RM (Official) Joining Kit List

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
What sort of things are on this list. I know they are unique, but are there any extras that are usually on there? I here the shop on camp is abit pricey, and if I can get anything before abit cheaper it would help.
Most guys take a trip into Exeter to buy the kit from the unique list provided by their training team at competitive rates, beware taking items not on the AFCO list or in the Recruit Handbook as the handbook states the following:

Recruit Handbook, page two;

Additional Service Equipment

The emphasis throughout training is placed on a recruit learning how to use & maintain the equipment issued to him therefore he is is discouraged from buying additional items unnecessarily as he will not be permitted to use them. Any recruit who arrives at CTCRM with additional service equipment will have those items secured in Troop baggage rooms and will be directed to take these items home at the earliest opportunity.

i dared i won

Reaction score
Ninja,

What exactly does the shoe cleaning kit comprise of which is required when starting recruit training?

Thank you

Joe

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
2X Bristle brushes
Good brand of shoe-polish (with beeswax)
2X Yellow cotton polishing cloths (red stiching around outside edge)
Cotton wool.

Rest assured it need not be expensive.

TheGeek

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
So far as I'm aware anything with a 3 inch blade could be construed as a potential offensive weapon - as unlikely as that may seem.

The advice is take disposible razors for the first 3 weeks, make the enquiry via your training team & if approved, your family can bring your "cut-throat" razor to Families Day if "given the OK".
Thanks for the sound advice.

I have other shaving kit that I could take along so not a massive concern, just one of those little queries.

Geek

steman

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I was never given a recruit handbook at PRMC i dont think anyone was. Does this mean we'll get them in our brief? And will i get a kitlist there as well? Thanks.

DGr

Reaction score
Hi Ninja/anyone else in the know.
Do you know anything about getting insoles for boots? For example what are the preferred types/makes?
I've heard it's quite useful to get hold of some but I wasn't sure where to start and which ones would be most beneficial
Thanks in advance.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Post 41 refers with regard additional kit not on the AFCO kitlist.

lewisn

Reaction score
Rm kit list?

Hi, PRMC 15th may 2012, but i want to think ahead and be prepared, anybody able to give me a kit list of things i WILL NEED to take to Recruit Training, will obviously receive one after PRMC but always impatient! Would like the kit list to start buying the stuff! Thank you for your time!!

WelshLad91

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi, PRMC 15th may 2012, but i want to think ahead and be prepared, anybody able to give me a kit list of things i WILL NEED to take to Recruit Training, will obviously receive one after PRMC but always impatient! Would like the kit list to start buying the stuff! Thank you for your time!!
Just wait incase you fail PRMC.

TonyN

Reaction score
In relation to Polish, I would (and I'm sure most training teams would) recommend buying Kiwi boot Polish.

I used to always have a tin of Kiwi Parade gloss polish for drill boots and normal polish for everyday boots. There is no reason why you couldn't use Parade gloss for both in fairness, I find the Parade Gloss gives a better shine.

And I'm not sure if its been mentioned but it would be handy to have a bag of cotton wool b a l l s for bulling your boots. Stick them in with your polish kit.

Wingzero

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
@Ninja_Stoker
heya ninja! liking the new avatar. I have a question, when you mention "1 set" do you mean 1 trouser, 1 shirt and tie, 1 smart pair shoes? Am i understanding then that it gets cleaned and dried on the day ready for the next? I was thinking that I needed to bring at least five shirts for each day (excluding the weekends), nice to know if it isn't as I'm suffering from financial stuff.

also this question still applies: "The kit list doesn't mention underwear/socks so how many should I bring down and is there a certain type you have to wear?"

again I was thinking 5-7 for each day. I don't know what the washing rota is like.

finally if someone is in debt would this stop someone from being able to join? I can scrounge the money to get the materials but my finances aren't stellar.
I'm recovering from my injury and getting my fitness back up. looking to resume app in October.
Many thanks and hope all is well
wing

johnsonca9

Reaction score
Socks are issued, but worth taking a good 7-10 pairs of civvie ones for down time and the weekends (when you actually get them).

Underwear is your own. There is no requirement to wear boxers over y-fronts etc, so take the style you fell comfortable in.

In relation to the number of pairs, I would take a good 20 pairs. You will get used to doing washing every night anyway, but always better to have a few pairs too many. Plus you may end up losing a pair or 2 on the weekend nights out!!

The only thing I would advise anyone to take in addition to the standard kit list; Take your own padlocks. You are issued 4 padlocks, but I heavily advise anyone to go and purchase their own pack of 4 padlocks that all work from the same key. You lose endless time trying to find the right key, and those few moments when you are rushing are precious, and it stops you getting stressed as well.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
@Ninja_Stoker
heya ninja! liking the new avatar. I have a question, when you mention "1 set" do you mean 1 trouser, 1 shirt and tie, 1 smart pair shoes? Am i understanding then that it gets cleaned and dried on the day ready for the next? I was thinking that I needed to bring at least five shirts for each day (excluding the weekends), nice to know if it isn't as I'm suffering from financial stuff.

also this question still applies: "The kit list doesn't mention underwear/socks so how many should I bring down and is there a certain type you have to wear?"

again I was thinking 5-7 for each day. I don't know what the washing rota is like.

finally if someone is in debt would this stop someone from being able to join? I can scrounge the money to get the materials but my finances aren't stellar.
I'm recovering from my injury and getting my fitness back up. looking to resume app in October.
Many thanks and hope all is well
wing
Ta. I'm rubbish at selfies. Missed my head completely.

Once you join CTC to commence recruit training you'll be wearing uniform 24/7.

The only time you will wear civilian clothes is if you get a weekend off when you can go home (week 5), main leave periods, the odd day off over a weekend, occasional night leave later in training, or on the battlefield trip.

There will be plenty of opportunities to bring more clobber from home, if required, as you progress through training.

With regard underwear - you are joining the Commandos :) .....Seriously though - 7 pairs of each should do for starters.

Thomas Hunter

Reaction score
A set of smart civilian dress (shoes, trousers, collared shirt and tie). This should be worn when joining CTCRM. 1 set

Casual civilian dress. (Smart jeans, T-shirts and clean training shoes are allowed). At least 2 sets

Swimming trunks. 1 pair

Flip-flops. (Accommodation and washing facilities are communal) 1 pair

Sports kit (Shorts, t-shirts, socks) Two sets

Training shoes One pair.

The following items should be brought with you, although they can be purchased at CTCRM:

Clothes brush 1
Coat hangers 6
Shoe cleaning kit 1 set
Soft yellow dusters (good quality – for polishing shoes) 2
Metal polish (eg. Brasso). 1 tin
Washing powder 1 packet
Steam iron (essential). Due to Health and Safety requirements all electrical equipment at CTCRM is tested regularly, therefore, it is strongly advised that a new steam iron is purchased.

There are several small items that the new recruit will be required to buy from the shop on camp, the list for which will be given on arrival. To this end Recruits must arrive at CTCRM with sufficient money to cover the cost of these items and incidental expenses - ?200

Personal Hygiene in Barracks.

Exacting standards of personal hygiene are required from The Royal Marines. The following items are to be brought:

Shower gel 1
Shampoo. 1
Comb. 1
Toothbrush. 1
Toothpaste. 1
Nail brush. 1
Razor (not electric) + spare blades 1
Shaving foam/gel. 1
Large Towel 2
Not that it would bother me, nor do I want to sound pompous, but do officers also have communal bathrooms? Thanks!