RM or University - life dilemma

geraltofrivea

Reaction score
Hi lads.

University for 4 years and then go for RM at age 26/27?(would be too old for Officer)

Or go RM and then when I leave, go to University?

Trying to figure out which path would be best for me.
It's a long shot and I'm not even in RT yet, never mind having my green beret but I want to try for UKSF selection (i know, i know..).

In my mind joining the RM at age 26/27 and having to do the few years before you can put your name forward for selection would put me at 28-30. Too old for sf selection?

I wish I joined up at 18, but *text deleted* happens and I can't go back and fix that now. I know University will be there after the Corps.

Age is my biggest concern when it comes to all of this.

Also have a girlfriend so have to take that into consideration too. -banghead-

Hoping that there is someone who was in my shoes and had to make a decision like this and would be able to give me some advice.

sorry for the long post :)

geraltofrivea

Reaction score
Would also note that I have always disliked school. Always did okay at school but just disliked it(borderline hate).

Worth doing something I dislike for 4 years or something I might love for 4 years? -nailbiting-

Halcyon

Reaction score
First off, this is defos a choice you have to make.

Personally I went to a fancy expensive school (parent was faculty so I got in free), and basically everyone went to uni. I wasn't even aware really that other options existed when I was 18. By the end of my A level equivalent I hated education, but as I said didn't know what to do, and a gap year wasn't on the cards. I went to uni, did a biochem degree which I hated every second of. I did a year of UOTC when I was there, and enjoyed the green soldiering stuff, though not really the officer bits. It took me a year after uni to really figure out what to do with my life, set my goals, and start working towards them. Career 1 fell through, and life got in the way, but I did everything I could have. My other burning desire was to push myself and to join RM, and if I get though that, judge whether I think I have a shot at hacking it in SF, and whether I'd still want to do it at that point (though I'd be very happy having a career in the RM outside the extreme rafting service). At this point I'm in my mid 20s, with student loan debt, and a degree I don't want to use, haven't so far and probably never really will. I really wish I could turn the clock back to when I was 16, tell myself to train up, and have joined at 18.

Someone in a different situation might say uni first, personally from my perspective I'd say military first.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I’m *text deleted* try and hit some of your main points.

28-30 is not too old for selection. I’m sure there are blokes of that age that have passed.

You never know mate you may join up now and do your full career in the corps and which could end up with the corps paying for a degree. You could pass selections and become RSM of shakey boat service in which case my guessing is, a uni degree is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

You said you didn’t like school. So you probably won’t like lectures. What you will like is going out on lash, especially when it gets you out of uni work. And you’re also saying you wish you had joinned when you were 18. So my train of thought is, if you go to uni and then join at 27 you will probably think I wish I joined when I was younger. I’m just playing devils advocate here because I tried studying too and hated it. I spent two years on a course I found easy but dull as hell, so I boozed like no tomorrow, and procrastinated until I knocked it on the head. I’m just saying you might not want to hack 4 years of uni, but then again you might get to RT and not want to hack that either. Just food for thought.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hi lads.

University for 4 years and then go for RM at age 26/27?(would be too old for Officer)

It's a long shot and I'm not even in RT yet, never mind having my green beret but I want to try for UKSF selection (i know, i know..).

In my mind joining the RM at age 26/27 and having to do the few years before you can put your name forward for selection would put me at 28-30. Too old for sf selection?

I wish I joined up at 18, but *text deleted* happens and I can't go back and fix that now. I know University will be there after the Corps.

Hoping that there is someone who was in my shoes and had to make a decision like this and would be able to give me some advice.

Go marines first if you don’t like it then go to uni I understand the fall back option but no point doing 4 years at uni to then go the marines route.
I wish i applied when I was 18-20 and not when I was 27 and now 31 as it gets so much more difficult when your older especially if you have life commitments like a wife , kids , alot of bills and not being physically as capable as I was when I was 20!

