RM OFFICER

ICTTech

Reaction score
right i am slightly confused ,

according the the RM site if you a school leaver you can apply to the RM officer's role as long as you start batween 17 and 26 on the first month of training .
but if your a degree grad you have to be under 26 before the 1st of september of year of entry into training. why the difference?

also under School leaver it says late entry is rare?

also if you are in the forces in RN or RAF you can transfer batween each other would this be effected by your minimum 3 years service?

edit: missus asked me as i have signed up for RAF but keep talking about RM , so she just wants to make sure if i have done the wrong thing here i have options

Tomm2024

Reaction score
Not a hundred percent but I think that it means the same thing. There's only one Officer intake a year, officer training starts in September so in both cases you'd need to be under 26 on 1st September.

Cheers,

Tom

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Tomm2024 said:
Not a hundred percent but I think that it means the same thing. There's only one Officer intake a year, officer training starts in September so in both cases you'd need to be under 26 on 1st September.

Cheers,

Tom
Spot on, you have to be one day short of your 26th birthday on the actual day of the annual officer intake which is the first Monday in September usually. In 2008 1st Sept is a monday.

Cerberus said:
right i am slightly confused ,

....also if you are in the forces in RN or RAF you can transfer batween each other would this be effected by your minimum 3 years service?

edit: missus asked me as i have signed up for RAF but keep talking about RM , so she just wants to make sure if i have done the wrong thing here i have options
In order to transfer between services it will indeed affect your minimum 3 years return of service. Whichever arm of the services spends £1000's training you, will expect a return for their investment. It is highly unlikely you will be given manning clearance to transfer between services before you complete your minimum return of service upon completion of initial training.

In short if you want to be a Royal Marines Officer, then join as a Royal Marines Officer, if you want to serve in the RAF, then join the RAF. Most people who wish to transfer between services have to leave first- the big question mark if you leave after the minimum return of service will be your commitment to the next venture.

Best of luck in your choices.