Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

RM (Official) Joining Kit List

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Most guys take a trip into Exeter to buy the kit from the unique list provided by their training team at competitive rates, beware taking items not on the AFCO list or in the Recruit Handbook as the handbook states the following:

• Like Like x 1
  2. i dared i won

i dared i won New Member

Ninja,

What exactly does the shoe cleaning kit comprise of which is required when starting recruit training?

Thank you

Joe

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

2X Bristle brushes
    Good brand of shoe-polish (with beeswax)
    2X Yellow cotton polishing cloths (red stiching around outside edge)
    Cotton wool.

[​IMG]
    Rest assured it need not be expensive.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. TheGeek

TheGeek Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Thanks for the sound advice.

I have other shaving kit that I could take along so not a massive concern, just one of those little queries.

Geek

5. steman

steman Member

I was never given a recruit handbook at PRMC i dont think anyone was. Does this mean we'll get them in our brief? And will i get a kitlist there as well? Thanks.

6. DGr

DGr New Member

Hi Ninja/anyone else in the know.
    Do you know anything about getting insoles for boots? For example what are the preferred types/makes?
    I've heard it's quite useful to get hold of some but I wasn't sure where to start and which ones would be most beneficial
    Thanks in advance.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Post 41 refers with regard additional kit not on the AFCO kitlist.

8. lewisn

lewisn New Member

Rm kit list?

Hi, PRMC 15th may 2012, but i want to think ahead and be prepared, anybody able to give me a kit list of things i WILL NEED to take to Recruit Training, will obviously receive one after PRMC but always impatient! Would like the kit list to start buying the stuff! Thank you for your time!!

9. WelshLad91

WelshLad91 Royal Marines Commando

Just wait incase you fail PRMC.

10. TonyN

TonyN New Member

In relation to Polish, I would (and I'm sure most training teams would) recommend buying Kiwi boot Polish.

I used to always have a tin of Kiwi Parade gloss polish for drill boots and normal polish for everyday boots. There is no reason why you couldn't use Parade gloss for both in fairness, I find the Parade Gloss gives a better shine.

And I'm not sure if its been mentioned but it would be handy to have a bag of cotton wool b a l l s for bulling your boots. Stick them in with your polish kit.

11. BillyR

BillyR New Member

...Why would you need a comb?

12. lawley23

lawley23 New Member

For brushing your hair and tash

13. Gump

Gump Member

And also for keeping your gentleman well groomed.

14. lawley23

lawley23 New Member

I hear Jake's got to get a hair cut

15. Wingzero

Wingzero Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    @Ninja_Stoker
    heya ninja! liking the new avatar. I have a question, when you mention "1 set" do you mean 1 trouser, 1 shirt and tie, 1 smart pair shoes? Am i understanding then that it gets cleaned and dried on the day ready for the next? I was thinking that I needed to bring at least five shirts for each day (excluding the weekends), nice to know if it isn't as I'm suffering from financial stuff.

also this question still applies: "The kit list doesn't mention underwear/socks so how many should I bring down and is there a certain type you have to wear?"

again I was thinking 5-7 for each day. I don't know what the washing rota is like.

finally if someone is in debt would this stop someone from being able to join? I can scrounge the money to get the materials but my finances aren't stellar.
    I'm recovering from my injury and getting my fitness back up. looking to resume app in October.
    Many thanks and hope all is well
    wing

16. johnsonca9

johnsonca9 Member

Socks are issued, but worth taking a good 7-10 pairs of civvie ones for down time and the weekends (when you actually get them).

Underwear is your own. There is no requirement to wear boxers over y-fronts etc, so take the style you fell comfortable in.

In relation to the number of pairs, I would take a good 20 pairs. You will get used to doing washing every night anyway, but always better to have a few pairs too many. Plus you may end up losing a pair or 2 on the weekend nights out!!

The only thing I would advise anyone to take in addition to the standard kit list; Take your own padlocks. You are issued 4 padlocks, but I heavily advise anyone to go and purchase their own pack of 4 padlocks that all work from the same key. You lose endless time trying to find the right key, and those few moments when you are rushing are precious, and it stops you getting stressed as well.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Ta. I'm rubbish at selfies. Missed my head completely.

Once you join CTC to commence recruit training you'll be wearing uniform 24/7.

The only time you will wear civilian clothes is if you get a weekend off when you can go home (week 5), main leave periods, the odd day off over a weekend, occasional night leave later in training, or on the battlefield trip.

There will be plenty of opportunities to bring more clobber from home, if required, as you progress through training.

With regard underwear - you are joining the Commandos :) .....Seriously though - 7 pairs of each should do for starters.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Wingzero

Wingzero Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    haha you're both quite the comedians!

thank you both for your replies! :) much appreciated!

19. Thomas Hunter

Thomas Hunter New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Not that it would bother me, nor do I want to sound pompous, but do officers also have communal bathrooms? Thanks!

20. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I believe they do initially.