RM Officer Minimum Service

PM007

Reaction score
Hi All,

Could anyone tell me how long the minimum service is for an officer? as well as contract lengths. I have read on a forum post from a good few years ago that it was officially 6 years 3 months but that it may well change. Just wondering if it has in fact been updated.

Thanks in advance!

Pastafarian

Reaction score
it is difficult to get clear information on this matter - which is odd. Minimum service, as far as I can find out so far "Return of Service" (the period you need to serve to pay back your training) is apx 5 years assuming you dont quit within the first 6 months - if in the first 6 months, you must give 14 days notice.

I believe that the 5 years is after initial training of 15 months, putting it aprx to 6 yrs 3 months that you mention above.

The initial Commission period is for 12 years.

It would be really useful to have some up to date info / clarification of the terms of employment for RM Officers @Ninja_Stoker ?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Yep, it's an odd one with officer contracts as there are a couple of ways to look at it. If an Officer wants to leave, then depending on the reason at the time, it is arguable whether the Corps wishes to place a disaffected individual in a combat role. Equally, if they want out, there's not much to be gained by retaining them against their will.

After the first 6 months, I'd be inclined to bank on 4 years minimum (if you complete YO training) plus 1 year notice period = 5 years.

In short, it's case by case and the service has it within their gift to foreshorten the notice period for bona-fide reasons in certain situations.

The average RM Officer serves around 6 years.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Just had a look at this one:

12 year contract with following drop out point

Officers can withdraw anytime up until end of weeks 36 ( phase one) this is known a Premature Termination of Career Training point ( PTCT)

After PTCT you are required to complete the remainder of until 15 months training and 3 years effective return of service (ROS).

So in a nutshell up to week 36 you can go, if you go beyond that minimum time served will be 4 years 3 months, unless you have prior service as rules can differ then

Last edited: