Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

RMR Advantages & Disadvantages

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by lawton86, Jan 11, 2011.

1. James.H

James.H Member

I would like to add also that the majority of the training team from my RMR Unit where either ex regular, current regular or reservists who had combat experience with the regular Corps. The standard is very high and so their expectations of you are as such. I loved it and genuinely was gutted if i couldnt make a det night

• Like Like x 1
  2. james9689

james9689 New Member

Thanks mate. I live in Leeds and there's a detachment literally about 3miles away from me so happy about that. I'm a self employed a plasterer and sometimes I have the odd one or two days off work thought the week do they let some come into det and crack on with some extra training or use the fercilitys for fitness?

3. James.H

James.H Member

No drama, you can use the gym although I do think there is an insurance requirement that you cannot be there alone but best to ask that when you are at Det for the presentation night. With regards to extra training, you wont be able to crack your own Rifle drills alone for sure haha however It is always worth getting your map reading skills sorted yourself, go to a local park/ national trust ground and have a go at doing some map reading (works best with a few of you). Or you can always go running :)

4. james9689

james9689 New Member

Haha shame! Yeah *text deleted* been revising on maps and rifle drills plus stripping. i have my folder full off everything I learnt at catretik in 2009.. Thanks for the info James good lucky with regulars :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. drewbythesea

drewbythesea New Member

Hi all, have got a presentation evening booked in prep for joining the RMR Tyne, just after some info on how many weekends I would be required to do. My civvy job rota is 2days on 2days off therefore only get 1 full weekend off a month, also 1 Saturday and 1sunday separatly. Would this stumble me joining?
    Thanks
    Drew

6. Crash_Monkey

Crash_Monkey Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Based on the details you've given and the timetable of my unit for phase 1A, yes.

We have basically completed an exercise every other weekend since the start of march, only now with two left before the phase 1A course in September are we getting longer breaks.

• Like Like x 2
  7. drewbythesea

drewbythesea New Member

Ah I thought that, gutter, hopefully I can sweet talk the boss, or change my job. Did you get a set programme of when your weekends away would be? This would prob help massively as I could rearrange my shifts with a bit of luck.
    Thanks for your reply
    Drew

8. Crash_Monkey

Crash_Monkey Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Yea we received a list of all Phase 1A weekends prior to starting - probably about two months in advance.

I can sympathise completely with your situation mate. I used to work shifts and had to gain two separate promotions to enable me to be able to afford to go back to 9-5 and undertake RMR training.

• Like Like x 1
  9. drewbythesea

drewbythesea New Member

Thanks for the info mate, it's took me 2years to win the missus and kids round then when I get ready to fully commit, my job gets in the way, think I had been a bit naive in thinking I could complete my training to my own plan, not realising you join a troop and all do it together. Never had a 9-5 job. Time to start looking.

10. James.H

James.H Member

you will learn that nothing you do in the RMR is on your own buddy haha it is great though if you can get it sorted. I was only in training for a few months and you really do get to know the other lads from different dets very well in those exercises.

• Like Like x 1
  11. drewbythesea

drewbythesea New Member

Fingers crossed mate, going along to my local unit early July to the presentation evening, can't wait just to go along and see the unit and how it all looks i apreciate your feedback thanks

12. wellmemedmyboy

wellmemedmyboy Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    What does this mean exactly? Thanks

13. Crash_Monkey

Crash_Monkey Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Exactly what it's says.... At this time, even trained ranks in the RMR must start recruit training from the beginning if they wish to transfer to the Regs.

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

RMR Trained Ranks, although qualified to operationally deploy within a regular service Commando unit, cannot transfer to the regular service as a trained rank. Under the current rules they must complete the 32 week Royal Marines Commando Recruit Training programme, the same as any other untrained civilian joiner.

15. Hades

Hades New Member

Do you know the reasoning behind that decision Ninja? (changing the rules I mean).

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

So far as I'm aware there are several reasons given. Currency & skill fade are always going to be an issue for those not doing the job on a regular daily basis. There will be people in the Reserves who may not have been on a field exercise for literally years & years. Conversely, there will be some who have deployed operationally several times recently, of course.

The other reason, I'm told, is those who have not encountered the holistic intensity of RM Recruit Training as a Regular, will differ from the "finished product" the Corps seeks to achieve. The argument goes that anyone completing the Commando Tests is a Commando, not a Royal Marines Commando.

Just to add, they are the reasons I've heard stated, not my own views necessarily.

• Like Like x 1
  17. johnsonca9

johnsonca9 Member

Any chance the whole new Reserve policy could have some more political motive as well @Ninja_Stoker

I know they are trying to slim the Regulars and up the number of Reserves, and it would make sense to make it easier to transfer from the Regs to Reserves, as per the seamless transfer, and harder to go the other way, hence making a trained rank start from scratch.

Or is that a pessimistic view?

18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

It is a "one way street" at present, it never used to be.

You make a valid point that the regular service is "toppers". Trained rank GD regulars, wishing to re-join, are only allowed to join the RMR at the moment because there is a shortfall in that area.

That said, I think there reasons stated above are the genuine reason otherwise we would not continue to recruit untrained individuals into the regular service.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Advantages/Disadvantages updated, post#2

20. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    What happens if an RMR rank sustains an injury? How is the rehabilitation done? Will the MOD pay for lost work?

For example: If there was a firefighter who broke his leg on exercise, needed time off work, treatment, physio Etc. will the MOD provide and pay for treatment, or will it be NHS bodge job, and throw money at proving it was the Persons fault not the Corps? and refusing to pay for treatment?

• Like Like x 1