Rmad help?

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Mattys, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I was at careers office today just getting some forms.

Anyway I have my re do medical end of this month and my careers officer has asked me well pretty much suggested I go on a rmad 2 days later in a place that is 160 miles away from me so around a 5 hour train journey providing I pass the medical this time around.

I would arrive at the place it is taken around 12pm so I'm not sure if that is late or even gives me much time to even attempt the course to my ability after such a long journey I mentioned that I'd have my pjft pretty soon after the medical if passed and didn't *text deleted* take the risk of getting a slight nock or something happening at the rmad as I'm not sure how much would actually be done fitness wise there.

Was told if I pass the bft this would class as a pass on the 2x 1.5 mile run and I would not have to take the pjft and could go right ahead and get a prmc booked in for me but I've seen alot of posts stating I'd still have to take the pjft so am pretty unsure of this wether different afco are different.

Also with regards to the prmc they stated they felt confident in my ability and that would get me booked on the closest prmc providing I pass everything up to that point I said I'd like 2 months to prepare for it as I didn't *text deleted* go there with a chance I could fail and get setback alot longer as my pull ups do need a bit of work.

I feel like I've came across like I'm not that interested in making my application go quicker but it's more to do with not turning up preparing to fail at something I know physically wise I'm not up to standards with even if I do have some good scores in the other areas.
    I was hoping to start rt this year but with the setbacks and holdups I'm hoping to get a prmc in December time and hopefully rt in January/February which would make my application 9 months long but I feel I would be much better prepared physically wise rather than take a chance of failing but than come across as not interested which isn't the case.

What time usually does things happen in the rmad or how long is the day?

Cheers

2. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Not sure about the rest but as for your last question- one I'm on next month I believe is 10am-3pm. It's not really part of selection but more of an insight so don't worry about not getting good stats! Not sure about if it counts as a PJFT pass, if your AFCO say it does though then can't see any reason to believe otherwise.

3. Maestro

Maestro New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I did an RMAD back in April and it lasts the full day! When I went on it consisted of 2 1.5 runs, bleep test, press ups, sit ups, pull ups and a circuit in the afternoon! There was a few lads hoping the 1.5 mile return would count as a pjft but after they contacted ctc they were told they would still have to complete the pjft. All in all its a very good day!

4. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

If you don't feel ready, then I'd advise you to make this crystal clear to your AFCO? AFCO's are under pressure to recuit, and keep the ball moving, And keep the candidate moving forward also. At the end of the day it's your career, and if things are progressing at a pace which your not happy with, then that needs to be put across to your AFCO in a respectful and considered way. Either way, get your training done, and prepare your body in the best possible way going forward.

• Nailed It Nailed It x 2
  5. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

My bold. Just to echo the comment by @arny01 you should perhaps explicitly communicate this to your CA. Have a conversation, face-to-face if you can. Communication is the key!

Assuming that you haven't been in the application pipeline for about five years already :) there is no reason why your CA would pressure you to take a selection test which you're not confident to pass. Best of luck.

• Nailed It Nailed It x 2
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

The BFT used to be counted as a PJFT but unless things have changed (yet again), I don't believe it does anymore unless overseen by a PTI and sanctioned by CTC.

With regard the distance to an RMAD, if over 50 miles, your AFCO can book & pay for your ticket.

RMADs are not compulsory but if there are doubts about an individual's commitment and intent, they are a good way of demonstrating you mean business.

On the face of it, it sounds as though you are under unreasonable pressure to attend but in my experience there are always two sides to the story and I've absolutely no doubt the issue revolves around the individual perspective and often this is a result of poor communications.

Communications should be two-way. They often aren't.

7. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thankyou for all the replies appreciate it!

Yea they did mention they pay for the ticket for me but I was more concerned about the distance I have to travel and it bein a 1 day thing so didn't know how long rmad actually start and finish.

My afco is a nice guy always trying to go out his way to get me on things and push my application as quick as possible but with me failing my last medical it's kind of knocked me back a bit in regards to not wanting to jump to far ahead of myself until I've passed the crucial steps before prmc kinda like false hopes to some degree.

What I'm going to do is pass this medical 2nd time around in few weeks then ask that I *text deleted* prioritise the pjft more than anything else then passing that I will be more than happy to go on a rmad/day out on completion of those steps!