RM (Official) Joining Kit List

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Thomas Hunter

Thomas Hunter New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Ok thanks

2. RyanL67

RyanL67 Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Do you need a ironing board as well as a steam iron

3. corvus

corvus Member

You can buy one at the naafi, but they aren't provided

4. RyanL67

RyanL67 Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Ok thanks mate

5. "Crikey mate"

"Crikey mate" Member

The ironing boards in the naafi aren't the best, but depends if you *text deleted* take one all the way on the trains. I'd suggest getting a few covers or a special a pad for your ironing board to make ironing easier & so the pattern of the metal frame does't come through

6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Ironing boards? Luxury! A blanket on a table top is an adequate 'ironing board' if nothing else is available. I did my RT elsewhere in the 1970s but none of my Recruit Platoon used ironing boards.
    @Caversham was it the same in your day? :)

7. JWJ

JWJ Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    You used tables??

Cadet dit inbound...

National Parade, 350 cadets, TV crews, Rifles, Chief of the Air Staff, RAF Cranwell..

Not enough ironing boards for 30 let alone 350. No tables. No foot lockers..

The concrete floor held up alot better than the wooden floor.

8. eitharus

eitharus New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I know personal additional kit (military) is discouraged hiwever want to get a read on things like:

Hip Pads (Webbing; Yomping)
    Laminators
    Breachtool / Boresnake (weapon cleaning)

Are small things like this post foundation likely to get you the wrong attention or is this dependant on your troop / level of training?

Anyone in RT at the moment offer advice?

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Each training team is different and at any one time there are at least 12 training teams.

It's probably best not to waste money trying to second guess what kit will be allowed when. Trouble is, if you stockpile it at home but leave recruit training for reasons beyond your control, you'll have a pile of unwanted kit.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 03092014

03092014 Royal Marines Commando

You get issued a hip pad
    You won't need a laminator
    Bore snakes are not allowed

Personally I'd wait until you start training before making to many investments. Anything you do need is either in town or you can order online.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jaykay2343

Jaykay2343 Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Regards training teams, they all follow a plan however have there own variants or opinion on how to take a troop through...some troops will go on yomps with bergens straight away some will only use daysacks etc.

Point being is you get issued kit to use in phase 1 to show you can look after yourself and kit...in phase 2 most training teams allow extra kit to use instead of issued kit. Such as the use of jet boils, camelbak style water bottles, wet wipes, electric razors etc

My suggestion is wait until phase 1 is over and see what your training team is like.

At foundation block you will bin anything like knee pads, (non prescribed)insoles, sports tape etc anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  12. m2013

m2013 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Arent all thr uk military moving towards virtus only? Ie webbing daysack and bergan. My unit has this in place and honestly its the worst kit ive ever used apart from helmet and body armour.

13. ERFC

ERFC Royal Marines Commando

I used the Bergen on a recent course that involved a load of yomps and couldn’t fault it one bit. Didn’t even use the belt kit that comes with it, just the Bergen. I’m going to invest in a modified Long back regular Bergen (just easier to add pouches etc) but I saw no reason to spend the money until I tried out the new kit.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  14. Firedrake

Firedrake New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Are you allowed to bring toe socks to wear underneath the general issue socks to alleviate blisters?
    Added to that what are the training teams opinions on Vibram 5 Finger trainers, are they allowed?
    Is there a written standard as to what training shoes are acceptable?

15. ERFC

ERFC Royal Marines Commando

The issued socks were more then adequate for the majority of lads when I went through training. Your feet are going to be wet for almost 85% of training so having 2 pairs of socks on is just going to mean your feet stay wetter for longer. Furthermore, with two layers of insulation it'll mean your feet will have an increase in perspiration resulting in the quicker onset of "pitting" which, you won't believe me, until you have can be excruciatingly painful.

Just take whats on the kit list, nothing more nothing less (apart from an iron and ironing board). Throughout training as you progress and you prove as a troop you're at the standard then you can start to ask questions about using all the above items. The kit they provide you is tried and tested over many years and yes it's antiquated but it more then suffices to get a nod through training.

• Like Like x 1