify enquirers who would have little chance of passing the AIB,or to establish whether they are sufficiently academically able to be considered for sponsorship.

The Professional Achievement Predictor ?O? Level (PAP(O)) pre-filter is applied to Officer candidates who do not yet possess ?A? level passes.

Candidates who do not have at least one "A" level (or equivalent, e.g. 2 Scottish Highers) or higher qualifications at the time of
contact will be scored using PAP (O).

Candidates studying for qualifications above GCSE are not exempt from PAP(O). Candidates who are bypassing GCSE or equivalent qualifications to study "A" levels, Highers etc. cannot be scored using PAP(O) since GCSE grades will not be known.

A Non-Graduate candidate must have at least five GCSE passes at grade C or
above, including mathematics and English language, or equivalent.

Non - graduate RM Officer applicants PAP(O) score of 23.5 if they apply before attaining A levels.

Scholarship Applicants.

Must have at least five GCSE passes at grade C or above, including mathematics and English language, or equivalent. Must have a minimum PAP(O) score of 35.

Calculating the PAP(O) Score

PAP(O) is based on performance in GCSE subjects (or equivalent subjects) and not examination sittings. In case of successful resits, the previous failure is discounted ;

if the same subject is taken more than once, the better or best grade is counted.

Similarly, 2 unsuccessful attempts at the same subject count as only one fail. Integrated Science with double certification counts as 2 subjects.

The 5 items used for PAP(O) are:

(1) Number of GCSE or equivalent subjects passed.

(2) Number of GCSE or equivalent subjects failed outright.

(3) Number of GCSE or equivalent grade points,

(where A=3, B=2 and C=1 for each subject passed).

(4) Best GCSE or equivalent Maths grade.

(5) Best GCSE or equivalent English Language grade.

[FONT=&quot]Accepted alternatives to Mathematics GCSE A*-C;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]SCE Ordinary Grade: A, B, C, SCE Standard Grade: 1, 2, 3, Irish Leaving Certificate Ordinary Level; A, B,C, For Maths equivalence a candidate must present [FONT=&quot]a full Mathematics level NII unit[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]passed at a minimum of Merit level or a[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]pass at the Higher level (indicated on[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]certificates as NIII or H).[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Relevant Open University Credits.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Not Accepted in lieu of GCSE Maths[FONT=&quot]: 'Application Of Numbers' Key Skills, GCSE/SCE pass in Statistics, SCE pass in Arithmetic, CSE Grade 1 in Arithmetic, CSE Grade 1 in Applied Mathematics[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Accepted alternatives to English Language GCSE A*-C;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A pass in a full unit of General and Communications studies at BTEC NC, *text deleted*, HNC or HND. Irish Leaving Certificate Ordinary Level; A, B, C, SCE Ordinary Grade: A, B, C, SCE Standard Grade: 1, 2, 3.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Not Accepted in lieu of GCSE English Language[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: GCSE English Literature, Pass in CSE English and Business Communication, A compensatory award in SCE H grade English, Communications' Key Skills.[/FONT]

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Latest news.

BTEC EQUIVALENCIES

Candidates offering BTEC Certificates and Diplomas, at level 3 and above, will now be accepted as satisfying the non-overlapping requirement, but the minimum acceptable standards for these qualifications are now as follows:

BTEC Certificate Distinction, Merit - anything less does not count
BTEC Diploma Merit, Merit, Merit - anything less does not count

The minimum standard for A levels remains 180 UCAS points, with at least two non-overlapping subjects. Other Level 3 qualifications will be dealt with under existing policy on a case by case basis.

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Information on ReRanking

hi
i unfortunately did miserably on my a lvls. so i decided i wanted to join the armed forces. Since RM are the best these would naturally be my choice. now i have applied for the rm as a marine but would like to in the future rerank to become an officer. so firstly i assume i will have the opportunity to retake a lvls and obtain the required ucas points to rerank. however i would like to know if you could leave for a period and go to university or would this not be a viable option?
also if i were to do this what are the advancement options i.e. i become an officer but will i rank up as quickly as someone who started as an officer?
another point is if i were to do this would i still be able to go special forces if i so wished or would i be less likely to have that opportunity?
thanks lot of questions there so if anyone would be helpful enough to answer some for me i would be most grateful.
thanks
alex

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
if you get a corps commision u dont needs a-levels

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
if you get a corps commision u dont needs a-levels

Correct, just the 5 GCSE's A*-C, including Maths & English.

(Oh, and you need to be recommended, pass POC, AIB, get selected & undergo Commando Officer training).

You can, if you wish take distance learning further educational qualifications whilst a trained Royal Marine.

Reaction score
Fellas, do not be under any illusion that going through the Corps Commission is an extremely difficult process. It is not a back door for those without A-Levels.

