RMFA Correct Techniques

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

2. d3v

d3v Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Quick question that I've never been able to find answer on this site.

During the pressups are you allowed to rest in the lockout position or do you have to keep up with each consecutive beep. To the beep I can get 42 fairly easily, but if I pause rest for 8 seconds I can go on to around 50.

3. CSVern

CSVern Active Member

You have to keep up with the beeps. Same with sit-ups and pull-ups.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. d3v

d3v Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    What if you rest 2-3 seconds skipping maybe two beeps at most, then continue. Would the PTI's notice, care, ect?

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Yes & yes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CSVern

CSVern Active Member

All of the above. If you could rest they'd have left it at a 2 min best attempt.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  7. Sam1

Sam1 Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

A word of advice.. Its best to train to the beeps rather than just smashing out 60 press-ups, 7 pull-ups as fast as you can.
    On pull-ups, pause for a second at the top and pause at the bottom. Same with press-ups & sit-ups.
    ALOT of people say they can max out on these exercises, but when it comes to doing them to the beep with a pause after each rep they quickly get caught out.

Would they notice? More than likely
    Would they care? The scale of how much they would care cannot be measured..

• Hoofin Hoofin x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  8. d3v

d3v Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    During pressups are you allowed to "freefall" during the bend (negative) or do you have to lower yourself under strict control? I find if I allow myself to rapidly fall during the bend it helps preserve stamina for extra reps.

9. Notts.forest

Notts.forest Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    A
    as long as you don't smash your face into the floor getting blood everywhere I don't think they'll mind as long as your going down with the beep.

10. Xerath

Xerath Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    It's only press ups mate haha, no need to over-think them!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Quick question. I've noticed recently that my elbows don't touch the floor when returning to the lying position during the sit ups- about an inch off no matter how hard I try and press them down. I believe this is down to my shoulders being really inflexible (i.e can't even do weighted squats as I can't bend far back enough to get the bar to rest on the shoulders). Could I potentially be pulled on this and is there any ways to remedy?
    Thanks.

12. BoxSwallow

BoxSwallow Active Member

Yes you can potentially be pulled off for this:
    (From here: http://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/rmfa-and-beeps.96072/)

To remedy it you will need to improve you shoulder mobility and stretch your chest to fix this if you absolutely cannot get your elbows to touch the floor even when just completely fresh.

13. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Thank you, wouldn't have a clue where to start with this though, have obviously tried searching but it's all ad ridden bodybuilding.com videos so will have a proper look later, thanks though!

14. BoxSwallow

BoxSwallow Active Member

Here ya go, you want to start with this to warm up your upper body and shoulders so that the muscles are warm before you go into the static stretches:

Then try doing the first 2 of these (Down Dog on the wall and Around the World on the Wall):
    https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/3-yoga-poses-to-increase-overhead-shoulder-mobility
    And these:

So, 5-10 min Warm Up and 5 stretches try and fit them in 1-2x a day and you'll be golden.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Wow, really appreciate this! Thanks a lot!

• Like Like x 1