RM vs RMR

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by storms101, Dec 5, 2016.

1. storms101

storms101 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Can someone please tell me, from a marines point of view, the difference between RM and RMR, and how they are perceived by those serving full time?

Also by joining the RMR are you missing out on anything that you wouldn't by joining the regs?

Finally, if I go FTRS will I be able to join a full time unit, if so, can I choose what unit I join?

Thank-you

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

The aim of the Reserves is to flexibly augment the trained strength of the Regular Royal Marines.

For the most part, Reservists, once they complete training, will have a full-time civilian "day job", attend a dozen or so drill nights a year, complete a couple of weeks training packages each year and qualify for their annual bounty.

RMR Other Ranks complete the same Commando Tests, to the same standards. Outwardly, they wear the same uniform and bear no badges/insignia that differentiates from a regular serving Royal Marine.

The issue for Reservists is trying to maintain "currency". Even former regular Royal Marines who elect to join the Reserves, will find that they will naturally acquire skill fade over time to a greater or lesser degree.

Generally speaking Reservists that are mobilised with a unit about to deploy, will join about three months before the tour to bring themselves "up to speed" during pre-deployment exercises (Optag). Once deployed they are embedded as individuals within a regular service unit, not as a stand-alone reservist unit.

Joining the RMR with the aim of serving in an FTRS capacity once trained is a bit of a remote option. Most of those serving in renewable FTRS contracts tend to be ex-regulars. You can volunteer for FTRS posts that arise within units, but when mobilised as a reservist in times of emergency (the last wholesale mobilisation was Desert Storm), you go where you are needed.

The perception of Reserves from a Regular viewpoint is that there is a difference. Some good, some bad. There was a frequent gripe during the Herrick tours that regular service lads were bumped-off a deployment, employed back in UK as rear-party or BCRs to enable Reservists to get a taste of frontline action. In reality, units need a rear party and BCRs anyway and they would rather they were "up to speed" regulars than inexperienced reservists who haven't undergone an OpTag.

Ultimately, horses for courses. Are the Reserves the same as Regulars? In theory but those who complete training as an RMR Other Rank and wish to switch to joining the regular service must undertake the full 32 week recruit training package from scratch at present, presumably due to a few scary errors made in theatre. Whether that changes over time remains to be seen. The same problems were encountered with regard UKSF(R) personnel who are no longer employed in tier one roles due to "currency" issues identified on the ground.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1