RM Officer Qualifications

Stroll147

Reaction score
I am trying my hardest to join the YO 22 batch, and with the huge amount of applications expected I obviously want to max out my application and be an application they cannot reject (so obviously I'm working my absolute hardest at PT, running etc). I am currently doing A-Levels and hope to go in without a degree so my question: What are good qualifications/challenges/things for someone planning to go in without uni that would make their application stand out?

All answers appreciated, many thanks.

Chelonian

Reaction score
What are good qualifications/challenges/things for someone planning to go in without uni that would make their application stand out?
Undoubtedly some candidates at AIB will have jaw-dropping, exotic CVs and tales about wrestling with ice bears in the frozen north.

But intellectual maturity, judgment and personality will be scrutinised at AIB. The board isn't looking for the finished article; just evidence that the basic ingredients are present.

Arguably, adequate academic qualifications merely opens the door to applications. Physical fitness is important but remember that everyone is fit in the Corps.

If @TheRents spots this he might comment.

TheRents

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
A hard one to answer.

Firstly don't worry about making your application "stand out". This is not a civilian job application, at each stage, if you pass you will move forward with every one else. Only your final two selection stages, POC and AIB, are scored. To be selected for YO training you will need to achieve high marks in both.

Do not worry about not having a degree. If you have a first from Cambridge, but spent three years playing Xbox in your spare time you are not passing AIB.

Just get yourself out in the world - sport, clubs, part-time jobs etc. Do some voluntary work if you can fit it in. Anything that gets you interacting with as many people as possible.

The thing to remember, is this is not a tick box exercise. At AIB they will want to know what you gained from these activities, how they made you grow as a person and potential leader.

intellectual maturity, judgment and personality will be scrutinised at AIB. The board isn't looking for the finished article; just evidence that the basic ingredients are present.

Think hard about your motivations for wanting to be a RM officer and be able to convey these in a succinct manner

And last - be yourself! Yes I know that old chestnut, but at the end of the day you are either the right personality for the job, or you are not. Better to find out during the selection process than 14 months into YO training.

THOR

Reaction score
I am trying my hardest to join the YO 22 batch, and with the huge amount of applications expected I obviously want to max out my application and be an application they cannot reject (so obviously I'm working my absolute hardest at PT, running etc). I am currently doing A-Levels and hope to go in without a degree so my question: What are good qualifications/challenges/things for someone planning to go in without uni that would make their application stand out?

All answers appreciated, many thanks.
One thing that is very important is examples of self-sufficiency and periods where you've been away from home and handled yourself and that distance from family and friends. Obviously current climate makes any trips away tricky but make sure at home you're running your own admin (laundry, ironing, cooking and so on). You're a massive investment for them and so proving you can look after yourself like that is essential.

If you don't get in for Officer are you planning to go OR or do you have something lined up?

For example, from what I know of it (very little I'll add) there's around 500 applicants this year for what is normally 50 in a troop. That's a very competitive group and the speaking only for myself here, I am a much better rounded individual now at 22 than 18; assuming others are having a similar growth in the years after leaving school I am going to suggest it's a hard fight for ANY 18 year old to get into that 10% who are selected. Not saying impossible, not saying don't try, but seriously look at lining something up as a safety net.

Costs 26 quid for a UCAS application to multiple unis for example, or perhaps put feelers out for apprenticeships. Going to be a rough few years for picking up work and clearly you're hard working and ambitious (etc etc), finding yourself kicking about is a lot worse than getting on a course of some description.

All this coming from someone who's been looking wishfully at the corps for 6 years and getting stuck in medical bits and pieces, don't have to give up on the dream of the corps at all (they'll be receiving applications from me until I find myself aged 33) but look out for number one at the same time. Having a plan B to fill time and grow isn't lessening your commitment, it's just being smart.