This is one of those things only you can answer yourself everyone has different lives and what they want to achieve so that’s just down to you really what route you wish to go and what you feels best.

jl1572

Reaction score
Why not both? Go RMR and study at university at the same time. It's what I am doing at the moment. RT is a good getaway from the average student social life (which never appealed to me) and studying a subject you have an interest in is good downtime from RT.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Why not both? Go RMR and study at university at the same time. It's what I am doing at the moment. RT is a good getaway from the average student social life (which never appealed to me) and studying a subject you have an interest in is good downtime from RT.

What are your plans after university? If you dont mind me asking

jl1572

Reaction score
What are your plans after university? If you dont mind me asking
That's a question with a long answer... Which I have no problem shortening, but keep in mind I'm missing a lot of context and have been weighing up options for a while now. Another thing to consider is I am currently in second-year uni and I wish to take my studies as far as they can go, so I am going to be spending the next few years with the RMR at least (a dislike of people who join and leave in quick succession is why I want to clarify that). But at the moment I have 3 options I'm considering, in no particular order... The first is flying with the corps or the fleet air arm in regular service. The next (this one is the least likely route and only something I have been considering the past few months, but it has been growing on me) would be finding work in civvy street putting my studies to practice, and staying RMR. And the third is something I will keep to myself but is the route I've wanted to take near enough my whole life (as opposed to uni which I am only forcing myself through as I was lucky enough to be given the opportunity) but is in regular military service. The "life dilemma" the OP talks about is something I can understand and have spent years considering which is why I wouldn't mind hearing what their thought process on the corps is at the moment. Again, missing a lot of contexts. The circumstance of joining, background, etc. But thanks for the question

Edit: I get I am just shy of 20 so the "years" considering things might seem like bollocks, but I left school at 15 which gives you a lot of time to think...

Chelonian

Reaction score
...but I left school at 15 which gives you a lot of time to think...

Very true. Although I did not leave school until age sixteen I disengaged from it at about age fourteen.
Aged twenty the world is your lobster. Best of luck.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
That's a question with a long answer... Which I have no problem shortening, but keep in mind I'm missing a lot of context and have been weighing up options for a while now. Another thing to consider is I am currently in second-year uni and I wish to take my studies as far as they can go, so I am going to be spending the next few years with the RMR at least (a dislike of people who join and leave in quick succession is why I want to clarify that). But at the moment I have 3 options I'm considering, in no particular order... The first is flying with the corps or the fleet air arm in regular service. The next (this one is the least likely route and only something I have been considering the past few months, but it has been growing on me) would be finding work in civvy street putting my studies to practice, and staying RMR. And the third is something I will keep to myself but is the route I've wanted to take near enough my whole life (as opposed to uni which I am only forcing myself through as I was lucky enough to be given the opportunity) but is in regular military service. The "life dilemma" the OP talks about is something I can understand and have spent years considering which is why I wouldn't mind hearing what their thought process on the corps is at the moment. Again, missing a lot of contexts. The circumstance of joining, background, etc. But thanks for the question

Edit: I get I am just shy of 20 so the "years" considering things might seem like bollocks, but I left school at 15 which gives you a lot of time to think...

Fair one mate. Reason I ask, its surprising how many lads answer is to then go full time anyway -banghead-.
Personally I do see that Reserves are needed however I find it hard to understand the desire for young lads with little responsibility choosing reserves over full time. It does happen. And there a few lads who do use it as abit of backdoor entry.

However clearly you have thought your position through so fair one. Education is clearly important to you. All I'd advise is that your situation is yours and yours alone so go with your plan. We all think we have the ideal plan so try to impose that on others aswell, dont let others influence your decisions too much. Hopefully everything works out for you. I just hope that third option isnt the RLC o_O

Chelonian

Reaction score
The "life dilemma" the OP talks about is something I can understand and have spent years considering which is why I wouldn't mind hearing what their thought process on the corps is at the moment.

