Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

RMBS Audition dates and standard required

Discussion in 'Royal Marines Band' started by Kilroy, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Kilroy

Kilroy New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Hey folks

Just a quick one (though it might be a long shot), but does anyone happen to have an idea as to when/how many auditions for the band service will be held next year?

Also, has the required musical standards for entry been changed? On the one hand I'm being told "Nah, it's still grade 6 minimum, no worries", and on the other "You've got no chance bud, you need to be at least grade 8". Safe to say, such conflicting info is driving me up the proverbial brick wall! -banghead-

• Like Like x 1
  2. rycbar

rycbar New Member

Dates are 23-27 April, 11-15 June and 9-13 July.
    The standard is different for some instruments - for most I believe it is Grade 5, but anything higher is good, you mainly need to be able to show versatility and the capacity to change instruments if required, e.g. when they test you on different instruments have some kind of transferable musical knowledge

• Like Like x 2
  3. Kilroy

Kilroy New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Spot on, thanks for clearing that all up!

4. CHUB!

CHUB! Careers Adviser

We have been told to accept grade 5 but not to ignore self taught talent. If we feel anybody is in with a chance then put them forward for consideration. Give Sgt Jon Moss a call in AFCO Liverpool 0151 707 3383 he is in the know.
    Hope this helps?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kilroy

Kilroy New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Really, really helpful, and quite reassuring to hear too, since I'm mostly self taught. I'll most certainly give him a call tomorrow and ask away. Thanks a lot!

6. jevans2456

jevans2456 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    Hi bit of advice from a current bandie. The standards set in AFCO's are more just a guide, what matters is how well you do when you get to Portsmouth.
    There are alot of people that walk through those gates on audition with diploma standard etc. and end the week without a job. The audition is also not completly about how well you can play, its to see and test your general musical ability and how well you would fit in as a member of a band. Humility plays a big part in the audition, the worst possible thing you could do is act like you are the best musician since Mozart!!

Good luck with your application!! What instrument do you play?

7. Kilroy

Kilroy New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Noted, thanks for the advice! No worries there, if anything I am my own worst critic... maybe not the best idea to start pointing out all of my flaws whilst down at Portsmouth though, hahah.

Currently auditioning on cornet.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

As an aside, back in the halcyon days when managing Liverpool AFCO (ah, those were the days), all 7 careers advisers were issued a "musical" instrument. Our resident Bandie had a desktop drumkit, there was a Swanee Whistle, Kazoo, Stylophone and the multi-talented @CHUB! had a bull horn and maracas.

Whenever anyone was spinning a dit it was usually punctuated at the appropriate point with a musical effect.

On occasion we used to recruit, too :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  9. Rover

Rover Moderator

Agh Britain’s Got Talent!o_O:):)

Answers on a postcard .......:confused:-doctor-

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I don't think the word talent fits really but there were moments of levity. It was not uncommon for the Naval Regional Commander, a Commodore, to bimble in and make some officer-like profound statement. There would usually be a silent pause, followed by a Banana Bunch-style, honk-honk to raise morale. The Commodore would walk away shaking his head to a drum roll and a cymbal crash.

When the Second Sea Lord visited, we were advised to can the musical comedy. We did. For the first ten minutes, anyway.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2