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
not at all i was under the impression it was possibly harder to become an officer this way... however as i did not obtain very good a levels and wished not to attend a poor university i thought it better to join now and gain the life experience i would need whilst also getting experience of life with the marines.
would becoming an officer this way actually inhibit promotion in any way?
i was under the impression from AFCO staff that you still needed the amount of ucas points.
thanks for all your help so far :)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
You do not need UCAS points for a Corps Commision, as stated, just the 5 GCSE's A*-C, including Maths & English.

If you are not selected before you are 26 then you are unlikely to become the next Corps Colonel due to age, but you will be promoted on merit. The "high flyers" tend to be direct entry officers.

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
ok thank you. that is exactly what i was looking for.
i am not sure about being the next corps colonel *text deleted* was just considering the possibilities of promotion and how it may affect me.
am only 19 so with a bit of hard work i am confident if i am right to become an officer this could be achieved before 26.
thank you for your help on this.
alex

Rob 1984

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Does every marine get the oppportunity to become a officer at some stage in their career or is it only the ones who are chosen? I know you would need to have shown good leadership skills.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
First & foremost you need to make it known you wish to apply for Officer friom within the Corps, if you are academically eligible. (English Language is currently mandatory as is Maths & any 3 others).

If you are eligible, request it & are recommended, you may go forward for selection. If you pass selection & AIB, you have to bear in mind you may not necessarily be selected to undergo RM Officer training- you are in competition with everyone to make the top 50 officer recruits, if you aren't selected you may undergo selection again as long as you continue to be recommended to do so. If you aren't selected you simply remain Other Rank RM.

S

Sotiris

I know this is side stepping a bit but I've always wondered; how would AIB differ for a serving Marine? Surely the entire process changes completely when looking at a Marine rather then a civilian? I would imagine that all the question about Corps knowlege are out of the window for startes? Of course I'm not implying that this makes the process any easier, they would surely turn the heat up on the skillet if they were frying one of their own.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Generally people applying to become an officer from within the service as a trained Other Rank, have considerably a stiffer and steeper hill to climb to pass both POC & AIB. Physical fitness wise- they will pretty much be expected to "max-out" in all individual POC selection elements.

From the AIB perspective, they are hardly going to ask a trained Marine what colour his beret is, what personal weapon is used by a Rifleman or when the Marines were founded. The questions will be much more involved, with a tri-service element. They won't be asked much basic stuff about the Corps but they maybe asked what the trained strength of each service is, the annual training budget, the titles & names of the heads of different forces, likewise their names, titles & areas of responsibility of all the Navy & Corps key players, their actual functions, weapons & capability of various aircraft, warships and armoured vehicles, disciplinary procedures and Naval Law, functional lines of authority & seniority, standard questions regarding Queens Regulations Royal Navy (QRRN), the Naval Discipline Act when they apply to Marines & in what capacity as opposed to the Army Act & QR(Army), the Articles of War, future armed forces materiel policy and projects, training elements, leadership problems, man management experience etc., etc.

The AIB for a serving person, who has the benefit of first hand experience, tends to have the bar raised accordingly.

D

Deleted

hi
i unfortunately did miserably on my a lvls. so i decided i wanted to join the armed forces.

No disrespect, it's great that you want to join the Armed Forces, it's just that you say you want to because you achieved poor A-Level results. Is it a last resort for you? If it is I'm just saying that you might not have your heart in it properly and give up, then again I don't know you.

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
no not at all carl. it was always an idea of mine but i had thought to attend university with no real plan as to what i would do when i left so joining the armed services was always in the offing. :) hence i decided to join now. thanks

D

Deleted

no not at all carl. it was always an idea of mine but i had thought to attend university with no real plan as to what i would do when i left so joining the armed services was always in the offing. :) hence i decided to join now. thanks

Ahh sorry. Just struck me in that way.

Reaction score
Educational Requirements

Hi, im slightly concered about having enough UCAS points, I have 480 and they are all drawn from full A Levels (not As). I am currently undertalking a masters in Chem.

But I am unsure what 'overlaping subjects' are, my A Levels are
Further Maths
Maths
Physics
Chemistry

Are these classed as overlaping?

And also could someone (prefrebly ninja, as he seem to be the fountain of all knowledge :) ) clear up what the seniority/pay is on entry with a masters?

Thank you
BTBY

foggers

Reaction score
Doesn't matter about what subjects you have done. Just as long as you have 140 UCAS points or something. So you're fine.

I did maths and physics with AS chemistry. Fun times. :notrust:
And I don't think a masters gives any senorority, as long as you have a degree.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
As long as you have 180 UCAS points from the maths, physics & chemistry A levels (the maths/further maths may count as overlapping, your ACLO can confirm either way), together with the basic 5 GCSE's A*~C (including maths & English) , you are academically eligible to apply as an officer. No contributing A level must score less than 45 UCAS points.

With a degree, your starting pay is over 28K. With a Masters, you gain an extra 6 months' seniority over a graduate with just a degree.