Arguably most dilemmas are resolved by thought. Every choice involves compromise; profit and loss. Research your options and as suggested by @Rob20 follow your instinct.

sharpe

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
It’s very hard as a 20 something isn’t it! Whatever you decide to do won’t be right or wrong. I’m not sure anyone has the answer apart from you. Absolutely no help I know but it’s a time to sit down, reflect and work it out

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi lads.

The uni or join thing is a topic done to death, a lot of people voice concerns, you will have to decide what’s best for you, if you have good base education to get into uni, you should be ok when you leave And can take advantage of the learning centre and resettlement funding.

what I will say, might sound harsh. But don’t base your life decisions on a girlfriend.
Obviously take her opinions and thoughts, but don’t make the choice based on her.

too many blokes have left training, for an unhappy girlfriend, then the relationship ends and they rejoin, regretting it.

same for blokes leaving the corps, they leave for a relationship, the relationship fails and the regret leaving.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

Just to let you know, you won’t be able to fly in the Corps, it’s rarer than rocking horse sh1t and practically impossible.
With fleet air arm it’s a lengthy process and training that you will want to start young enough.
If you want to fly, you should have joined the University Air Squardon.

Remember RMR isn’t a Mickey Mouse organisation for work experience. That’s what UOTC, UAS etc is for.

For anyone in uni, I would suggest thinking about UOTC and UAS or even Army Reserves instead of RMR, due to the high commitment and length of training.

Dan8696

Reaction score
I think back now to when I was 18 and in my final year at college, the RM would come into our college and do a day with our course 3 times a year, for both first and second years on the course. I didn't take part in first year through illness but I really enjoyed it in the second year, genuinely some of the most fun I've had, rolling round, doing phys, getting cold wet and muddy after doing a morning session with presentations & mock recruit tests.

I found myself now wanting do something that I'd never thought about ever before in my life whilst I knew in the background that I had a place at university for September. I wasn't ever particularly great in school, I came away with mostly B's and C's, and then did a B-Tec in college, but found myself with this new. opportunity which I took. Fast forward 5 years, I'm now in the application phase to join as a RMYO.

If you didn't like school, sitting in lectures taking notes, going back to your room and writing them up, doing seminar work, doing the reading and then going to seminars will suck, if you borderline hated school, you won't make it past the first 6 months of uni. You'll love going out on the lash (I certainly did, even in my final year), if you play sport you'll be playing BUCS on a Wednesday, going the pub for several hours afterwards, quick shower and change and then out for the night, rinse and repeat on Saturday and every week afterwards. But that isn't sustainable. Nor would you do some things which you may have done at age 18 being a little bit more eager at that age we'll say.

You've got to do what suits you and your life. I almost ruined my entire uni career in my second year because I chose what a gf wanted over what I wanted, some of the worst decisions of my life, I can assure you.

If a career with the RM/ UKSF is something you want, I'd say do it & join in the here and now. University's will always be around when you decide to hang up your boots, be it going to one as a mature student or joining the Open University, if I wanted to go back to uni, I know I'd choose the latter.

jl1572

Reaction score
Just to let you know, you won’t be able to fly in the Corps, it’s rarer than rocking horse sh1t and practically impossible.
With fleet air arm it’s a lengthy process and training that you will want to start young enough.
If you want to fly, you should have joined the University Air Squardon.

Remember RMR isn’t a Mickey Mouse organisation for work experience. That’s what UOTC, UAS etc is for.

For anyone in uni, I would suggest thinking about UOTC and UAS or even Army Reserves instead of RMR, due to the high commitment and length of training.
Yep, cheers. Those are things I've heard and considered, but I've made my bed now. Living in the moment it feels like the right choice. I might feel different few years down the line but I definitely don't see the RMR as just some work experience, if it had been to further my own career then yeah I would've joined some university unit. As for the commitments, I've proffed with online study for now...

Edit: Just on the topic of flying specifically, I do have a parent who served a career in the faa. And most of what you said is identical to what they said and I have followed their advice behind the scenes. But seeing students of these university units walk around campus with their kit on looking a pile of s*text deleted*t, not very appealing...

Last edited: