RM rope crossing technique

onestepatatime

Reaction score
Hey guys,
First time actually posting on this site but have been a fan for some time! Great advice throughout, I was hoping you may be able to help with a general query of my own, tried with the search but could not find anything relevant.

Why do the royal marines, on the tarzan and bottom field assault course, cross the ropes on top of the rope itself, as opposed to hanging from it and crossing that way?

Are there any benefits to crossing a rope by lying on it and dragging yourself along?

I have always wondered since seeing Chris Terril's documentary and various youtube clips.

Thanks in advance!
I'm off for a run :smile:

DecaMarine

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Would it be due to the fact that when you stop moving along the rope at any point its less tiring to just lie on the rope than it is to be hanging? Thats what I reckon anyway

Hopefulfutureroyalmarine

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Assuming you are carrying 32 lb webbing, rifle andd being potentially soaking wet, it is probably less tiring on the body sittin on the rope instead of hanging with all that extra weight. Hanging up side down only uses a few muscles , arms, legs , wheras being on top the body is using more muscles , abs, back etc to spreAd the concentration of muscle usage.

Finally, staying upright, your vision is better to scan for potential danger and other operational stuff. Being upside down you are blind to everything else going on around

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
In a 'real world' situation it may also be easier to disembark from the rope if you're on top of it.

It's quite a bit quicker as well, at least in my opinion, and it gives some leeway if you slip. If you slip from on top you can still dangle but if you let go when you're dangling, you'll drop and potentially get hurt.

Jbc

Royal Marines Commando -Moderator
Reaction score
Even carrying 33lbs of kit you can lie on top of a rope indefinitely. Try hanging under one for more than 5 mins.